Smith or Main against Killie?

101 Saint

You will just have to be furious then. cause Smith will be playing and main won't.

As fro Sheridan thought he put in a helluva lot of work yesterday.

It's a surprise he can jump at all with all these supporters(?) on his back all the time.

He cant even jump, hes usually back on the ground before the ball gets to him, and hes brought the fans on himself with his terrible effort rate and general being lazy

Still for the life of me cant understand Smith being number one.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He cant even jump, hes usually back on the ground before the ball gets to him, and hes brought the fans on himself with his terrible effort rate and general being lazy

Still for the life of me cant understand Smith being number one.

Simple. He is the best we have.

I would actually like to see Main play just to shut up Smiths doubters. A guy like Main could have kept to a standard if he had played all season but he is past it now and having been on the sidelines for the best part of the season will be well off the pace.

Smith is our only option, and i doubt we have the money to attract much better in the close season. He's a big lad and has had some really good performances for us this year.

I think we have to accept that Main was an exceptional keeper and we will be lucky to see any one of his calibre at the club for the forseeable future.

personally, i cant forgive main for what i feel were dodgy goals against utd years ago that kept them up and sent the midden down. To me that cant be forgiven, dont care much bout the rest of this season, heart went out of it when top 6 and safety were assured. Need a new keeper and quick.

personally, i cant forgive main for what i feel were dodgy goals against utd years ago that kept them up and sent the midden down. To me that cant be forgiven, dont care much bout the rest of this season, heart went out of it when top 6 and safety were assured. Need a new keeper and quick.

Yeah cant forgive him for being the record appearence holder for our club, being so good he was called up for Scotland squad while playing at St Johnstone, for THAT save against grady that got us into Europe, for giving us so many great victories

After all hes been a terrible servant to the club and hasnt given us anything :roll:

these are facts snd cant be taken away. Thats why i said a personal opinion. My opinion

What facts? the facts and performances prove he is one of the greatest players ever to have put on a St Johnstone top. He had a bad game on the day you were refering to, but when you play as many games as he has I think we can forgive him on a bad game or two, but am sure youd rather believe the conspiracy theories.

How is he avaliable exactly?
Cos he's not playing to start with, and appart from the transfer window, keepers can move just about any time of the season.

Any "superman" type figure, as Main seems to be tagged on here, would be in high demand if he ACTUALLY was any good.

Stoke and Man City are both going to the FA today for permission to sign a keeper after theirs were injured at the weekend. As he's in his prime they'll probably both be fighting over Main now. It would take someone of Main's quality to replace Given :wink:!

Cos he's not playing to start with, and appart from the transfer window, keepers can move just about any time of the season.

Any "superman" type figure, as Main seems to be tagged on here, would be in high demand if he ACTUALLY was any good.

Stoke and Man City are both going to the FA today for permission to sign a keeper after theirs were injured at the weekend. As he's in his prime they'll probably both be fighting over Main now. It would take someone of Main's quality to replace Given :wink:!

Hes the St johnstone number two, hes hardly been dropped to the reserve team!! Does that mean that Neil Alexander, Zaluizka, are avaliable as well?? Id disagree

Main isnt in his prime anymore and Id doubt he would still have the abilty to play in the premiership, but hes still good enough for St Johnstone in the bottom six of the SPL and has earned and deserves to be playing until the end of the season.

Hes the St johnstone number two, hes hardly been dropped to the reserve team!! Does that mean that Neil Alexander, Zaluizka, are avaliable as well?? Id disagree

Main isnt in his prime anymore and Id doubt he would still have the abilty to play in the premiership, but hes still good enough for St Johnstone in the bottom six of the SPL and has earned and deserves to be playing until the end of the season.

Current number 1 has been between the posts as we've climbed to 7th.

Main would have taken us to where he'd look better now - the first division.

Current number 1 has been between the posts as we've climbed to 7th.

Main would have taken us to where he'd look better now - the first division.

Yeah we're 7th, nothing to do with finding our feet after 7 games, or new singings or players missing at the start of the season coming back.

Could have been higher without all of Smiths mistakes that have cost us alot of points

look it up and watch it. Form ur own opinion. I have and form my opinion on it. this is about opinions on here, isn't it ?

Of course it is, but I was only asking what your opinion is formed on as I cannot recall him doing anything bad, infact my recolection was him getting a good clap from the East stand when he played that game, your reffering to the Gretna cup match at McD right?

You mentioned he did something off field, what was this??

personally, i cant forgive main for what i feel were dodgy goals against utd years ago that kept them up and sent the midden down.

The thing I've never understood about that particular point is that it completely ignores the fact that Main was in generally poor form at the time and had also shipped two really poor goals against St Mirren themselves just seven days earlier. Was he deliberately letting in "dodgy" goals against one, but not the other? It doesn't really stand up to any scrutiny, and is a pretty poor thing to say about one of this club's finest ever servants.

As for the current situation: I think it's highly unlikely that we'll be able to attract a young keeper who is as good as Main. That means either bringing in another 30-ish keeper at some point, or doing what Del has done this season and hand a chance to a younger man in the hope that, given time, he'll develop into a good keeper. I think that, with Smith, Del obviously thinks there is potential there for him to learn from his mistakes (and there have certainly been a few) and become established as a good number 1 for us. Only time will tell whether Smith becomes good enough given the chance, but replacing him for Main at this stage is really only going to postpone the problem and put us back to square one. If a better keeper becomes available then of course Del should make that move, but until that happens I think persisting with Smith is probably the best thing to do.

Of course it is, but I was only asking what your opinion is formed on as I cannot recall him doing anything bad, infact my recolection was him getting a good clap from the East stand when he played that game, your reffering to the Gretna cup match at McD right?

You mentioned he did something off field, what was this??

I seem to recall him landing a hook on an official at Gretna in the dresisng room after he was accused of throwing a game to help saints close the gap.