Another shop bites the dust...

sjfc99

The Early Learning Centre is to close. Mothercare who own ELC are struggling so closing a lot of stores. They are apparently hopeful of getting into another location - the centre being mentioned - where the rates are much cheaper. Still the loss of yet another well-established popular and busy shop, not to mention the jobs lost as well.

• 2 weeks later...
you would not be allowed on some jobsites without safety gear i:e hardhat safety boots that had less construction going on than the High St

and a life jacket for when it rains with how bad some of the puddles have been over the summer!

how many of the "workers" doing high street arent actually doing anything when you pass!

and a life jacket for when it rains with how bad some of the puddles have been over the summer!

how many of the "workers" doing high street arent actually doing anything when you pass!

when I was back somebody was telling me the boys laying the paving are from Portugal and get flown home every weekend, when I worked there we were lucky to get home from Aberfeldy for the weekend

when I was back somebody was telling me the boys laying the paving are from Portugal and get flown home every weekend, when I worked there we were lucky to get home from Aberfeldy for the weekend

im pretty sure your right with them being from portugal and most have a decent summer tan which wasnt from our summer in scotland!

is it not if you employ people via an agency withing in the eu then you get around minimum wage in this country..........?

im pretty sure your right with them being from portugal and most have a decent summer tan which wasnt from our summer in scotland!

is it not if you employ people via an agency withing in the eu then you get around minimum wage in this country..........?

Will be minimum wage of the country you are employed in upwards with no cap.

They will be liable to UK tax though.

• 1 month later...

Spent the weekend in inverness and only seen two empty shops. Town centre was busy on friday morning and afternoon. I walked down Perth high street on Thursday and barely seen a soul. For what was a bustling street at one time it certainly seems that its one of many in the town that's dying.

You're right it would be unfair to blame the council entirely although they are not helping the situation! Spending the tourist season digging up the main shopping area and making it in general as difficuilt and unattractive as possible for tourists and locals alike to access shops. The parking situation in Perth doesn't help matters either! Why they haven't reinstated the short term parking round the City Hall is beyond me! With the provision (or over provision ) of supermarkets with free parking on the edge of town , it is little wonder that the town centre is struggling!

Was shocked & gutted to see Wilkies on Canal Street had shut on my wee jaunt to Perth last week. It had been there my whole life & was a real Perth institution. Very sad to see it replaced by a crappy furniture shop. Bill Wilkie still is a legend, a contemporary of the amazing Peter Sellers & his Grandson drums for Snow Patrol and Belle & Sebastian.

A big loss.

You're right it would be unfair to blame the council entirely although they are not helping the situation! Spending the tourist season digging up the main shopping area and making it in general as difficuilt and unattractive as possible for tourists and locals alike to access shops. The parking situation in Perth doesn't help matters either! Why they haven't reinstated the short term parking round the City Hall is beyond me! With the provision (or over provision ) of supermarkets with free parking on the edge of town , it is little wonder that the town centre is struggling!
So who decides to do the work during that priod? So who dictates parking policy? City Hall shambles? The Council is entirely to blame.

Only 99.9% then!!

The digging up of the pedestrianised centre must be on a par with the Edinburgh tram fiasco for the length of time it is taking - in town for a while friday and during the 30 minutes I was there they laid a whole 3 blocks, certainly not being paid by results!!

As for the city centre rates, they have been quoted time and again as being one of the root causes for businesses closing (through out the country and not just Perth), but how many of these business re-open somewhere cheaper? Having said that, whenever a chain store closes some branches Perth seems to suffer.

So who decides to do the work during that priod? So who dictates parking policy? City Hall shambles? The Council is entirely to blame.

Policy at national and local level over the last 20 years has led to the reconfiguration of public space and the re-planning of road systems to suit, ironically - cars! Retail parks and supermarkets have sucked the life out of city centres, as well as a good proportion of the wealth produced and spent which is hoovered out of the area to global corporate enterprises. Add to that online shopping and 'high streets' as we have known them are in decay - all part of Neo-Liberal hegemony!