Things I remember growing up in Letham in the 60's & 70's

Kenny1960

[*]Buying single cigarettes (usually Players No6) from the Garth Road Chippie run by Charlie and Louis Pagliari

[*]Getting chased by Mr Cook the Janny at Letham Primary for playing football in the school grounds

[*]Raiding Poples orchard

[*]The Brahan Woods

[*]The YLT

[*]After school fights between Letham and Our lady's

[*]Miss Masson - Primary 1

[*]The big maroon Coop Grocers van

Edited by Kenny1960

Lying on my front on the pavement staring at the miniscule world.

Lying on my back on the pavement looking at blue skies and aeroplanes going to America.

I was a contented wee boy.

Playing football next to the bowling green, behind the shops and in the Kirk grounds.

Playing Beddies with the girls. :)

Playing Knifie.

Suki Suncaps and TC orange and American Cream Soda.

2 Oz. of Pinapple Chunks.

Saturday tea-time getting the Sporting Post in the Welcome Inn, then being terrified by Doctor Who, cheered up by Dixon of Dock Green, then Perry Mason ........ then a Steve McQueen film hopefully.

Watching the Motor Bikes at the Washington cafe (was that its name).

Sledging down Firbank Road and Newhouse Road.

Walking past the orchard and out the Farm Road and attempting to miss any buses/lorries at the bottom.

Going to the Berrie in Essendy.

Playing up Brahan Woods and re-enacting a TV show called Combat where we had army helmets.

Getting on one of the hundreds of buses from Rannoch Road and Tweedsmuir Road to go to town and the pictures.

Walking to the football at Muirton.

Breaking windows bt accident.

Going to the Letham dentist. :shock:

Getting humped up the Seven Acres?

(playing footie that is :oops:)

Humps galore there.

That definitely had a slope especially at that age. I was seriously in a game where we were getting beat 9-1 at half-time and won 10-9. i.e. Struan Road 9 Kenmore Terrace 10.

eating Cowans 1d chews.

Eating 8 black Sambo chews = 1d.

Buying Beatles Bubble Gum cards.

Buying Flags OLf The Worlds Bubble Gum cards.

Buying American Civil War Bubble Gum cards.

Buying Scottish Footballers Bubble Gum cards.

Going round with a collection box for Letham Kirk and funding lots of food and comics with only Uggie Irvine's dad having any doubts about our motives - he was right.

Edited by Ronaldo
spelling

The rag & bone man blowing his bugle, as his horse and cart plodded along the street.

Rushing out to Jimmy Millars van on a Friday, to blow my pocket money on sweets.

I also remember an old tramp in an army greatcoat, that used to wander up the street occasionally. My old man always sent me out to give him a few coppers, regardless how hard up we were.

The air raid siren going off in Brahan Terrace. Think it was at 12 o'clock every day.

Brahan House was magic. Clambering about all over the place, on the roof, under the floorboards, you could even climb up the chimney from the ground floor kitchen range, on to the roof. How nobody was killed up there is a miracle.

Cycling out to Blackruthven berries. There used to be groups of people all over Letham waiting for the Berry/Tattie buses. Nobody wants to get their hands dirty these days. Unless you're a Furriner that is:laugh:

Brahan House was magic. Clambering about all over the place, on the roof, under the floorboards, you could even climb up the chimney from the ground floor kitchen range, on to the roof. How nobody was killed up there is a miracle.

Mind getting chased by some strange foreign doctors that were working at Brahan House once when we were coming home from school...gave me nightmares at the time...

[*]Buying single cigarettes (usually Players No6) from the Garth Road Chippie run by Charlie and Louis Pagliari

[*]Getting chased by Mr Cook the Janny at Letham Primary for playing football in the school grounds

[*]The Brahan Woods

[*]The YLT

i remember all this very well

Humps galore there.

That definitely had a slope especially at that age. I was seriously in a game where we were getting beat 9-1 at half-time and won 10-9. i.e. Struan Road 9 Kenmore Terrace 10.

eating McCowans 1d chews.

Eating 6 black Sambo chews = 1d.

Buying Beatles Bubble Gum cards.

Buying Flags OLf The Worlds Bubble Gum cards.

Buying American Civil War Bubble Gum cards.

Buying Scottish Footballers Bubble Gum cards.

Going round with a collection box for Letham Kirk and funding lots of food and comics with only Uggie Irvine's dad having any doubts about our motives - he was right.

Uggie Irving always gets a mention on the Letham Posts, i know the Irvings very well,

Even walking by that place would get my knees a knocking.....let alone sitting in that waiting room waiting to be called in.....

That place then would probably be banned by today's standards. :laugh: Nothing got your confidence up like listening to kids your age screaming to the noise of a drill in the dentists chair and then coming through with his mouth all distorted and spraying blood into a hanky and his Mum quietly saying to me "Best of luck son".

Uggie Irving always gets a mention on the Letham Posts, i know the Irvings very well,

So did I. When I knew them they lived in Newhouse and Uggie normally went up Kenmore and the path through at the garages so that's how he got to know us. He was a bit older than us. Kids were very sociable creatures while fighting each other all the time too - it was fine I always thought their second name was Irvine not Irving. I heard Uggie passed away not so long back with cancer.

So did I. When I knew them they lived in Newhouse and Uggie normally went up Kenmore and the path through at the garages so that's how he got to know us. He was a bit older than us. Kids were very sociable creatures while fighting each other all the time too - it was fine I always thought their second name was Irvine not Irving. I heard Uggie passed away not so long back with cancer.

Uggie died a few years ago a very lonely person sadly. his mum used to look after me so knew them very well, that when they lived above chippy in Garth. His mum and dad are also both passed away several years ago. Gordon Irving (gogs) lives in Sheffield, Clive in Auchterarder and Raymond is still here in Perth. Uggies 3 Daughters stay in Letham but i dont know what happened to Scott and Jamie the kids he had to his 1st wife

EVEN THE DEAF HAVE

HEARD OF THE MLT:cool:

YLT- bunch o saps

TLT- bigger saps

MLT- guarding lethams northern border since 1973:cool:

buying REAL shandy in unmarked brown bottles from a dodgy icecream van.

Charlie Goodhall

slade socks

Charlie Goodall was my teacher in p6 and p7, great guy loved his fags, whisky and star trek

Charlie Goodall was my teacher in p6 and p7, great guy loved his fags, whisky and star trek

and corny jokes:laugh:

e.g.-

charlie- who invented the fireplace?

us- dunno?

charlie- alfred the great:laugh:

us- eh?

charlie- ALFRED THE GREAT:laugh:

us- huh?

charlie- ALFRED THE G-R-A-T-E

us- oh yeh :laugh:

Edited by saint sid

and corny jokes:laugh:

e.g.-

charlie- who invented the fireplace?

us- dunno?

charlie- alfred the great:laugh:

us- eh?

charlie- ALFRED THE GREAT:laugh:

us- huh?

charlie- ALFRED THE G-R-A-T-E

us- oh yeh :laugh:

he never told us any jokes,he was too busyin the cupboard taking a wee drink. I remember one day fora joke welocked him in meanwhile Mr Mccallum came to the class looking for him. The lies we told

[*]The Brahan Woods

[*]The YLT

first recollection of letham was visiting my old man at work in the building of the houses at the junction of campsie road and rannoch road.

we had to take cover behind a partially built house south west corner of campsie road, while the workmen used dynamite to blast the rock in the area diagonally opposite enable the foundations to be laid.

had never seen a real explosion at my tender age and its one i have never forgotten.

didn't half make me cack myself.

i always knew the welcome inn was closed as every night i would hear specks angus singing his head off as he headed home along logie crescent.sometimes he would fall doon the stairs of the close he lived in .this would be repeated every night.specks and his family moved to bridgend about 1977 where i believe he kept up the tradition as I do recall him on top of the pool table in the strathy early 80's.specks rip.