St Johnstone's Public Relations

O'Rourke

The SLO role is a joke. 

The lass is an authentic and respected fan of the club, but it's meant to be an independent appointment. Not one from within.

My views on the conduct of the club, never mind fans, are well known.

How is it meant to be independent? Surely the Slo has to be from within the club thus the liaison role. 

For what it's worth I have spoken to her on several occasions and every time the matter was dealt with well and quickly. 

As for some of the comments today on this thread I suspect someone has been in the pub. 

How is it meant to be independent? Surely the Slo has to be from within the club thus the liaison role. 

For what it's worth I have spoken to her on several occasions and every time the matter was dealt with well and quickly. 

As for some of the comments today on this thread I suspect someone has been in the pub. 

The SLO movement gained momentum in Scandinavia, where the reps are taken from supporter groups rather than a club employee. 

I think what St Johnstone are doing is pretty dodgy in respect of impartiality. I know who the SLO is, and have nothing but good to say about them, their background and connection to saints, but they are an employee of the club and therein is a conflict of interest for the SLO role.

If someone has been in the pub, does that negate their view..... do we need to adhere to a behavior policy here too? Are you the tannoy guy :)

Imagine the grief if we were bottom 6 and fighting for survival?

For what its worth the three best moves Saints have made away from the playing side of the business in recent years have been the retention of Paul Smith, the appointment (and promotion) of Roddy Grant and the recent appointment of our SLO.

Its a business, its being run like a business and its a successful business. 

For what its worth the three best moves Saints have made away from the playing side of the business in recent years have been the retention of Paul Smith, the appointment (and promotion) of Roddy Grant and the recent appointment of our SLO.

It is being run as a business, that sometimes gets grants from the government in various ways, and has no independent fan representation at any level.

Agree that Paul Smith is a irreplaceable stalwart. He was, for all intents and purposes a type of SLO, until we were obliged to make the role formal.  

The SLO role at SJFC is a joke.

Edited by MySpazz

The SLO movement gained momentum in Scandinavia, where the reps are taken from supporter groups rather than a club employee. 

I think what St Johnstone are doing is pretty dodgy in respect of impartiality. I know who the SLO is, and have nothing but good to say about them, their background and connection to saints, but they are an employee of the club and therein is a conflict of interest for the SLO role.

If someone has been in the pub, does that negate their view..... do we need to adhere to a behavior policy here too? Are you the tannoy guy :)

The slo role is a requirement. And they have to be an employee of the Club. 

"The SLO role requires clubs participating in UEFA competitions to appoint a full-time member of staff to work and engage with supporters, acting as a key point of contact. The introduction of this licensing requirement constitutes a landmark in club-supporter relations and emphasises the importance attached to dialogue and communication between clubs and fans."

Some folk are just wanting to moan. It does not matter what Saints do they will find something or some one to moan about.  

The slo role is a requirement. And they have to be an employee of the Club. 

"The SLO role requires clubs participating in UEFA competitions to appoint a full-time member of staff to work and engage with supporters, acting as a key point of contact. The introduction of this licensing requirement constitutes a landmark in club-supporter relations and emphasises the importance attached to dialogue and communication between clubs and fans."

They can make anyone an employee. It could be someone from the FCU, if that was the pain point at the club

Some folk are just wanting to moan. It does not matter what Saints do they will find something or some one to moan about.  

Not so. But I am critical of the "closed" nature of the club and its attitude towards the average fan. Most noted recently with the actions in regards FCU.

They can make anyone an employee. It could be someone from the FCU, if that was the pain point at the club

Not so. But I am critical of the "closed" nature of the club and its attitude towards the average fan. Most noted recently with the actions in regards FCU.

The FCU have nobody to blame except themselves

I really missed the atmosphere they create on Saturday, but they created the situation where the club HAD to take appropriate steps

Lets not pretend these were just a group of keen young lads wanting to enjoy supporting their team. 

The FCU have nobody to blame except themselves

I really missed the atmosphere they create on Saturday, but they created the situation where the club HAD to take appropriate steps

Lets not pretend these were just a group of keen young lads wanting to enjoy supporting their team. 

I don't pretend they were anything other than young lads.

But with so many people who say they know how to behave, how comes the club never worked out how to work with them, retain their business, and the atmosphere. Two major criticisms "no fans, no atmosphere" they were part of a solution, but they were also outside of what the club knows what to do with; because they are a closed shop who do things in one or two ways.

Like i said, an SLO from within the FCU (or elsewhere outside of the inner sanctum of the club) might have been a good start. The club can have 100 SLOs if they wanted. But that might mean humility. 

As things stand  the SLO role at SJFC is a joke.

Edited by MySpazz

Yes they can make anyone an employee but the slo represents the club and ALL the fans at the club. The unsavoury group that attached themselves to the FCU are iam glad to say not representative of the majority of saints fans. 

The club dealt perfectly with the FCU situation. Any sensible person would agree. As for the tannoy announcer warning against naughty behaviour prior to a match, I can recall Kevin being required to do the same thing on occasion. It happens at stadiums all around the country. Maybe it didn't happen in the 1970s, but it certainly happens now. Deal with it. And don't blame the tannoy announcer for it.

The club dealt perfectly with the FCU situation. Any sensible person would agree. As for the tannoy announcer warning against naughty behaviour prior to a match, I can recall Kevin being required to do the same thing on occasion. It happens at stadiums all around the country. Maybe it didn't happen in the 1970s, but it certainly happens now. Deal with it. And don't blame the tannoy announcer for it.

How would you ken where you going to games in the 70's ?

Saints are not exactly a paradigm of cutting edge (which is cool in some ways). SO I love this thing where people say "Oh it's not the 1970s".

It's the lamest come back ever......

I agree

also I like your use of the word paradigm.

And it's not the 80's either.

The SLO is an independent position which reports directly to the CEO and is not affiliated to any single Department within Celtic Park, this means that fans have an independent representative putting their views forward.

http://www.celticfc.net/pages/supporterliaisonofficer

The SLO should
therefore be chosen from among the supporters.
The SLO must be present among them. The SLO
must know them and be known and accepted by them. Only then can they assess the mood among
supporters. 

http://bristolcitysupporters.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/SLO-job-specification.pdf

The supporter liaison role is effectively covered by a number of people within the Club covering the key areas of ticketing, operations, match day experience and communications. One person is nominated as Supporter Liaison Co-ordinator, who is responsible for ensuring that all SLO communications and feedback are dealt with by the correct department and that the necessary actions are delivered.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/fans/lfc-supporter-liaison-officer/about-the-supporters-liaison-officer

. The SLO has to be an advocate of both sides, to be impartial, and to represent
the views of both club and fans fairly, unbiased and without prejudice. Neither club nor fans may be
seen to be favoured by the SLOs.

There's four views from four clubs, feel free to read the other 100 that are listed here

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=supporter+liaison+officer+job+description&rlz=1C1CHJX_enGB559GB559&oq=supporter+lia&aqs=chrome.3.0j69i57j0l4.5587j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm just coming to the thread now, to see why so many pages. Read the last couple of pages as you do... Definitely not reading the rest of it.  What a strange debate.. I kept thinking if there had been a typo and was supposed to be replacing SLO with the dude who is SLF.... makes a funnier read if you take it as SLF instead of SLO

anyways, not sure I'll be poppin back to this rambling topic.  New movement should be vote SLF for SLO!

C'mon now, that's a bit of a piss take surely? Of course they wanted to enjoy supporting the team.

Of course some wanted to enjoy kicking **** out of other like minded neds from other teams too. But hey you can't win them all :lol:

Dave, It's maybe because I asked her if they could pay the Edinburgh contingents train fares to Aberdeen next week!!:wink:

But was just asking the question if the club ever considered the saints away support from other places when they make these gestures, as a good part of the away support don't come from Perth (we could drive to Perth for the Dons game and get the bus, but not for Celtic). I am quite happy to pay my own travel to Aberdeen and have booked already along with a number of others from Edinburgh, as we are having a day on the peeve, just interested in the party line.

Also Swanson can stick his forced gesture where the sun doesn't shine, take the boy out of Leith, but can't.........

Dave, It's maybe because I asked her if they could pay the Edinburgh contingents train fares to Aberdeen next week!!:wink:

But was just asking the question if the club ever considered the saints away support from other places when they make these gestures, as a good part of the away support don't come from Perth (we could drive to Perth for the Dons game and get the bus, but not for Celtic). I am quite happy to pay my own travel to Aberdeen and have booked already along with a number of others from Edinburgh, as we are having a day on the peeve, just interested in the party line.

Also Swanson can stick his forced gesture where the sun doesn't shine, take the boy out of Leith, but can't.........

:laugh:Bev got back to me this morning and she was sent home sick last week. so that maybe explains it