City Hall

Jamie_Beatson

Burn it down! Woop woop. Let's tear that mother down.

Seriously, I wonder how much money it has cost to go down all these various dead ends routes and keep the eyesore standing for all this time, when they could easily have reached this same conclusion years ago.

:shock:

you havin a laff me old cock sparra???/

great building , part of perth ,part of perths history....

it will stand there for years and years...... do you seriously want to knock it down and maybe replace it with a new so called new era building which will be an eyesore.

we have had too many old buildings with character being lost in perth over the years and when they are gone they are gone forever.........

away and boil yur heed. :wink:

Aye , thats right, you just decide that part of out heritage should be wiped out and you dont even bloody stay here!!

The City hall is a MAGNIFICENT building. A building with a huge historical content for Perth.

You pay your poll tax here then you can decide to make our city all glass and bloody plastic.

Pish, it has no historical significance whatsoever. Knock the ****er down and leave an open space in between the Kirk and King Edward Streeet. Down with it!

An alternative to complete demolition should be looked at where the front is retained as the photograph above shows and the remainder removed.

Alternative would be to just open the building up for free, and making it a modern museum where Dundee art students can display their work.

Either way, I dont really care, Id rather see Woolies building removed before the city hall. The Woolies building on the high street is not in keeping with the city centre and is now derlict for a long time to come. Rip it down now and make a proper street market space.

The City Hall has outlived its purpose, isn't all that attractive (those cherubs terrify me) and isn't architecturally significant in any way. And I know many share that opinion.

Nothing useful will ever be made of it - keeping it would be simply for the sake of not knocking down an old, useless building.

Knock it down and do something forward thinking and progressive with that whole area.

Create a beautiful city square surrounded by the cobbled streets that already exist, allowing a view down to the far more historic and beautiful St John's Kirk and creating a communal space that has far more amenity for the public. Encourage the cafe's that exist either side of the city hall to flourish and landscape the area that is currently the city hall - maybe install a nice fountain or something.

It would revitalise the ailing city centre in my opinion.

Put it this way - its never going to be used for retail or the arts. So its just going to sit there empty.

Aye , thats right, you just decide that part of out heritage should be wiped out and you dont even bloody stay here!!

The City hall is a MAGNIFICENT building. A building with a huge historical content for Perth.

You pay your poll tax here then you can decide to make our city all glass and bloody plastic.

I didn't say I should get to make the decision. I was merely passing my opinion, as you yourself are now doing. Not sure where I said I wanted to make Perth "all glass and bloody plastic" either.

In my opinion the City Hall is an ugly, useless building; it casts a hideous shadow over the city centre, ruins the view and skyline of the town, and is a derelict waste of both space and money. I certainly don't see anything "magnificent" about it, but then each to their own. And just because something is historic doesn't by default make it good.

The City Hall has outlived its purpose, isn't all that attractive (those cherubs terrify me) and isn't architecturally significant in any way. And I know many share that opinion.

Nothing useful will ever be made of it - keeping it would be simply for the sake of not knocking down an old, useless building.

Knock it down and do something forward thinking and progressive with that whole area.

Create a beautiful city square surrounded by the cobbled streets that already exist, allowing a view down to the far more historic and beautiful St John's Kirk and creating a communal space that has far more amenity for the public. Encourage the cafe's that exist either side of the city hall to flourish and landscape the area that is currently the city hall - maybe install a nice fountain or something.

It would revitalise the ailing city centre in my opinion.

Put it this way - its never going to be used for retail or the arts. So its just going to sit there empty.

is that the answer to anything old and you dont like ????? knock it down...

shame shame shame............:sad:

Not at all. I appreciate good buildings and architecture (my dad's influence as an architect!) - but can't stand the City Hall. It has absolutely no purpose anymore.

I believe in preserving our history where its appropriate. But when you are preserving a building that serves no purpose when the alternative would be to create something unique and attractive, I reckon demolition is a good option.

No, but something shouldn't be kept just because it's old either.

once they are gone they are gone........ modernisation isnt always the best way forward..................

yes knock it down and make a big square with fountains and trees and seats and why not add a YELLOW BRICK ROAD too for all the jakies and druggies to follow so they can sit there all day and beg the tourists (if any) that would save them walking the streets to do it.........

once they are gone they are gone........ modernisation isnt always the best way forward..................

yes knock it down and make a big square with fountains and trees and seats and why not add a YELLOW BRICK ROAD too for all the jakies and druggies to follow so they can sit there all day and beg the tourists (if any) that would save them walking the streets to do it.........

That is just what they use the City Hall for now :roll: It is full of pigeons, has seating that is truly awful inside and is a public irritation.

Nobody on here has said anything about glass and plastic, the idea of a central piazza for Perth is much more appealing than watching a crumbling old wreck fall apart. The sandstone will start to give way soon and then you will get the whole town centre closed off as it will become unsafe. May as well do something about it now and let the people of Perth enjoy a large open square in the centre where they can relax or ponder over St John's kirk.

Nothing has been said about fountains and trees either, I would see it being a focal point for the town where the farmers and continental markets can go, displays can be set up etc. This is what you get in loads of other towns and cities all over Scotland, the UK and the world.

I don't think anyone's saying that modernisation is always the best way forward - just that it is in this particular case. Surely individual cases should be looked at on their own merits, rather than just keeping something because it's old, or not doing something because it's new. What would you like to see done with the city hall?

I genuinely believe that Perth people ( outsiders dont count ) would want to demolish and dismiss out history in such a petulant manner.

The internals should be utilised for something.

Such as?

After all the knock it down brigade get their way with the City Hall then where next? St Johns Kirk? Turn the North Church into another huge Retail pub?

No. I haven't seen anyone suggest any of those things, other than yourself. Nobody's saying that all old or historic buildings should be knocked down, so I don't know why you're trying to imply that they are. People are talking about this one, specific building.

That is just what they use the City Hall for now :roll: It is full of pigeons, has seating that is truly awful inside and is a public irritation.

Nobody on here has said anything about glass and plastic, the idea of a central piazza for Perth is much more appealing than watching a crumbling old wreck fall apart. The sandstone will start to give way soon and then you will get the whole town centre closed off as it will become unsafe. May as well do something about it now and let the people of Perth enjoy a large open square in the centre where they can relax or ponder over St John's kirk.

Nothing has been said about fountains and trees either, I would see it being a focal point for the town where the farmers and continental markets can go, displays can be set up etc. This is what you get in loads of other towns and cities all over Scotland, the UK and the world

how is it a public irritation? ..........

the interior can be modernised to a decent standard........

you are being a bit over dramatic with the whole of the city centre being closed down are you not? and we have 2 large open spaces that people can sit and relax and ponder already , the north and south inches.....

jamie beatson mentioned fountains in his post i think you will find :rolleyes:

so we knock down the city hall so farmers and people from the continent can have markets ...........

it rhymes with frollocks :wink:

how is it a public irritation? ..........

the interior can be modernised to a decent standard........

you are being a bit over dramatic with the whole of the city centre being closed down are you not? and we have 2 large open spaces that people can sit and relax and ponder already , the north and south inches.....

jamie beatson mentioned fountains in his post i think you will find :rolleyes:

so we knock down the city hall so farmers and people from the continent can have markets ...........

it rhymes with frollocks :wink:

Ok, hook line and sinker :laugh::oops::laugh:

The front facade could be decorative at a pinch (left standing Brandenburg Gate style?) but the rest of it is a rectangular concrete box. Beatson has mentioned its lack of architectural significance and like it or not the Horsecross concert hall has taken over its function. It's all very well bleating on about the good old days but what about tomorrow? The council have tried everything to give it second life and nobody's interested. Unless some of the Pro-Hall mob want to spend their time and money keeping a derelict building standing then it should be torn down.

The city square idea would get my vote. Having recently returned from central Europe it would be great to see some of the markets and festive events in a central environment like that. Throughout the year expanded farmers markets and such would be a great boost to the town and local businesses. More so than misty eyed pie in the sky plans for the inside of this hideous looking civic embarrassment.

The front facade could be decorative at a pinch (left standing Brandenburg Gate style?) It's all very well bleating on about the good old days but what about tomorrow? The council have tried everything to give it second life and nobody's interested. Unless some of the Pro-Hall mob want to spend their time and money keeping a derelict building standing then it should be torn down.

More so than misty eyed pie in the sky plans for the inside of this hideous looking civic embarrassment.

35lykhs.jpg:wink: