Encourage Fans Back??

St Mikey

Ghost - fine sentiments. But how do we encourage fans back?

There is only ONE way to encourage fans back to a football club. There has only EVER been one way..and it's the same for EVERY club. It aint dropping prices, it aint fancy gimmicks.....

It is success..Simple as. If the team plays well and wins games people come to watch. Saints get better crowds ( of our own fans)when challenging for the 1st division title than they do when grubbing about at the base of the SPL..

Hope that helps:wink:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main concern about yesterdays performance is that with the team we have we actually had an excellent chance of reaching the final. The performance was atrocious, the players just didn't turn up. If we were beaten by Motherwell and put up a good performance I could have handled that but not the rubbish that we witnessed yesterday.

I am with you on the C, but as you know though, players WILL be moved on, the manager will leave either by choice or by popular demand. It will get better at some point and it will get worse at other times.. My one word to describe it was GUTLESS.. but looking at the bigger picture we just start again...

Those are fine sentiments Ghostie, but unfortunately I just can't buy into them at the moment.

Saturday's match was the first game I've properly looked forward to since Brechin away, previous to that was probably the first home game against Aberdeen. This season has been absolutely awful, and I can see myself slowly moving away from Saints.

Any kind of price increase on season tickets will absolutely knock any chance of renewing season ticket out the park. The ONLY way I would renew at the moment is if we signed the calibre of player that will bring us out of the rut. I'm not bothered about winning every week, I just want to be entertained again and see players who REALLY want to play for us.

I much prefer the first division. It feels far less apathetic than the SPL with some properly good away trips in the mix too.

Just a thought, but would it not be worth offering a voucher scheme (like for all ticket games). Collect two vouchers from the last 2 homes games of the season and this would mean you could purchase a season ticket for next year with an extra 10% discount. It would benefit season ticket holders and non-season holders alike and would encourage fans to attend the last two games of the season.

The main concern about yesterdays performance is that with the team we have we actually had an excellent chance of reaching the final. The performance was atrocious, the players just didn't turn up. If we were beaten by Motherwell and put up a good performance I could have handled that but not the rubbish that we witnessed yesterday.

Agreed - I have followed Saints for over 50 years and hate to criticise them but I could not believe how lethargic the effort that was put in by the majority of Saints players.

Del's interviews before the match were very negative and his interview after showed no sign of any passion or support for the fans who forked out a lot of money to travel to Hampden. One up front in the Scottish cup semi final - well done Del Boy - have a wee think.

You let us all down badly with your tactics .

Hats off to Murray Davidson though - he tried his heart out.

in addition to lesson one from st mikey we now have suggestion two that nobody buys a season ticket. broon will love that. keep this stuff coming branson.

You seen the official site??

Guess that is more justification again not to renew your season ticket if stupid old St Mikey says that cut price admission is nonsense.

L o l.

You seen the official site??

Guess that is more justification again not to renew your season ticket if stupid old St Mikey says that cut price admission is nonsense.

L o l.

Not if you read the whole thing. The season ticket holders are getting £15 off the price for next season

Not if you read the whole thing. The season ticket holders are getting £15 off the price for next season

Are we really getting £15 discount. The official site said "Season Ticket holders will find an appropriate discount being applied to their renewal costs " so that could be £5 as I am sure that's around the saving on 19 walk in prices.

You can call me cynical but even if its £15 off the price of a season ticket as the prices have not been published yet so if they put the prices up by say £35 they can then say its £50 with a £15 reduction and spin an increase into a good news story.

once the fans are gone, turned there backs or refuse to pay for no entertainment. They do not come back! Success or not the fans who walk away do not come back. Its simply a matter do you go every week or pick your games or not bother. The club needs to offer free season tickets to kids. It might help balance out the number of fans who are bored and doing something else with their life.

Are we really getting £15 discount. The official site said "Season Ticket holders will find an appropriate discount being applied to their renewal costs " so that could be £5 as I am sure that's around the saving on 19 walk in prices.

You can call me cynical but even if its £15 off the price of a season ticket as the prices have not been published yet so if they put the prices up by say £35 they can then say its £50 with a £15 reduction and spin an increase into a good news story.

Well Cynical You are assuming they are being increased. I would doubt if there is any price increase, The other Clubs that I have heard of have all frozen prices.

I think the biggest problem this season is undoubtedly the pitch! This has affected the players confidence! With this problem rectified for next season (hopefully) it will be like starting completely fresh and im sure things will be a lot better and more pleasant to watch!!!

I think the biggest problem this season is undoubtedly the pitch! This has affected the players confidence! With this problem rectified for next season (hopefully) it will be like starting completely fresh and im sure things will be a lot better and more pleasant to watch!!!

There is an argument that the pitch has helped us, certainly in a defensive manner....the poor playing surface has stopped the 'better' footballing sides from ripping us apart (as was seen at Hampden) - surely all those clean sheets breed confidence in the defence :neutral:

On the flip side, you could be right with reference to the midfield and forwards who would not have enjoyed that surface. Saying that though, you would then think that they would enjoy the away matches even more, getting the opportunity to play on better surfaces - but that hasn't worked out, has it!!

I have been thinking of ways (IF I WAS RICH), of how to atract fans back to McD. One of they ways was to but 4/5000 season tickets and give them out to Perth/Perthshire folks, but more I thought about it, if the fitba was pish they wouldnae come back. Another thing I thought about was a ticket/programme number draw. Each home game have first prive of either 5/10k and some smaller prizes (still in £1000 figures). You pay to get in and get ticket or but programme with number on it. £20 or whatever to have a 1/4/5000 chance of winning 10k, I think I would get out of the pub for that. So if I win this weeks euromillions, I might contact the club.

What are your ideas (if you had the cash to sponsor it)?

Like many other areas of life it's often not good to give people something for nothing. By paying for something they commit in a way that they generally don't if its free.

that is what I mean, some rich person (me if I win lottery) pays the prize, extra fans pay to get in and it is a win win for Saints/Saints fans (especially if team wins too).

"ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a saintee"

I have been thinking of ways (IF I WAS RICH), of how to atract fans back to McD. One of they ways was to but 4/5000 season tickets and give them out to Perth/Perthshire folks, but more I thought about it, if the fitba was pish they wouldnae come back. Another thing I thought about was a ticket/programme number draw. Each home game have first prive of either 5/10k and some smaller prizes (still in £1000 figures). You pay to get in and get ticket or but programme with number on it. £20 or whatever to have a 1/4/5000 chance of winning 10k, I think I would get out of the pub for that. So if I win this weeks euromillions, I might contact the club.

What are your ideas (if you had the cash to sponsor it)?

I have said before give away free season tickets to kids parents say 2/1, the holders still pay a sum at the gate and then pay next years season ticket that way, It worked for me i got mine years ago as a present put £20 away each home game and that pays mine now . Also to start it off mabey we could get people to sponser the season ticket for a youngster i mabey now could do this a bit like the lift over turnstile

as someone said in another thread, lets (try) and ask the likes of Brian Soutar to invest in the Saints. If my suggestion was thought out properly, it would probably cost someone like him only a few 100k per season for (x amount of seasons). The club, would get (lots) of extra revenue (gate pies/progs etc), and some lucky fans would be a wee bit richer ( now if we could only insert a clause that they had to spend winnings on Saints). ;-)

That Melville chap from Aberdeen seems to be free now, can we get some money off him!

I heard last night at Kilmarnock a fan won 2 grand hitting the cross bar from 35 yards. I know its part of the super J's package to do the half time thing but it would be good to see some of the older generation on the pitch at half time. Maybe even some of our Internet teams could have a penalty shoot out etc.

Looking at the crowds else where with the exception of 6p in the pound FC everyones gates are well down this year and when the gates go back up again hopefully ours will recover.