Perthshire Advertiser

THE LARK SAINT

Tuesday addition up 5p to 90p:Personally i only buy it for Saints stuff and the occasional photo!:wink: Dont know what the friday addition will be up yet but i assume it will go up too! Does any one else think its poor value now a-days? does any one still buy it?

Bannerman's sattirical reports are worth reading, the rest is crap. If we beat the **** this year, we should a sing for Gordon...

Tuesday addition up 5p to 90p:Personally i only buy it for Saints stuff and the occasional photo!:wink: Dont know what the friday addition will be up yet but i assume it will go up too! Does any one else think its poor value now a-days? does any one still buy it?

i read it on line dosen't cost nowt.shame theres not enuff photos.

I read all i want to about saints on here from 101 and the like.

Could you not find the ignore button?:laugh:

In all honesty, most of the factual correct "gossip" doesn't get posted on the forum anymore, which is a great shame, if an inevitability. The respected forumers tend to pass information via pm. Good and bad, I suppose.

We get the PA every Tuesday and Friday. The only reason is habit though. It is pretty shite, in fact it's really, really shite these days. I tend to read about Saints, the hatches, matches and dispatches and the letters page ( although this is now really, really pish as well).. and chec out the photos. They have changed the print/format in the last few weeks and that has made it even worse..And at 90p a stab it is ****ing awful value especially Tuesday when it's thinner than a Lehman Brothers emploees wallet..I think that they should drop the Tuesday edition all together and go for a thick , better Friday edition..

The layout of it is hopeless now. Really don't like it at all. It reminds me of when I did the uni newspaper, and even then, our production values were just about better. And this was a paper produced by hungover (actually, most of the time still drunk) students with no money and with full-time degree courses and part-time jobs to contend with.

The problem now is that the paper's editor also edits the Stirling Observer now, so I'd imagine the leadership is disappearing - probably not helped by the fact that long-time staffer Les Stewart, the deputy editor, is also on his way out. Also, the paper is subbed in Stirling by a small team who also have the Stirling Observer, Stirling News, Strathearn Herald and probably more to deal with. That doesn't help with quality in terms of spelling, grammar and layout.

The reporters are good and try their hardest, but as far as I can tell (and this is from speaking to former employees) there's no real incentive to go a step further and make it a better paper. The same goes for the Stirling Observer, which is a truly god-awful newspaper these days.

The common theme? Both Scottish and Universal Newspapers, owned by Trinity Mirror.

Contrast these papers to, for example, the Alloa Advertiser and the Wee County News - two papers in a small town which are fighting against each other, and as a result produce decent papers that, albeit pretty thin, are full of decent content and have driven staff.

The same goes for the Falkirk Herald - probably the best local paper in Scotland for my money. Its coverage of the area is superb, as is its sport.

Put it this way, you'll see stories from Alloa and Falkirk's local papers constantly followed up in the national press. It happens much less often with stories from the PA.

i agree with you.i dont think they even warned us about a price rise.i think we are subsidising the perth shopper junk that comes through our letterboxes.as i have said before the PA lost its way ages ago.very sad.

The layout of it is hopeless now. Really don't like it at all. It reminds me of when I did the uni newspaper, and even then, our production values were just about better. And this was a paper produced by hungover (actually, most of the time still drunk) students with no money and with full-time degree courses and part-time jobs to contend with.

OFF TOPIC TIME but has to be said .the above is one reason students shouldnt get cheaper entry to fooball or any other discounts.they are always bleeting about being hard done by but like a good sesh,spending all there money on booze.

Always really disappoints me when I go back to Perth to see what's become of the PA. The Saints coverage is still excellent, but the rest of the paper has become pretty horrendous - far too tabloidy and interested in mounting various campaigns about not-very-much. My impression of it now is also that there seems to be an increasing amount of non-Perth stuff - the most obvious example being the music section, which used to be all about local Perth bands and gigs, but often now seems to carry reviews of stuff that's happened in Weegieland and the like. Personally, I lost all faith in it after it published a Rangers competition a few years back and the editor responded by implying that those who complained about it were bigots. Never really accepted the paper in the same way after that.

I only read it to see who was going to Jail, as I have been out of the town for 8 years the people I once knew must either all be inside, or deid. These new criminals are not known by me! :laugh::wink:

I have a quick scan when I am at my folks house, usually every other Saturday but wouldnt pay good money for it.

• 8 months later...

To bump this back up, today's PA has really pissed me off. Ridiculous.

Yesterday a Coupar Angus man was convicted of murdering another local teenager by stabbing him 11 times and dumping his body in a burn on the outskirts of the town.

You may think a major national news story like this would be all over the front of the PA, with a court report, a series of pictures, perhaps some interviews with family/friends, reaction from police and prosecutors and some background on it.

What do we have instead? 10 paragraphs on an inside page with no pictures or anything, which were lifted from STV's website then butchered and rewritten in a god-awful manner. They didn't even bother to send a reporter the 20 miles down to the court in Dundee for the verdict.

And what's on the front page? Something featurey and fluffy about two boys who have joined the army and who "recently" (note - that could have been any time in the last three months I reckon) had a passing out party and donated the money to Help for Heroes. Admirable indeed, but not a strong hard news story by any means.

Really poor stuff, and indicative of the state of the paper these days. Saints coverage is still top-notch, but as a journalist this kind of thing really irritates me!

To bump this back up, today's PA has really pissed me off. Ridiculous.

Yesterday a Coupar Angus man was convicted of murdering another local teenager by stabbing him 11 times and dumping his body in a burn on the outskirts of the town.

You may think a major national news story like this would be all over the front of the PA, with a court report, a series of pictures, perhaps some interviews with family/friends, reaction from police and prosecutors and some background on it.

What do we have instead? 10 paragraphs on an inside page with no pictures or anything, which were lifted from STV's website then butchered and rewritten in a god-awful manner. They didn't even bother to send a reporter the 20 miles down to the court in Dundee for the verdict.

And what's on the front page? Something featurey and fluffy about two boys who have joined the army and who "recently" (note - that could have been any time in the last three months I reckon) had a passing out party and donated the money to Help for Heroes. Admirable indeed, but not a strong hard news story by any means.

Really poor stuff, and indicative of the state of the paper these days. Saints coverage is still top-notch, but as a journalist this kind of thing really irritates me!

:laugh:

That's ludicrous. Whoever's editing the PA these days is either incompetent or doesn't give a ****.

By contrast The Courier - which, incidentally, is also not a paper I rate - had it front page, with an additional full inside page of background and reaction.

I'd imagine the PA is existing purely thanks to habitual buyers now. There's just no reason for anyone to go out of their way to buy it any more.

Edited by MiguelSimao

This of course is a paper which ran on its front and an inside page a few weeks ago the story about a junkie's dog which is about to be destroyed for biting a police man. It has seem to go downhill really quickly over the last few weeks, perhaps I've just read more of dennis browns drivel which seems to pass as newsworthy

It's quite sad because when it's gone we'll all lament it's demise. As someone who left Perth 20 years, I still enjoy it but I guess that's the rose tinted spectacles. I always buy it in Perth but more for the chance of seeing someone from school getting married/getting the jail etc. Think the Saints coverage is still good. As an informative newspaper it just seems a bit twee.