St Johnstone's Public Relations

O'Rourke

Is Paul Smith actually qualified or trained in PR? If he's not qualified then he should be replaced by someone who is because the PR in the past few weeks has been disgraceful.

What a fecking tube you are ..Paul is a Saints man through and through and has on may occasions helped the fans and kept us up to date with information. Change your user name you arsehole, as post like yours are a slur on the great name of John Brogan..:evil::evil::evil:

I mentioned in another thread that the club have never contacted me (an ex season ticket holder) to try & get me to stump up for a season ticket again or ask me what would encourage me or offer incentives. Surely any business should be chasing potential customers?

Would you not get pissed off at constant phone calls or letters concerning it?

My manager is a celtic fan and was a season ticket holder but gave it up at the end of last season. He then had 4 voice messages from a recording of neil lennon reminding/pestering people to renew their season tickets. The day after sour puss got the managers job there were voice messages from him doing exactly the same thing. He got three phone calls in 10 minutes of the same message.

If season ticket holders do not reply to the end of season survey why would they reply to the club asking them why they have not renewed etc?

My manager is a celtic fan and was a season ticket holder but gave it up at the end of last season. He then had 4 voice messages from a recording of neil lennon reminding/pestering people to renew their season tickets. The day after sour puss got the managers job there were voice messages from him doing exactly the same thing. He got three phone calls in 10 minutes of the same message.

If season ticket holders do not reply to the end of season survey why would they reply to the club asking them why they have not renewed etc?

Did it work though ? Did he renew his season ticket ??

Do you think that would be a financially beneficial thing to do?

No, if I was involved at the club I wouldn't offer discounts on the price to tempt folk back. That wouldn't be fair on existing ticket holders although it is carried out in other businesses. I would want to know what could potentially be done to tempt people back though.

You've used an extreme example. I haven't had a season ticket for, i dunno, maybe 10 years. Even one letter & survey each pre-season may at least give the club some feedback or bring someone back who wouldn't have done so.

I thought hard about renewing this season but chose not to. Maybe contact from the club, when lots of new tickets were going to be sold, could have swayed me or others.

Are you taking the p***? I take it you have very little contact at the club. Paul is a supporter through and through and very much sees things from a fans viewpoint. There will however be times when no matter how he feels about things that he is simply not allowed to put out or scomment on.

Re the survey I suggest that you read the website news articles in more depth. The results of last year's survey were put on there months ago.

No I'm not taking the piss. Is it compulsory that I read the club's website? I choose not to read the clubs website any more because it's always late and not very good. I get more accurate information from other websites like the BBC. Incidentally, I've been a supporter and season ticket holder on and off for 34 years and my contact comes mostly from going to the games!

About this survey - you'll know that he club used to send them surveys out by post. They also used to send out special offers, season ticket info and stuff for the kids by email and post. I have sponsored the odd thing over the years and the club used to contact me to remind them of new sponsorship opportunities. Since November 2008 I've not had a single email, newsleter, survey, promotion of any kind so what does that say about their PR?

If Paul Smiths hands are tied then I have every sympathy with him but it's nothing personal.

I thought hard about renewing this season but chose not to. Maybe contact from the club, when lots of new tickets were going to be sold, could have swayed me or others.

Obviously, I can't speak for you; but I'd imagine that if the boost of promotion, the convenience of having an ST and the emotional pull of this forum couldn't motivate you to renew your ST, a letter from the club would make no difference.

Obviously, I can't speak for you; but I'd imagine that if the boost of promotion, the convenience of having an ST and the emotional pull of this forum couldn't motivate you to renew your ST, a letter from the club would make no difference.

Your probably right. Financially I can't really justify it most years, although I've luckily managed to get to most games so far this season. Next season I probably will renew.

Others will have different circumstances to me though and different reasons for not having a season ticket.

Your probably right. Financially I can't really justify it most years, although I've luckily managed to get to most games so far this season. Next season I probably will renew.

Others will have different circumstances to me though and different reasons for not having a season ticket.

Again, I'm not disputing those facts. I just can't see the commercial sense in contacting former ST holders. I'd suspect the majority of those that jack it in are elderly/infirm or give up during slumps. Nowt can be done about either or those. Ditto the lack of finance. Harsh but true.

I think a lot of what has been said on this thread about Paul Smith is completely unjustified and completely unfair. He does a very good job within the club and, as 101 has alluded to, is probably not in his job description. He has years of experience now within the club and the club as a whole would really suffer without his presence.

It all depends on how much the club are prepared to spend on PR. As someone who works in the business, I know it doesn't come cheap.

What we do need are more regular and instant communications with supporters (through social networking platforms, blogs and text alerts).

The club could also do more to work with the local community and counter this bollocks that Perth isn't a football city. This would be particularly poignant in line with the Perth 800 celebrations (which serve as a strong hook).

A reward and recognition scheme for supporters could also be devised and needn't cost the world.

No I'm not taking the piss. Is it compulsory that I read the club's website? I choose not to read the clubs website any more because it's always late and not very good. I get more accurate information from other websites like the BBC.

There is your evidence right there. Never trust anyone who gets better information from the bbc!

Since November 2008 I've not had a single email, newsleter, survey, promotion of any kind so what does that say about their PR?

It means you are not signed up to the mailing list obviously as I, a non-season ticket holder, often get emailed by Saints about things happening at the stadiu. You can sign up to the mailing list on the official site.

No as he had already decided to not renew it for financial reasons.

I would refuse to get a season ticket if Neil Lennon phoned me especially if I was in my bath although I'd let my pals hear him begging me if I were in the bar "That's just Neil Lennon blethering away ..... so em what were we talking about again?". As an avid viewer of the "Shopping Channe" I'm sure my mum would be easily persuaded if Nelly phoned and would buy half a dozen. In fact the voice of Neil Lennon is enough to put me off my dinner. If you got several of these calls in a row you could get him arrested for stalking you. Pervert.

Edited by Ronaldo

The club could also do more to work with the local community and counter this bollocks that Perth isn't a football city. This would be particularly poignant in line with the Perth 800 celebrations (which serve as a strong hook).

It is possible that they are doing that as i notice they now have a new club mini bus with ST JOHNSTONE FC IN THE COMMUNIY plastered all over it, sponsored by street sport, P&K

Council and Scotvans.

The Club could do 1000 times more by way of press releases pr men etc etc but if you have media who are more interested in the bigger teams then they are really pissing in the wind. The media will always take the rangers side of the story. As Graeme Speirs said on the radio this afternoon who in the tabloids is going to slag David Murray when he is a source of exclusives that they get.

The board are fully aware that PR is not great and the changes for this season have improved the communication by a good margin. The current handover at board level makes situations like yesterdays far harder to manage.

RUBBISH, ANY CHANGES AT BOARD LEVEL DID NOT REFLECT ON ANYTHING YESTERDAY, NOR SHOULD THEY HAVE. STUART DUFF STILL MANAGES MATCH DAY.

It was also made more difficult by the kick off time. Of course the usual hot heads are making themselves look like dickheads. "Falkirk should be fined and the supporters buses should all be paid by Falkirk..." Our fans are a veritable embarassment at times, the Falkirk game was a perfect example of why this forum can never link or be associated with the club. Far too many, ill-educated, seflish reactionaries. The club must continue to be run as a form of dictatorship, it's the most efficient method for any business.

AGAIN RUBBISH, PEOPLE HAVE A RIGHT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE WAY FANS ARE TREATED AND THAT DOESN'T MAKE PEOPLE DICKHEADS.

AS FOR PEOPLE SAYING SUPPORTERS BUSES SHOULD BE PAID, SOME PEOPLE SAID THAT JUST TO GET A POINT ACROSS I SUSPECT, NOBODY THOUGHT IT SHOULD HAPPEN. THE SAME AS HAVING A WEE PROTEST OUTSIDE THE STADIUM, IT WAS JUST TO GET A POINT ACROSS ABOUT FANS TREATMENT. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG IN TRYING TO GET WHAT IS BEST FOR SUPPORTERS BY MAKING THEM THINK TWICE BEFORE IT HAPPENS AGAIN. NOT BEING DICKHEADS, I WOULD SAY T WAS CLEVER IN A SNEAKY WAY.

I am not at all happy that the game was cancelled, indeed I was close to apoplexy at one point, but sometimes things go wrong and it's important to step back, calm down and move forward.

CALM DOWN AND MOVE FORWARD BUT AT THE SAME TIME GETTING THE POINT ACROSS THAT FANS ARE UNHAPPY. NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

I trust the club, I am certain that the club will make an official announcement when it's good aand ready to do so. I don't think our PR is as bad as we often make out. I remain fully convinced that we have a well run club from top to bottom.

EVENTS LIKE SATURDAY DETERMINE HOW WELL THE CLUB IS RUN IN THESE CIRCUMSTANCES, AND YESTERDAY IT SHOWED WE HAVE TO IMPROVE.

OF COURSE WE ARE A WELL RUN CLUB IN ALMOST EVERY OTHER ASPECT BUT NOT IN EVERY ASPECT.

i know you think you know everything and think you are above most of us, but really you don't and you not, and your manner sometimes stinks, but hey we're all different, and calling people dickheads because they have an opinion (and mostly not unreasonable opinions) makes you a bigger dickhead IMHO.

but no offence:wink:

So what can be done to improve the service they give? Yes, the BBC did us great service yesterday as they had Charlie Mann at the ground and he is a good Saints reporter. He told Off The Ball as soon as he knew something had happened. In the 208, Kevin the tannoy guy called through to tell us it was off as soon as he knew. I am sure the other supporters clubs were told too.

What you have to remember is that at that late stage there is not a lot anyone can do apart from notify the radio stations. FFS, Sky TV still had the match as being on at 12:15 despite the fact they were at the ground and knew it was off.

As for having a go at Paul, that is totally outrageous!! He does everything he can to make sure things run smoothly and I am sure that on Saturday with the phones in melt-down, he would be trying to handle every call himself. He will be feeling bad this happened and I hope he does not start reading the crap that is being written here about him. It seems that everyone at St Johnstone FC is up for a slagging from their 'fans' and it is quite unfair. without them we would not have a club to support so stick your moaning up your bahookie and start to thank them!!

I don't think anyone should be blaming Paul Smith. He is brilliant and always has the Club's interests at heart.

My gut feeling is we need a "proper" Chief Executive at the club. Stewart Duff is obviously a Saints fan but my impression is he obsessed with saving money. I'm sure he has helped Saints over the years & been a good servant to the club but maybe we need a real "business" person?

If we had spent a few grand on Space Heaters as a precaution the game would have been played & Saints wouldn't have lost the £82K from Sky plus all the other expenses?

Not sure if this is controversial suggestion?

Yes, the BBC did us great service yesterday as they had Charlie Mann at the ground and he is a good Saints reporter. He told Off The Ball as soon as he knew something had happened. !

Charlie Mann a good Saints man?? Since when. Any game he is reporting on involving Saints he starts off by slagging how many fans are there.

Well said O'Rourke!!

Iknow the club are planning to test a bluetooth connection in the ground so they can relay information to the fans in the stadium (if they have bluetooth on!) and they also notify Perth FM of any updates on matchday.

Maybe there should be a phone list of where the fans all meet up, 208, Dunkeld Road club etc and calls made there if the match is called off.

Having said this, when was the last time a match was called off just before kickoff? The brechin cup game last season was one but that was the police calling it 20 minutes before ko, the only time I can think of was when the fog hit McDiarmid Park just before a Sky transmission of the Celtic game about 8 years ago.