City Hall

Jamie_Beatson

The front pillars and steps moved to the other side of road opening onto a square (or rectangle to the pedants out there) and maybe even some kind of pillars or gateway from South St and from the High St. Giving it a grand entrance is what it needs. Perth sorely lacks character but this building is not fit for anything. Think we should take it upon ourselves to start the demolition.  Everyone meet there on Sunday evening, bring your picks and hammers. 

Buy a sandstone block (or two )

My dad took me to the boxing in the City Hall, which I suppose started my interest in boxing.

When was the last bout in there?

Is there any interest in boxing in there in the future, as I don't know of any other venues locally.

Boxing seems to be having a revival.

aye turn it into a sports hall. Boxing/Martial arts arena. Maybe even a return of the Tennants sixes. Best idea I've actually heard.

• 1 year later...

• Probably go for the one with the stupid step ladder at the front.

I would go for the one built from a Meccano Set myself, that would surely be cheaper.  Bit out of touch down here and am in any case an unreconstructed "ca it doon and let's have a lovely square with St John's Kirk as a feature" guy, but who is going to pay for all this?

• 1 month later...

In fact forget about the links to designs online.  Public were only given 12 days window to review and comment... seems Fast tracking is the primary option.   Window is now closed..

Missed it.

Surely something like this ought to have a longer consultation period?

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

I've always liked it, Horsecross is a monstrosity and a waste o money.

They built horsecross then refurbished the theater and struggled for funding as they weren't filling the venues. Now they turn city hall into a museum are they going to struggle with two museums or is the next saga going to be what to do with the museum building. I know they mentioned art gallery but does Perth require such a big building for art.

3 hours ago, saintgscot said:

They built horsecross then refurbished the theater and struggled for funding as they weren't filling the venues. Now they turn city hall into a museum are they going to struggle with two museums or is the next saga going to be what to do with the museum building. I know they mentioned art gallery but does Perth require such a big building for art.

Yeah,seemed a bit strange in the present economic situation but our council love spending our money. E G spending millions lighting up buildings & selling a building ,probably worth a £ million for a pound.