Reflecting badly (Old Firm madness)

sleepless

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as this view is held by people in authority this problem will never be solved.

"Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill said the violence has more to do with alcohol and is less about football.

He said yesterday: "There is a deep-rooted and unacceptable social issue involved - which has a great deal to do with Scotland's damaging relationship with alcohol, and little to do with football".

"The issue is far wider than clubs and the game. It is about a culture of violence fuelled by alcohol".

Of course people all over Scotland (and England) start fighting each other every night because they've had too much to drink. Absolute rubbish, it's the Ireland/Religion/Football catalyst that causes the problem. As long as a guy like MacAskill is willing to turn a blind eye to the real problem this will continue.

As long as this view is held by people in authority this problem will never be solved.

"Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill said the violence has more to do with alcohol and is less about football.

He said yesterday: "There is a deep-rooted and unacceptable social issue involved - which has a great deal to do with Scotland's damaging relationship with alcohol, and little to do with football".

"The issue is far wider than clubs and the game. It is about a culture of violence fuelled by alcohol".

Of course people all over Scotland (and England) start fighting each other every night because they've had too much to drink. Absolute rubbish, it's the Ireland/Religion catalyst that causes the problem. As long as a guy like MacAskill is willing to turn a blind eye to the real problem this will continue.

Trouble was down to the players from both sides and the management team from both sides.

The time has come to hit them hard - it also shows that the proposed "new" league set up will only fuel the urge for more games between the ugly sisters.

Make them play behind closed doors and shift one of the "dug-outs" to the opposite side of the pitch.

Fairly unheard of but, for maybe the first time, I've seen local English media and news feeds in my area (York and Scarborough) reporting on trouble in Pubs and Clubs which was directly connected to last nights match.

The good thing is that they are ensuring that there's no way they will be accepted in any league south of the border with these sort of headlines appearing in the news.

The downside is that they will remain north of the border to manipulate everything to their own advantage and thus ensure that the status quo remains in place to permanently 'blight' Scottish football.

Viewing figures are very accurate actually. They have to be if the TV company wants to sell advertisements. There is too much money in television to pick a number from the sky.

Of course 1 person didn't sit at each t.v but they are as accurate as you can get without asking every single person in the country what they watched that night.

No-one is interested in the the OF derby or the SPL.

So you say that 640,000 watched it.

Does that include people watching it in pubs. Amazing that i box that sits in the corner of your living room or a pub can count the amount of people watching it and send that information to advertisers.

Its like noel edmonds with his gotchas were the way forward after all.

SWITCH OFF YOUR TV'S

THEY ARE WATCHING YOU

I hate Rangers and Celtic, I hate the bigoted fans that follow them, and i end up hating some players who play for them, but I'm always interested in watching the match, and I always want 5 red cards, 22 bookings, a load of goals, big tackles and fights. It's a derby, if they were tame matches then nobody would care.

The 640,000 refered to by the lovely HSF applies to domestic households only and BARB have a margin of error of about 2.5%. They DO NOT take account of any viewing outside of the home so, pubs, clubs, hotels, on line streaming etc is not taken into account.

The OF game on the 20th Feb drew an estimated 800k HOUSEHOLD viewers.

The 640,000 refered to by the lovely HSF applies to domestic households only and BARB have a margin of error of about 2.5%. They DO NOT take account of any viewing outside of the home so, pubs, clubs, hotels, on line streaming etc is not taken into account.

The OF game on the 20th Feb drew an estimated 800k HOUSEHOLD viewers.

Isn't the margin 1.4%?

800,000 is pathetic as well. The OF really are a small fish in the grand scale of football. I will happily admit that even 10 years ago it was a massive game but now-a-days, no-one cares outside Scotland.

Isn't the margin 1.4%?

800,000 is pathetic as well. The OF really are a small fish in the grand scale of football. I will happily admit that even 10 years ago it was a massive game but now-a-days, no-one cares outside Scotland.

1/6th of the populations households watched a football match and you say its pathetic. Two adults. 2.3 kids per household.

Aye, thats terrible.

I would love if the SPL didn't have Sky and ESPN, then football crowd would go up even more.

The UK has just over 61 million people and 800,000 of them watched the OF game. :laugh:

They are not big clubs outside of Scotland. Why are people sticking up for them? I don't get it, they are tiny, we are even smaller. Scottish football is as popular as ever in Scotland but no-one cares about it outside of the country. Could I say this anymore times? Jeeeezo.

I would love if the SPL didn't have Sky and ESPN, then football crowd would go up even more.

The UK has just over 61 million people and 800,000 of them watched the OF game. :laugh:

They are not big clubs outside of Scotland. Why are people sticking up for them? I don't get it, they are tiny, we are even smaller. Scottish football is as popular as ever in Scotland but no-one cares about it outside of the country. Could I say this anymore times? Jeeeezo.

To be honest Honest, I do not think that if you cut the TV deal attendances would increase a great deal. Saints have a hard core of fans who go at the moment with some who dip in and out, and others who will turn up for a day out (Semi-Finals, finals etc).

Whilst losing the TV deal would cut the OF exposure, things have moved on so much that you can watch a better class of football from all over the world than SPL, you have games consoles, internet so much else vying for peoples free time and attention. Working patterns have changed which means less people have Saturday afternoons off.

I don't know about anyone else but I don't have SKY Sports for the SPL games but the other football that is shown

Not sure I'd agree that the figures are poor. If we are talking about the games televised by sky (or espn), not all the UK households can afford sky and therefore won't see it.

Also as has been mentioned I would have thought the game would have got a decent audience in Canada, Australia, NZ etc with the ex-pats.

As for the hoo-ha....watched the 'highlights' on the 'net and it seemed a little of an over-reaction in terms of the dust up between McCoist & Lennon. Both players deserved to get sent off too.....Not sure about Diouf, I take it he said something out of turn to get the second booking.

To be honest Honest, I do not think that if you cut the TV deal attendances would increase a great deal. Saints have a hard core of fans who go at the moment with some who dip in and out, and others who will turn up for a day out (Semi-Finals, finals etc).

Whilst losing the TV deal would cut the OF exposure, things have moved on so much that you can watch a better class of football from all over the world than SPL, you have games consoles, internet so much else vying for peoples free time and attention. Working patterns have changed which means less people have Saturday afternoons off.

I don't know about anyone else but I don't have SKY Sports for the SPL games but the other football that is shown

I don't mean increase loads, more stay the same for every game/increase a little. Crowds surely must decrease for the tele games for every team? I mean why would someone bother say travelling to Inverness from Kilmarnock when they could just stay at home and watch it on the tele? I would say it has a big impact on whether you are more likely to attend a game or not.

It also means Saturday, 3o'clock kick offs for everyone which can only be a good thing. Although the ECL has decided that it's not illegal to gain a licence from a foreign T.V station to watch 3pm football, which if pubs take up on, will be even more of a disaster.

I have SKY and ESPN just because I like to watch most sports.

I hate Rangers and Celtic, I hate the bigoted fans that follow them, and i end up hating some players who play for them, but I'm always interested in watching the match, and I always want 5 red cards, 22 bookings, a load of goals, big tackles and fights. It's a derby, if they were tame matches then nobody would care.

couldnt agree more