Perths best chippie--- Past and Present

Wish i was Joe McGurn

This is going back a bit but there used to be a chippie in the South St Stefani's I dont know if any of the senior members remember it. I think it is a Thai place or something now, my auld man used to tell me to go there dont go to Holdgates!! in them days they were not that good.

I think Stefani"s also had an ice cream / sweetie shop on South St round the corner fie Scott St

Was that not Stefano's?  They certainly had a sweetie shop round the corner from Scott St.  Used to grudge giving you 3d back on an empty lemonade bottle unless you could prove you bought it full from them.

There was a chippie further along South St going towards Methven St opposite a furniture shop.  I think that was also Stefano's and it became famous for being turned into Perth's first Chinese. There was another chippie in South St opposite the entrance to King Edward St.  Not sure who owned that one.  Ring any bells?

Edited by south inch

Never assume, however I had no doubt that you did EAT THEM ALL.

Being the canny Scot that you are , your mindset would be " ah hiv paid for them, so am gonna make sure I'm gonna finish them.

Anyway how many years are you still eligible to enrol in the FFIT club? :wink::wink:

See you tomorrow Mr. Chairman.

SOS Bring Scone butchers pies

Good luck chippy was the best when i were a lad, me and the mates would leave the Ice-rink then head there for a portion of chips and gravy served in paper,no they crappy boxes ye get nowadays,before heading for the bus home tae Luncarty. Holgates was okay  my granny stayed in the flats above it. As for nowadays im no too sure to be honest,ive been using the tulloch chippy since i moved house,its no too bad i suppose

well you ought to know chips :laugh:

Was that not Stefano's?  They certainly had a sweetie shop round the corner from Scott St.  Used to grudge giving you 3d back on an empty lemonade bottle unless you could prove you bought it full from them.

There was a chippie further along South St going towards Methven St opposite a furniture shop.  I think that was also Stefano's and it became famous for being turned into Perth's first Chinese. There was another chippie in South St opposite the entrance to King Edward St.  Not sure who owned that one.  Ring any bells?

It was Stefani's the furniture shop across from the chippy was Walkers Furniture. I remember the chippy across from King Edward Street it wisnea one I went to much I will have to ask my mate who was brought up in Spey Court I think he frequented it

my mate come through it was called the Sunbeam

Unusual to get good Haddock down that way. Cod seems to be a preference for many of our Anglo brothers.

its not even usually cod - coley, whiting,pollack, they are all subs - numerous places have been caught serving cheaper fish and taken to court.

nothing wrong with them, in fact its probably environmentally better to eat something like coley, its just the tendancy is to ask for cod and chips, and end up getting something else

its not even usually cod - coley, whiting,pollack, they are all subs - numerous places have been caught serving cheaper fish and taken to court.

nothing wrong with them, in fact its probably environmentally better to eat something like coley, its just the tendancy is to ask for cod and chips, and end up getting something else

I'd imagine raw sewage might be tastier than Cod, so probably no bad thing if it's being substituted!

• 2 years later...

Seem to remember it was pretty good

Used to be really good, last job I worked on in Perth was a big Reno at the Royal George every second day we worked ghosters so me and Irish laboror Tony would go to Watsons to pick up the squad order it was about the size of a bag of tatties,to humour Roy it wis braw