Del to Brentford?

Derek Patterson

Since I haven't been shot at for the Morris/Doobs suggestion, I'll throw another into the pot. Would losing Del, Doobs and Morris be such a bad thing if we got (a) compensation for Del, (B) something for Jody, and © promoted Doc to boss. I know managers and assistants usually stick together, but i suspect boss at Saints would be more attractive than no.2 at Brentford. I've got a lot of time for TD, and think with that approach we could come out with another good manager and a tidy little profit.

If Muzz goes too, we could be a long way towards balancing the books in what has been a grim season financially.

*hides*

Some folk are great assistants, but would not necessarily be good managers...IMO that would apply to Doc

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on what?

This is what Craig Levein said about him when he left the Arabs

“I’m really pleased for ‘Doc’, this is a step up for him. He’s been coaching the reserves for the past few years now and this is a natural progression.

“He’s an ambitious man and he’s going to a good club. I’m sure he’ll do well"

That was always my opinion of him. Someone ambitious and keen to progress.

Just a general feeling really...no more than that.

How often does an ex fave player return to a club as a manager and it goes wrong (Connelly anyone) and a previous assistant step up to take the reigns and same happens.

You're not permitted to go by general feelings, or any other kind of feeling on here. Serves you right if you get ripped apart for it.

Anyway you can't even spell Connolly. That's almost a crime.

This is what Craig Levein said about him when he left the Arabs

“I’m really pleased for ‘Doc’, this is a step up for him. He’s been coaching the reserves for the past few years now and this is a natural progression.

“He’s an ambitious man and he’s going to a good club. I’m sure he’ll do well"

That was always my opinion of him. Someone ambitious and keen to progress.

I have never heard a bad word about Doc. Craig Levein, Eddy Thompson, and players I have spoken to rate him very highly. Add to that he will be the cheap option, it is entirely possible Doc will get the job....if Del has the bottle to go south without his experienced partner!

Does anybody know how much the compensation is likely to be? All I have read is "six figures".

With Coyle I have a feeling it was low six figures but that was almost doubled when they won promotion, althought that latter part wasn't actually reported anywhere. Burnley weren't a fashionable or fancied club, so would expect the fact it's Brentford wouldn't stop something like that being inserted. Given he is tied to Saints until 2013, will be getting paid more than Coyle and has achieved more than Coyle, you'd hope we'd get more.

Like many I think my first reaction was that Brentford would have to be pretty ambitious to lure him away but then you starting wondering why Brentford would even think they could get McInnes, when you look at the sort of jobs he's been linked with in the past. I think BlueJ is probably quite close to the mark in why this job interests McInnes.

Ambition (both on his part and that of Brentford) is one thing but next season he'll be competiting for one of three promotion spots alongside both Sheffield clubs, Charlton and Preston and he now has no games left this season to assess the squad he'll inherit. Coyle got six months grace to see what he needed, McInnes will be expected to hit the ground running.

I understand his concerns about what more he can achieve at Saints with what is available but if he has real belief in his ability, he'll hold fire for now IMO.

I think he'll go though.

Always said he would move this summer if a decent job came up for him, the poor Perth support and the fact he has taken us as far as he could,probably will be weighing on his mind.

The Del bandwagon is starting to look like it needs a good service and a respray, maybe it will be benificial for Saints to get a new direction.

John McGlynn, Doc, Sherrin(although he's just signed a contract at Arbroath) would do.

With Coyle I have a feeling it was low six figures but that was almost doubled when they won promotion, althought that latter part wasn't actually reported anywhere.

Did not realise that at all, we did relatively well out of Coyle going then. Imagine we'll have a similar deal in place with Brentford. Brentford will be as fancied to get out of league one as Burnley were to get out of the Championship when Coyle took over; i.e. not even mentioned as contenders.

i personally think it is the right time for del to move on. i don't feel he can go any further with us and in all honesty i think he needs to go for the good of his career. I am extremely grateful for what he has done at the club it was more than what i thought he would achieve when he first got appointed but now is the time for a fresh start.

It might not matter what compensation is available for Del if Saints have to pay out themselves for their new appointment. Or are fans going to be happy if Geoff goes for the cheap option?

it's worked the last twice witht he cheap option so don't see why not

At the other end of the scale, if Del stays, and Murray stays, then we are really looking at another season with the same team, no money, and no Dubery (amongst others). In my opinion that not going to take us into the top 6, which must be the ambition - surely. So by that logic, i think they probably should both move on and let someone new start building in plenty of time for next season.

I stand by my support for Doc being promoted to boss. I think it would be a very sensible move, and a popular one with the players.

Edited by montrosesaintee
i realised i used more commas than actual words. Grammer isn't my forte.

I really think Del would try and take Doc with him.

The talk on here is quite similar to when Coyle left concerning things going stale etc. Only real difference is Coyle left us in the middle of the first division table whilst Del has us near the middle of the SPL.

I'm certainly not disputing that Del would want to take Doc, but that surely isn't up to Del. I would expect Geoff to see the merit in at least considering convincing Doc to stay. My original point was would a promotion to boss not be a much more exciting prospect for him than no.2 at Brentford?

Your second point is very very true, and hopefully it will be reflected in any compensation we get should he go.

I don't think the team has gone stale under Del. He's taken some gambles with signings/loan signings this terms that didn't go well. At least he had a gamble. I genuinely think that if he stayed one more season at least we would progress, and he would get better offers. I just don't think he will stay, so I am thinking about what may happen next.

If he had spoken to Brentford and wasn't interested, he would say so, rather than saying he has spoken to them but won't expand on it. That, to me, is as good as saying that he'll announce that he is leaving after the Midden game.

Can someone that's signed up to that Brentford website mention Charlie Adam in reply to the "he wiz pyoor shite in England and now he's braw in the sweatie league" brigade.

This looks like it's happening then doesn't it? :(

Edited by Ali91

Can someone that's signed up to that Brentford website mention Charlie Adam in reply to the "he wiz pyoor shite in England and now he's braw in the sweatie league" brigade.

This looks like it's happening then doesn't it? :(

I would say its now pretty much a done deal, its on BBC, ITV and Sky sports news. Like I said previous good luck to Del, so who do we get in to replace him?