Del to Brentford?

Derek Patterson

You couldn't make you people up. Brentford are probably paying 5 times as much as us in wages, have a bigger stadium, larger support and are in a better league system. It's a step up and Del will be all over it. He's taken us as far as he can, and it's hilarious to see people who were calling for his head after the semi saying they "can't afford him" or "I can only hope that ... they decide against him".

Hilarious.

You put it perfectly.

However, personally I think if Del could put another good season in at saints, especially on what will be a tight budget next year, then his stock will rise more. Brentford is a step up from Saints, but is it the best step for McInnes to take right now?

On the other hand, is this as good a time for change as any at McDiarmid?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sincerely hope McInnes doesn't leave. For all the poor performances we have put in this season, we are still comfortably in the SPL. He is nowhere near the finished article, but he has impressed me and many other Saints supporters who initially doubted Geoff Brown's decision to appoint him as manager. For all the bad displays we have witnessed this season, we were treated to some wonderful stuff last season - A 5-1 win against Hibs and a 4-1 win against Rangers stick out in the mind. The latter is a match that I will never forget. I am hopeful that McInnes can get us playing attractive football again next season, and it seemed like that is what he was intending to do.

If he goes to Brentford, I will be very disappointed. I don't feel it is a step-up, but I appreciate what Derek has done for the club and would wish him all the best for the future.

As for possible replacements, I think Paul Sheerin would be a very shrewd appointment.

You couldn't make you people up. Brentford are probably paying 5 times as much as us in wages, have a bigger stadium, larger support and are in a better league system. It's a step up and Del will be all over it. He's taken us as far as he can, and it's hilarious to see people who were calling for his head after the semi saying they "can't afford him" or "I can only hope that ... they decide against him".

Hilarious.

I do not think you have the same team here.

however they have a sale value of £3million ( Probabley their ground station park springs to mind) and debt of £6million As said before Dundee sugar daddy etc.etc.

DEL i would imagine has made a few bob out of football so far he has never been out of work, Received good wages at Rangers,west brom, and dundee utd,Millwall, moved to saints on wages compairable with the average working Man and then managers wages so he is not struggling i would imagine.

Young Family stays where he wants and probably a nice house etc.

Now why move all to London for a struggling 3rd/4th division team who will never get better than where they have been.Living costs would blow his money quickley and nothing like the standard of house for your money especially in Paisley. If he goes best of luck to him but i think he could do so much better as has been said before The Sheffield teams will be looking again soon,

I suppose Lambert is the benchmark for him,

Edited by Center Half

haha Brentford!? that's a good one, I would see that as a step down. Why go to a mid table league 1 side when you're seen as one of the most promising young managers in Britain and will almost certainly be linked with Championship level jobs next season.

The thing that makes me worry is how certain the person who wrote the article is. If he did leave then I'd be really upset with Del, it's not long since he said he's still got things he wants to achieve with Saints and all that stuff, I'm sure he spouted all that after the Motherwell and Inverness games.

League 3 side - The fact that they changed the names of the leagues makes no difference. They're a league 3 side. The same as in Scotland. Dundee play in Div2. :laugh:

?? Eric Openshaw??

No a right back who played for utd and the hammers around then he played a few times for his country and and also one of the best penalty takers ever in the english leagues so it has been reported. He unfortunatley was never good enough to play for The Super Saints though .

No a right back who played for utd and the hammers around then he played a few times for his country and and also one of the best penalty takers ever in the english leagues so it has been reported. He unfortunatley was never good enough to play for The Super Saints though .

Is the old Stanley boy not too popular in this parish? Why not?

Fairly relaxed about this. If McInnes goes, then plenty other fish in the sea and while he's done a good job....no doubt others could continue it on.

As to whether he should take it, I'd say no....I reckon he could quite easily be touted for a championship club within a year. As mentioned earlier, had it been Sheff. Wed, or Utd I could understand given the potential....but Brentford?

As to potentially replacements, can't see Sheerin given what happened with Connelly....same for Weir...might be too early for both.

Don't see it being Morris, assuming he is interested in going that route, he has plenty playing time in front of him.

Certainly looks like an interesting summer.

Some thoughts.............

Smarmy Arab - as you will see from this forum McInnes is not universally loved or rated by the Saints support! A number of people actively want rid of him. This is lunacy in my view but there we go. The link with Burnley, Watford, West Brom etc all came through the media, same as this Brentford link.

McInnes has been a more successful manager for St.Johnstone than Coyle. He turned round a squad that simply would not have been promoted in the 2007/08 season had Coyle stayed and made us champions in 2008/09. We have then comfortably stayed in the SPL.

"The next level". Where is this place? Where exactly do people think we can go? Charlton sacked Alan Curbishley five or so years ago as they needed to get to the "next level". They have certainly changed levels since then.

Edited by Al C

Some thoughts.............

Smarmy Arab - as you will see from this forum McInnes is not universally loved or rated by the Saints support! A number of people actively want rid of him. This is lunacy in my view but there we go. The link with Burnley, Watford, West Brom etc all came through the media, same as this Brentford link.

McInnes has been a more successful manager for St.Johnstone than Coyle. He turned round a squad that simply would not have been promoted in the 2007/08 season had Coyle stayed and made them us champions in 2008/09. We have then comfortably stayed in the SPL.

"The next level". Where is this place? Where exactly do people think we can go? Charlton sacked Alan Curbishley five or so years ago as they needed to get to the "next level". They have certainly changed levels since then.

All fair points Al C. Not convinced that Coyle would not have matched or bettered Del's performance, but it is unknowable. As goes the 'next level' I agree totally, (that's why i put it in "" :wink:)

Edited by Smarmy Arab

just had a look at that web site someone posted earlier about this brentford and i am pissing my self at the responses. they seem to think we are skint and they have loads of money to spend as i have said before Dundee springs to mind they have a reported 6 million debt and a ground worth only 3million. sounds to me like they are 3 million short already, one poster even thinks he was manager at Watford they really can not see past the watford gap true enough.If Watford did not have the money for compensation for DEL do they?

The next level for Saints is the top 6, a Cup Final, maybe win the League Cup, all reasonable targets given the current state of Scottish football. Unfortunately, it looks like we've hit our ceiling again though.

Say we got into the top 6 and won the league cup, what then? Would we be looking to get to the "next level" again?