January Transfer Speculation Thread

john1962

What a load of pish Tommy...

MacKay has played over 80 games in the SPL ..

Rusty made 53 appearances for Aberdeen in the SPL..

Gartland is a class act..

Caff has over 50 appearances in the SPL for ICT

Anderson is only 23 and is a decent player who will get better.

Grainger has played 30 plus SPL games and is only 23

Well said Ghostie, the only thing that worries me is Graingers pace, too slow against a quick winger. I'd agree with the rest.

Its been said elsewhere that we are defending too deep. I wonder if this is the strategy because we were raped against Motherwell and the lack of pace on both flanks.......

Yeah, possibly. Falkirk had an amazing amount of success by poking a ball over the top of our defensive line and running onto it when we we were pushing forward. You could always use Rusty's first game back as an excuse but I think we suffer from a real lack of pace at the back.

Edited by ryangordon86

we have no proven SPL defenders in our squad. ie

mackay- firtst devision player for many years

rusty- first devsion player

gatland- irish league player

mccaffrey- free transfer from ICT (cause hes not gd enough)

anderson- free transfer from the arabs (not gd enough obv)

grainger- became thrid choice for the arabs so again not gd enough.

so basically not up 2 SPL quality.

But at the same time you suggest it was a mistake not keeping Derek Holmes (free from league two ROTHERHAM none the less, not good enough). Very bizarre.

Grainger was an ever present for Utd until they brought in Paul Dixon, who for me is one of the better full backs in the SPL

What a load of pish Tommy...

MacKay has played over 80 games in the SPL ..

Rusty made 53 appearances for Aberdeen in the SPL..

Gartland is a class act..

Caff has over 50 appearances in the SPL for ICT

Anderson is only 23 and is a decent player who will get better.

Grainger has played 30 plus SPL games and is only 23

so ghostie! wot u r saying is the defenders we have r spl quality. what a load of PISH! 23 goals against. u heard the saying 1 nill 2 the arsenal! it speaks for its self ghoastie 23 goals against i thought u would ken better.

so ghostie! wot u r saying is the defenders we have r spl quality. what a load of PISH! 23 goals against. u heard the saying 1 nill 2 the arsenal! it speaks for its self ghoastie 23 goals against i thought u would ken better.

are you the reincarnation of the guy i was "debating" youth systems with recently? forget your password or something?

23 goals against. read ghosties stats on shots on goal and you'll see where our problems lie. Main conceded almost 50% of all shots on target, where as Allan Macgregor had conceded about 15%. Where exactly is the defence going wrong? It's easy to criticise but how about coming up with a potential replacement withing our budget?

are you the reincarnation of the guy i was "debating" youth systems with recently? forget your password or something?

23 goals against. read ghosties stats on shots on goal and you'll see where our problems lie. Main conceded almost 50% of all shots on target, where as Allan Macgregor had conceded about 15%. Where exactly is the defence going wrong? It's easy to criticise but how about coming up with a potential replacement withing our budget?

Just what I was saying :wink:

is it not the defenders job 2 stop letting shots on target rangers defenders r all internationals class thats why mcgregor has only 15% cause he dosent get half the shots main gets. mark mclaughlin from hamilton i think saints r a bigger club than them and hes spl quality. and i think van zanten would help hes still young and played for scotland under 21 hes only singed 2 morton untill january.

is it not the defenders job 2 stop letting shots on target rangers defenders r all internationals class thats why mcgregor has only 15% cause he dosent get half the shots main gets. mark mclaughlin from hamilton i think saints r a bigger club than them and hes spl quality. and i think van zanten would help hes still young and played for scotland under 21 hes only singed 2 morton untill january.

Euan McLean's played for Scotland Under 21's:cool:

I maybe better rephrase it... It has nothing to do with defence, Main and Macgregor both had pretty much the same amount of shots hitting the target so that international defence didn't really make much difference.

I don't have the exact figures to hand but it was something like this...

Alan Main had around 46 shots on target, he conceded over 20.

Alan Magregor had about the same, possibly 49, he conceded either 6 or 9, again can't quite remember. someone feel free to correct me!

Go back and have a look at the goals that we have let in then come back and and start your argument again. I've no problem with the defence. A change in keeper is a good thing. Main has had his time but for me it's time to move on.

as everybody knows the first job in football is build ur team from the back make them hard to beat which unfortunately we are not doing.

That mentality is what makes football boring. I wasn't lucky enough to witness the days of teams playing 4 upfront. I'd rather watch us playing good football, scoring and conceding that watch us playing a boring defensive formation every week.

Football isn't about not getting beat, it's about winning. Scoring more than the opposition. Taking into account the drubbing at Parkhead, we've not done all that badly considering we've been missing our captain

im just trying to put a point over lads we have the worst defensive record in the spl how can we put it right my suggestion is signing defenders and not looking for strikers yet. because as everybody knows the first job in football is build ur team from the back make them hard to beat which unfortunately we are not doing.

Give me a 3-2 win over a 1-0, that's what we are getting this season. Best start to a season I can rememeber in over 30 years of watching Saints.

That mentality is what makes football boring. I wasn't lucky enough to witness the days of teams playing 4 upfront. I'd rather watch us playing good football, scoring and conceding that watch us playing a boring defensive formation every week.

Football isn't about not getting beat, it's about winning. Scoring more than the opposition. Taking into account the drubbing at Parkhead, we've not done all that badly considering we've been missing our captain

we are scoring thats my point second top goalscorers in the spl but we are conceding more than we are scoring in most games. so i dont want saints to get beat 5-4 i would rarther see them 1-0 surely do u agree. thats why im on about the defensive sort it out