Perths best chippie--- Past and Present

Wish i was Joe McGurn

you are sorta right!entrance to the snooker hall (70`s era) was through the tunnel next to watsons before it moved to james st.

feel free to share the stories though chips:laugh:

Cheers,the way the geezer i know talked about the place i just thought the hall was at the back of watsons cos he always mentioned the tunnel,as for the stories theres a few belters,seemingly it wasnt the kind of place for the faint hearted :laugh:

you are sorta right!entrance to the snooker hall (70`s era) was through the tunnel next to watsons before it moved to james st.

feel free to share the stories though chips:laugh:

Die you know what was through the tunnel many years ago Wrights the brewers!! Thistle used to be a Wrights pub as far as I know. Before I am jumped on from the politcally correct crew the tunnel is my subject.:roll:

Wrights brewery was a bit before my time, but there was a car body shop in the pend, up to the snooker halls demise. The place used to reek fumes when passing, I'm not sure elf & safety would allow it nowadays, what with every second punter having a fag hanging from their lips.

Watson's chippy was pretty decent then, always huge portions, the bean busters or mock chops being a personal favourite. The one bad thing I do remember though is the horrible stink from the water filled bins of peeled spuds. Fair made ye gag:D, and who could forget the quality :roll: advertisement during the interval at the Playhouse.

The Fish & Chip Shop company in Cragie is the best by miles. Nane o' yer foreign crap, just a regular fish and chip shop where the grub is well cooked and the service is near flawless. Prices are more than fair.

Totally agree with you, the chippy in Craigie is definitely the best in Perth. Although it has never quite been the same since Hazel left! The chap who runs it does a great job and his memory can be frightening - even when the place is queued out the door he manages to remember everyone's order perfectly. The quality is spot on as well, consistently excellent fish suppers.

I'm not actually a great fan of Craigie chippy. Dunno why, been a few years since I've bought anything there, so might have to give it another go since it will be my nearest chippy when I move in a few weeks!

Clueless!

• 9 months later...
Step forward the chippy on Glengarry Road, I think it was called Ronaldo's at the time? It was over 20 years ago now...

I mind Ronaldos used to give you a plastic membership card, so when you phoned an order you just gave your membership number and there was nae pissing about with mis-heard addresses and need for return phone numbers!

:laugh:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mongy Max

Craigie Chippy is still the baws. every time i am down, the wife asks me to go there, i send her in and everytime she comes oot and raves about the ginger rain man who runs the place that she cannot understand!!!

it was ronalds on glengarry road, me and my bro were known to him as st jonsin everytime we went in, he was an arab i think. im sure he got shut doon of the food hygiene mob.