Open Day

deej

Was there today and glad I went. My son and nephew had great time meeting the players and I myself found it great when they were very honest bout themselves and performances so far. Every player made themselves available to everyone and didn't shirk some harsh questions from parents while still being great with kids. Best open day I've been to yet I take my hat of to fans and players who turned up today

Sounds like it was a good day. Wished I could have gone along. Players are a credit to the club, always appreciate the time they spend giving autographs, photos with our junior Saints. Great to hear the positive way they are reacting to recent results. Our time will come.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm almost certain it was in St John's Street.

You mean St John Street?

The sports shop that was there for years was not Campus Sport but County Sports.

It was a brilliant shop where you could buy anything, a real old school Sports Shop. They even had a guy who re-strung Tennis rackets. Nigel, I think?

Relocated to Bridgend but didn't last long.

You mean St John Street?

The sports shop that was there for years was not Campus Sport but County Sports.

It was a brilliant shop where you could buy anything, a real old school Sports Shop. They even had a guy who re-strung Tennis rackets. Nigel, I think?

Relocated to Bridgend but didn't last long.

I suspect some of the above is news to Duffy:laugh:

Isn't racquet re-stringing and re-gripping quite common place? I have had plenty done from Frank down through the years, but have always assumed it was a service that most sports shops offered.

I suspect some of the above is news to Duffy:laugh:

Isn't racquet re-stringing and re-gripping quite common place? I have had plenty done from Frank down through the years, but have always assumed it was a service that most sports shops offered.

I think it's pretty rare nowadays. I didn't realise Campus offered this service too. It has been years since I was in the Campus but I now know where to get my tennis racket re-strung!

I think it's pretty rare nowadays. I didn't realise Campus offered this service too. It has been years since I was in the Campus but I now know where to get my tennis racket re-strung!

I guess a lot of tennis, squash and badminton clubs have their own folk that provide this service. Perhaps this has put a stop to sports shops doing it too?

The fellow that founded Campus Sports is a descendant of the folks that own Javelin Sports in Kimarnock. He initially planned to open his shop near one of the Glasgow Universities. A last minute hitch meant that deal fell through, so he opened a shop in Princess Street in Perth. He retained the name of Campus Sports for reasons unknown to me.

Subsequently, his father-in-law, who worked with Frank at the planning division of the Coal Board made Frank aware that the shop in High Street was available. Frank bought it and the partnership then opened a shop in Edinburgh at Saintbear mentions below. It was there for a couple of years but didn't prosper. Frank then took sole ownership of Campus Sports and in it's current guise it has always traded in Perth's High Street.

Couple of interesting tales from EL Franko today. Campus Sports once appeared in Taggart... but not the Campus Sports where we buy our kit from. The sports shop Achilles Heel was used to film an episode where a student was murdered with hockey stick. They blanked over the shop name with Campus Sports, they told the owner it was to give more authenticity to the story line but was our Saints supporter behind it...

Also, there is a guy in Emmerdale (which is a TV show) called Marlon the chef. He is a Saints supporter and was in Campus a month ago buying some Saints attire and getting more information on the club. By all accounts a very affable and enthusiastic young man. His first love is Manchester United, his family have been season ticket holders for almost 50 years but he is very interested in Saints and was pleased to glean knowledge from Campus.

As a gesture of goodwill, I understand the Saints squad may well be signing something for him, wonder if we'll ever appear in Emmerdale?

Thanks for clarifying !