Perth Characters who are now deid!

25e Ainslie Place

Tell us more !

Sorry, Sing. The gentleman in question probably has relatives still alive and living in Perth, so I would not cause them pain.

Mattie was murdered in the late fifties or early sixties and it seemed fairly common knowledge at the time as to who dunnit. He was never arrested or charged (to my knowledge) and it eventually faded. You could probably look it up in some Perth archive or other.

Smudge

Sorry, Sing. The gentleman in question probably has relatives still alive and living in Perth, so I would not cause them pain.

Mattie was murdered in the late fifties or early sixties and it seemed fairly common knowledge at the time as to who dunnit. He was never arrested or charged (to my knowledge) and it eventually faded. You could probably look it up in some Perth archive or other.

Smudge

1958. Must have done a good job as murder wasn't given as the official cause of death. When was it you fled the country Smudge? :wink:

• 9 months later...
I was very sad to belatedly hear of the passing of Stephen Spence at the age of 46 a couple of years ago.

I played in the same under 14s/under 16s with him although, unlike me, Spenny was a decent player in his youth.

Sad I wasn't able to pay my respects at the time.

RIP

i was at primary school and secondary with spenny and he was a braw player then.he would have been 49 by now.haven't forgot him .rip.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
banned me from the inch once cause we couldnt row the boat and was splashing everyone he thought we done it on purpose.
Yes splashing wis a banning probably right up there wie sinking,

Gie you your due haveny heard o anybody banned fie the Inch whit did he do put a big stamp on yir foreheid BANNED so the Parkies wid know to chase yir erse of the Inch

• 4 weeks later...
Beenie Campbell, Wee Chairlie and his missus defo Lord Robert is Andy Lindsay who sellt programs at Muirton still around big Simon the bobby when he used to tell us to get our arses of Burton the tailors window we moved like greyhounds:neutral::laugh::laugh:

Andy Lindsay, did he no have quite a few brothers and lived in Hunters?

A mention for Nick Soave who used to own the amusement arcade next to the Kings Bingo. He was a top bloke. Used to own FCA Toys and Sports in County Place, Videoland in Scott Street and a few other leisure interests. We used to give him stick but never meant him any harm by it. I mind one time about 84ish the Motherwell Saturday Service armed themselves with handfuls of spuds from Martins Fruit Bazaar along the street and attacked the arcade in a hail of Maris Pipers.

Did Nick Soave used to own The Burns at one point? Also, Henry Guillanoti ran the Bee Bar, didn't he?

Did Nick Soave used to own The Burns at one point? Also, Henry Guillanoti ran the Bee Bar, didn't he?

Aye, Nick ran the Cherries Lounge (aka The Burns) as it was at the time. Nick was some boy, Daintee chews were 2p at the time and I gave him five pence and asked for 2 chews. He looked around to make sure no one was looking and goes "There's three, son." :shock:

I knew Nick and his laddie. My Uncle married one o their clan. We used to never be oot o the Methven St arcade, playing pinball rather than the puggies. Nick used tae sit in that wee kiosk and gie us a row for shakin the machines too hard. He had a ready laugh though and wis always up for a bit crack. FCA was quite a big firm at one point, owned a few puggies around the land.