Things I remember growing up in Letham in the 60's & 70's

Kenny1960

Getting the belt in primary five two weeks after moving to Greenock. Had only heard weegie accents on the telly and thought it was really funny hearing a class load talk like this for real. When the teacher asked why I was giggling I had the sense not to explain but she insisted on belting me if I didn't. Better her than a kicking !

I've been in Letham.

Metal framed single glazed windows in the ****cil houses on Tweedsmuir Road - Baltic in the winter. Ice on the windows on the inside & the toilet froze!!

The power cuts in when all the lights went out at once. Our house looked over the Mercer Terrace area, down to Rannoch Road & up to Burghmuir - it was weird to see all the lights go out all at once.

Smudger, the Co-OP milk horse - and the neighbours fighting over his natural wastage to 'feed the roses in their gairdens'

Tommy Gemmell - who scored an important goal once in some cup final - visiting his uncle who lived across the road from me.

Walking to school with Brian Souter and Soulful Saint on occasion

Getting the bus into town for three ha'pennies or a penny if you walked down to the roundabout on Rannoch Road. That left a ha'penny to feast on sweets in town.

Footie in the park beside the community centre/bowling green

The riots in the Sat. discos in the community centre.

Being able to walk to Muirton to see the Saints

Playing Football in Jeanfield Park most nights and also watching Kinnoull & Perth Celtic play there. Sledging in the same park.

The Guy Fox bonfire at the top of the hill in Jeanfield Park. We collected the wood and hid it in the allotments behind Hawarden Terr. so as it was not stolen then guarding the fire when it was built so as some numpty didn't set it on fire before Guy Fox night.

The siren on Firbank Road

Getting sent down to the rent office on Rannoch Road with the money to pay the rent

The police station on Rannoch Road

The dreaded Letham dentist.

Was born and brought up in Letham and am proud to say so.

bloody hell i got a big keeker of a black eye at the caley about then the kunt got me from behind.i always thought it was @@ (am no saying).got to first year at the high school and found out who done it .the fecker was given letham justice before assembly for that.

bloody hell i got a big keeker of a black eye at the caley about then the kunt got me from behind.i always thought it was @@ (am no saying).got to first year at the high school and found out who done it .the fecker was given letham justice before assembly for that.

aye, the fire escape across the road from the railway is where i got shoved into the fire escape steps and got my keeker.am lucky i still got an eye.i remember another letham boy being carried by the jannie to get first aid having stabbed his leg on the railings surrounding the school.check they feckin spikes as they are still there.