auld shops

Wish i was Joe McGurn

Years ago the building that now holds That Bar was a clothes shop.

Money came off your wages and was payed into an account to buy products from this place.

All the stock was stored in drawers behind the counters and it was kind of like Grace brothers out of are you being served.

Can anyone recall what this shop was called ??

My dearly departed dad bought me my first record player in Drummonds - a red and blue plastic thing with a mic and headphones called a Frisco Disco. It took 6 x C batteries which didn't last long! The first record I played on it was Kim Wilde - 'Kids In America'. Wonderful memories...:oops::laugh:

Can mind being in Drummonds as a bairn. Is it no one of those cash for gold type shops now or something?

When the Google street view car went past it was Swinton Insurance, the gold place is next door. Sure the owner of Drummonds got rumbled for selling dodgy mags/videos from under the counter then closed.

When the Google street view car went past it was Swinton Insurance, the gold place is next door. Sure the owner of Drummonds got rumbled for selling dodgy mags/videos from under the counter then closed.

Seriously?

Did Mr Masterson own it at the time?

Certainly rings a bell & 1884, no idea who owned it but pretty certain it was the same guy for many years.

Wouldn't know, never lived in hunters and it was a pay before you buy scheme.

Ha ha. I bet you still believe in the tooth fairy. :laugh:

Its nothing more than a provvie cheque shop. You don't " pay before you buy ".You pay a set premium every week and a guy comes to your door to collect it. It is a big favourite with the poorer elements of society, I should know.

years ago the building that now holds that bar was a clothes shop.

Money came off your wages and was payed into an account to buy products from this place.

All the stock was stored in drawers behind the counters and it was kind of like grace brothers out of are you being served.

Can anyone recall what this shop was called ??

the shop was called lawson fishers, my late husband grandfather was the manager

I used to love the Gents & Boys Outfitters "Menzies" on the High Street towards St Pauls.

It had real 'suits you sir" assistants & brilliant wood & glass display cases. Perfect for a Lord Anthony Shetland Wool Pullover & a pair of Wine Sta-Prest!

i got my first ben sherman shirt there.

cys