The Downhill Slide of Saints Support

The Inspiration

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The deal on Saturday was fantastic.

A tenner to take yourself and two kids during the summer holidays is great value, but as usual it didn't seem to get the reaction it deserved.

Let's get the kids hooked before we die. Ormond stand £15 for a parent and child, extra £2 for every additional kid. A mini-saints raffle (that makes enough just to cover costs of prizes), Supersaint to stay at that stand and entertain. Hire acts like clowns before the game to entertain them outside. Fancy dress games @ certain times. Blue hair days. Link up with local business to make the experience more fun for the kids (include discounts for parents as part of any season ticket), sell ice cream when it gets hotter. Make it an experience!

The deal on Saturday was fantastic.

Supersaint to stay at that stand and entertain. Hire acts like clowns before the game to entertain them outside. Fancy dress games @ certain times. Blue hair days. Link up with local business to make the experience more fun for the kids (include discounts for parents as part of any season ticket), sell ice cream when it gets hotter. Make it an experience!

Just remember this is football not the circus!:laugh:

Just remember this is football not the circus!:laugh:

It needs to be more than football to get the kids hooked. There are too many things to do now, and unfortunately there seems to be a lack of younger people supporting their local team.

Football needs to move with the times, it wouldn't cost the club much money to make the package more appealing to families.

We need ideas and we need to start introducing them soon or the likes of St Johnstone will die (alot later than most agreed) and we will all have to support so-called "mega sides"!

What desperate times?! I've been going off and on since the mid 70s and what we are getting now is about par. In fact, for a lot of that time we'd have been more than happy with what we're getting now. It's a myth that there are shitloads of missing fans, an absolute myth. If you start giving your product away regularly for free or almost free, you can never go back, the genie is out the bottle. I wish someone would publish the home support average for the modern era i.e. 75 onwards. Let the facts speak. I'd be very surprised if it tops 3K.

What desperate times?! I've been going off and on since the mid 70s and what we are getting now is about par. In fact, for a lot of that time we'd have been more than happy with what we're getting now. It's a myth that there are shitloads of missing fans, an absolute myth. If you start giving your product away regularly for free or almost free, you can never go back, the genie is out the bottle. I wish someone would publish the home support average for the modern era i.e. 75 onwards. Let the facts speak. I'd be very surprised if it tops 3K.

In the early 80s the crowd average was very rarely over 2000 people! Generally the best period for Scottish football in terms of attendance (since the 50s etc) would probably be the mid to late 1990s.

Brilliant post,i think the problem being we have a stadium far to big for a small team,,if we had a ground capacity of about 6500 we would have a better atmosphere.

Brilliant post,i think the problem being we have a stadium far to big for a small team,,if we had a ground capacity of about 6500 we would have a better atmosphere.

rubbish.we are not the only all seater ground that lacks a spark of atmosphere.even parkheid and ibrox have the same problem.are you suggesting they both have there capacities cut.man united and other clubs also have tried designated singing areas.

Bring back a limited amount off terracing to grounds.put the paying supporters before the prawn sandwich corporate brigade.

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2472&comp_id=12

This is a good site for stats, doesn't have much individual game information pre mid 90s but looking at some of the attendance figures on there from 1998-99...

...The 4-0 humping of (1st division) Hibs in the League Cup 3rd round was on a Tuesday night and had a crowd of 8,165. This years corresponding game was against (premier league) St Mirren and was watched by 2296.

Then the game against Aberdeen on Jan 2nd was just shy of 9000 attendance wise whereas last season's fixture on the same day vs Inverness was just over 3000.

Overall, if you factor out the old firm games, our average that year was over 5000.

Obviously attendances have varied quite a lot over the years but normally it seems to be around about 5/6000 when we're riding high in the top flight and a hardcore of a couple of thousand when we're struggling.

What worries me is that this season we're playing attractive football, scoring goals, winning games and generally (thus far) having our most successful season since the late 90s yet we're pulling a crowd not much better than when we were struggling in the 1st division a few years ago.

It'd be interesting (in the most depressing way possible) to see what sort of home support we'd attract if we had another bottom half of the first division season in the next few years.

Personally I'll continue to go and watch Saints through thick and thin but this season, Utd game aside, we've not had anything close to the atmosphere we deserve and it's a problem that plays on my mind every time I go to McDiarmid.

Bring back a limited amount off terracing to grounds.put the paying supporters before the prawn sandwich corporate brigade.

If we're going to lose the north stand I'd like to see terracing replace it. Even if we only get to use it for cup games to begin with just to see what sort of effect it'd have on atmosphere.

Might be the sort of thing to make the powers that be see sense. Obviously a lot of folks like to sit down but I'm not one of them and it's not like there's a shortage of seats for for those who want them as things stand.

If we're going to lose the north stand I'd like to see terracing replace it. Even if we only get to use it for cup games to begin with just to see what sort of effect it'd have on atmosphere.

Might be the sort of thing to make the powers that be see sense. Obviously a lot of folks like to sit down but I'm not one of them and it's not like there's a shortage of seats for for those who want them as things stand.

could always get some sort of petition on the go?

• 1 month later...
Has the financial case for a price reduction ever been given, apart from 'naw we'd lose money'?

I mean if we cut prices to say £10 across the board, what effect does this have on revenue, and what effect does this have on operating profit?

For the rest of the season you will have a lot of pissed off season ticket holders.

Has the financial case for a price reduction ever been given, apart from 'naw we'd lose money'?

I mean if we cut prices to say £10 across the board, what effect does this have on revenue, and what effect does this have on operating profit?

You don't need to be a mathematically genius to calculate that if you cut the price in half then you are going to have to more than double your gate to make a profit. Saints have tried the £10 for all in the past and from memory I don't see us getting anywhere near double the gate.

As said above less revenue and 2000 pissed off season ticket holders would be the outcome.

Sunday should provide a good crowd with all celtic tickets being sold both stands plus the Side of the main stand.

It would be an interesting experiment, you'd realistically need an investor prepared to make up the income to a pre-defined target incase it all went Pete Tong. Would be interesting to see what would happen if they sold season tickets on the basis of it working out at £10 a game.

Individual price deductions don't work, we've proven that but I think a long term deduction would be interesting