City Hall

Jamie_Beatson

Perths first and only City architect (1964-1975) David Cockburn has appealed to his former employers PKC to save the City Hall from demolition.

He believes that the plans put forward by Perth City Market Trus have great merit.

He sites the fact that the City Hall had bookings two years in advance.

This remained the situation while the new Concert Hall was being built.

He had a meeting with the then head of the Concert Hall, (Jane Spiers) and produced a list of bookings for the previous two years of the City Hall and found ONLY 20% of the bookings would have been appropriately accommodated in the Concert Hall.

Thus 80% has been lost to the Council through their own inept decision making.

Vibrant Council, don't make me laugh or I might end up with tears in my eyes.

That church is a good building and worth trying to preserve. That said, it isn't architecturally important as far as I'm aware so if investors can't be found then it should be replaced with something which does benefit the town.

what is good about it tear it down before it falls down

ps we are a city like in city hall

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

People have until 14th March 2014 to register their opposition to the demolition of the City Hall by sending a letter to the Council.

As the Council passed a motion for demolition at their last meeting, time is now running out to save it by acting now.

This is a set of Councillors' (and their predecessors) who have been selling all the City's assets, without consulting the people who elected them.

The Councillors failed the citizens of Perth at the outset (the original sale) by entrusting the building to a company who had no intention of developing the building and as a result the said councillors have not worked hard enough over the past 5 or 6 years to find and approve a suitable option for the building.

Shame on the lot of them.    

Is the Lesser City Hall in existence and is it used. Some of the "Disco's" we whad late seventies/early eighties were quite frightening. 

If you ever move back to Perth, you're going to be sorely disappointed when you find Perth has kept pace with the rest of the world and we're not stuck in the late seventies/early eighties.

Don't understand why anyone would oppose the demolition.  It's an eyesore, no-one wants to use it for anything - knock it down.

a real eyesore is the church with scaffolding around it at the top of the high street.shouldn't the council knock that down.surely it would be much cheaper than knocking the city hall down.

a real eyesore is the church with scaffolding around it at the top of the high street.shouldn't the council knock that down.surely it would be much cheaper than knocking the city hall down.

You're right about the church.  However, doesn't make the City Hall any less of an eyesore and wouldn't afford the same opportunities as knocking the City Hall down.

i submitted a proposal when this subject asked for them,i wonder if it will be accepted now if i resubmit it again that the building be knocked down but retain the features on front of building(ie Brandenburg Gate,Arc de triumph etc) after all it worked in Woolich South London when they knocked the old barracks down to make way for the new prison

Why would you want to knock it down the infrastructure is sound, could be put to good use if the city planners used there heads and marketed it property, its use is limitless, I asked the question last year why there were only 300 tickets for poty awards to be told that was the capacity, you could get 1000+ in there.

Edited by sixties saintee

Why would you want to knock it down the infrastructure is sound, could be put to good use if the city planners used there heads and marketed it property, its use is limitless, I asked the question last year why there were only 300 tickets for poty awards to be told that was the capacity, you could get 1000+ in there.

There's hardly a queue of people wanting to buy it or use it in any way though.  The main reason I would like to see if knocked down though is that is a horrible, ugly building.

A 5 Star hotel! With nae windows. Keep on toking. I can see Gleneagles bricking up their windows to compete.

The key fact from his article is:

"More than £100,000 has been spent on the building’s maintenance since its closure".

Correct.  It's a drain on the public purse.  Perth Council should be ashamed of themselves.  More interested in harrassing a shopowner who paints her shop pink than sorting out any of the many eyesores in the city.