The Official Good Luck England Thread

O'Rourke

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stuck a tenner on them to win it the other week. It's a win/win for me; they win it I make a few bob, they don't and I'll be relieved in terms of my sanity.

I can't stand the arrogance and hype that surrounds their team - living in London is even more intolerable than usual just now! No question they're a talented bunch but:

A) I loathe this sense that they just have to turn up

B) one trophy win more than 40 years ago isn't really good enough for a team with that many talented players. They still manage to go on and on about it (much like Dundee fans harking back to past glory) so I don't think I could bare to have another one added in for the rest of my life

C) there are some total scumbags in the squad and

D) there's nothing wrong (in fact it's perfectly normal) with having rivalries with your nearest neighbours

I dont understand where you get this idea that there is a widespread belief that England 'just have to turn up'. Most of the press and media are saying that England are going to have to be very lucky to get beyond the quarter-finals, and that while the group games *should* be straighforward they are very aware of potential banana skins, especially the USA. I guess there are a few 6 year-old England fans who suffer from unfettered youthful optimism (much as I did in 1978 when I was convinced that Scotland would win) but those aside, most England fans are being pretty realistic. Doesnt stop them wanting to support their team though. And I know that if Scotland had qualified, I'd feel the same way.

I dont understand where you get this idea that there is a widespread belief that England 'just have to turn up'. Most of the press and media are saying that England are going to have to be very lucky to get beyond the quarter-finals, and that while the group games *should* be straighforward they are very aware of potential banana skins, especially the USA. I guess there are a few 6 year-old England fans who suffer from unfettered youthful optimism (much as I did in 1978 when I was convinced that Scotland would win) but those aside, most England fans are being pretty realistic. Doesnt stop them wanting to support their team though. And I know that if Scotland had qualified, I'd feel the same way.

Spot on.

I want them to win because I'm half English.

I'm half Norn Irish and I wanted us to pump them in the friendly a while back. In fact I'm only Scottish by birthright, neither of my parents are technically Scottish. My fether's more Norwegian than Scots, technically.

I want Scotland to win not because I consider myself Scottish, but because it's the country I live in. Supporting England because you're half English, I don't buy that. Not that I have anything against England, I want them to do well and will watch their matches with neutrality.

Edited by CynicalSaintee

I'm half Norn Irish and I wanted us to pump them in the friendly a while back. In fact I'm only Scottish by birthright, neither of my parents are technically Scottish. My fether's more Norwegian than Scots, technically.

I want Scotland to win not because I consider myself Scottish, but because it's the country I live in. Supporting England because you're half English, I don't buy that. Not that I have anything against England, I want them to do well and will watch their matches with neutrality.

If Scotland were playing England I would support Scotland of course but since Scotland failed to even qualify for the World Cup I will be supporting England.

They will have to be very poor not to make the quarters. They have an easy run to get there.

They will have to be very poor not to make the quarters. They have an easy run to get there.

Am i right in thinking that if england win there group they play the runners up in a kinda tough germany group, who says they wont top there group and play england in the 1st knockout stage. You never know.

Cant see them winning it, they are good players but 11 egos dont make a good team. They may totally under preform and come home failures and i can watch the rest of the finals hearing how england would of, could of beaten this or that team.

Generally they aint got the bottle to see it out, always someone to be the scapegoat.

I think this whole thing about Scots supporting England is total pish. There is no requirement for Scotland football supporters or Scottish people generally to support their rivals, it doesn't happen in any other form of competition. This whole hype about Scottish people supporting England or not stems from non football people and the media in an attempt at producing a mass guilty conscience. Well not me, I'm living in Tyneside at the moment and this Sunderland fan asked me if I would be supporting England in the World Cup Finals and I replied "it's a bit like this, if Newcastle were doing well in the Premiership and they had a chance of winning it would you support them in this attempt?" and he replied "Would I F*ck I wouldn't even support them winning a Tiddly Winks competition". We both then understood the principle.

Now of course we share an island and I've got plenty friends down here but Rangers and Celtic share a city, Dundee Saints and United share a river in Tayside but the principle of football rivalry implies that we can admire our rivals in certain ways or for certain things on occasions but we can never support them.

I think it was totally unfair and below the belt for the media down south to ask Andy Murray if he was supporting England in the last World Cup Finals although they did get the correct response of "NO". Unfortunately people down south even now remember that and he doesn't get as great a support down south today even though he's reached a vastly superior level to Timothy Henman regularly. Scotland could win a world championship at tennis something the English have desired for decades.

We don't want to dampen football rivalry which hopefully we'll see a lot of in the next four weeks and of course the media should remember that football rivalry is revenue generating and that's why this is the biggest TV and media event in the world.

Remember when we went to FIVE World Cups in a row? Famtastic, sitting in the sun reading up about all the team line-ups and wondering how each game would go especially our own. Memories. :cool::D.

I remember cheering on England in 66. I was 10 then, and didn't know sh*t.

The quicker they are out the better, then i can relax and enjoy the World Cup.

Like the players... like the supporters... hate the F***ing media.

Will the EBC and ITV ever realise that the word England is not a substitute for the word Britain.

e.g. Beckhams matatarsal was an English problem, why did it become a UK wide catastrophe? So many other examples that we have had to put up with. F**k em I say:evil:

Have to agree. I think over the last 10 years or so there's been a big change in how the English media treat the England team. The cliche about the press down here used to be that they build the team up, just to knock them down. Nowadays, they seem to skip the building up part and just go straight to knocking them down (see the criticism the team got in the media following their recent friendlies, despite getting very good results against strong Mexico and Japan sides, as a prime example of this). The general mood down here seems to be that England's team is good enough to win it, but will almost certainly cock it up (personally I'd disagree with that though, as I don't think they are good enough to win it, and a quarter-final place would actually be a decent achievement even though it'd be treated as a disaster).

I really, really don't want them to win it though. I hope England fail miserably, and not because of any Scotland-England rivalry (I'm not a particularly patriotic Scot and I'm not much of a fan of the Scotland team), but because I don't think the patio-furniture-throwing, binge-drinking, flag-waving, grunting, borderline-racist element of their travelling support deserve that sort of happiness*. Having been to two previous World Cups and felt how the atmosphere turns tense and sour whenever their sort arrive on the scene, I can think of countless other nations who I'd rather see triumph. On top of that, I don't think I could bear seeing a celebrating Ian Wright/David Cameron/The Sun/The Daily Mail/Robbie Williams/James Corden/Danny Dyer/Keith Allen/Lily Allen/insert your own choice of c**t and get the idea.

*Before anyone says it, I'm well aware that not all England supporters are like that, and I've got absolutely no problem with the average England fan who isn't like that at all - but, let's face it, the existence of James Corden alone is a pretty strong argument for Scottish independence.

Edited by blueheaven

Ha ha a very entertaining read Blueheaven!

Totally agree with the James Corden sentiments, to the point that I even wanted England to lose the charity match for Soccer Aid just to see the look on his face at the end! The fact that they did it on penalties was all the sweeter.

Oh and the fact that the telephone number to pledge your donation coincedentally ended in the digits "1966".