Go Canucks Go

Moray Blue

You're absolutely right. Back in the 1950's [before floodlights] Saints' winter games at Muirton Park kicked off at around 2pm which gave you time to head home for your tea and then back up to the Ice Rink [next door to Muirton] for the Panthers' matches. Unfortunately, the formation of a British Ice Hockey league plus the growing attraction of curling eventually saw the demise of Perth Panthers. At their peak, they brought over fantastic players from Canada such as Ken Doig, Yves Cren, Mike Mazur. Do any of you remember the other Scottish teams? I can think of Dundee Tigers, Fife Flyers, Ayr Raiders, Edinburgh Royals, Paisley Pirates.
Dunfermline Vikings also after the game they had public skating so wie aw the teenage lassies flying about wie the wee short skirts it wis like a magnet for aw us teenage laddies of that era Edited by john.w
memory blast

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking good for the Bruins...

Not so sure. The cliche is a series doesn't get interesting until the home team loses, and so far that aint happened. It's been an interesting series no doubt, but I'd still have Vancouver as favourites thanks to home advantage.

Despite winning the last two games, the Bruin's net minder (*** Thomas) has kept them in the games - the Canucks out shot the Bruins in both of these matches.

The Canucks also haven't been helped by some poor net minding by Roberto Luongo and it was no surprise that he was finally pulled during the last match (he should have been pulled during the 8-1 defeat as well).

I honestly think if the Canucks had Thomas in goal, they would have won the series by now.

The Canucks have been unlucky with a broken stick an OG and generally have been playing well, until they have lost the first goal.

I also feel that the Canuck's are playing into the Bruin's hands by trying to play them at their own game when if they just concentrated on their own game and moved the puck around more they could pick them off. They do need to drastically improve their power play performances though.

I suppose game five is all about what's more important, the momentum of Boston or the home ice of the Canucks? Well that, and just what Luongo's mental state is!!

Coaches dont usually leave the goaltender in when they are gettin humped, they will normally pull him and put in the backup.

Aye the old cliche you have to win in the away building

That's why I am amazed he wasn't pulled at the end of the 2nd period in game 3, especially as he went on to lose another four goals in the 3rd.

His confidence is well known to be fragile, and to be honest it looked shot to pieces in game 4 - he was badly at fault for the first two goals.

Following the Canucks can be a bit like following Saints - they promise so much but so often fail to deliver when it really matters. I nearly put a double on earlier this year - Saints for the Scottish Cup and the Canucks for the Stanley Cup - glad now I didn't but what a nice wee earner it might have been.

Of course, we also have the Vancouver Whitecaps now playing in the Major Soccer League and their assistant coach is ex-Saint Colin Miller.

*** Thomas has been superb in the last few games I have seen, saving it will all parts of his body and showing no fear at all.

Not watched this much hockey before but its a decent watch when there is no football.

It is an added bonus being able to record it then fast forward through all the adverts, not much coverage of it so its easy to go a day and not know the score.

I remember them days Smudge, the only thing that makes it believable that they are still playin in June wis it was snowing here yesterday.

The season got longer when the NHL got greedy and started putting teams in some stupid feckin places Atlanta Georgia for one whose team is on there way back to winnipeg a real hockey town

I remember them days Smudge, the only thing that makes it believable that they are still playin in June wis it was snowing here yesterday.

The season got longer when the NHL got greedy and started putting teams in some stupid feckin places Atlanta Georgia for one whose team is on there way back to winnipeg a real hockey town

Are you saying that winnipeg does not have a hockey team at present john.

Are you saying that winnipeg does not have a hockey team at present john.
They do but a minor league team called wait for it erchie!! Manitoba Moose. Winnipeg used to have a team in the NHL called the Jets, but the arena wis small and the NHL moved it to Phoenix Arizona in the middle of the desert. There is talk of them moving as well, Quebec City used to have a team as well and money talked and they went to Colorado they are succesful at least they get snow there.

It wis a case of rich Americans wanting a new toy!!

Edited by john.w
cannae spell

The Atlanta Thrashers franchise has been sold to a group of Canadians who are moving the franchise to Winnipeg and renaming them the Winnipeg Jets.

The Jets last played in the NHL in 1996 before due to politics and $$$ they were sold and moved, eventually becoming the Phoenix Coyotes.

Of course this will mean another realignment for the NHL!!

Another woeful performance from Luongo who should have been pulled the minute he lost that opening goal, which he was at fault for.

Sadly, it was all to predictable to see him crumble yet again and by the time he was eventually hooked, it was too late.

Have no idea whether he will start game seven and I suspect if he does, his performance will ultimately determine whether Vancouver win or not.