Another shop bites the dust...

sjfc99

Myself and Dev were playing snooker there before the last two home games. There was no heating on- so the temperature through in the snooker hall was around 6 degrees C. There was actually a bloke in playing snooker with gloves on. Another pair packed in after one frame an asked for a refund.

It could be a good club but it has been so badly run its unreal.

Heard loads of bad stories over the last few months.

Anyone want to invest £120k to buy the old James Street snooker hall and get it on the go again!?

The problem with a snooker hall is that the maximum income per table is £5, which is a huge limiting factor, especially when you consider I'd guess 50% of the time that the majority of tables will be free. You'd be relying on high sales of food and drink, higher footfall from games on the big screen. I'd rather waste my 120k on a villa in Florida myself!

Foundry is another place laid out in such a way that most seats either have no view of a screen, or only a very, very distant one. They also never (or very, very rarely) have the commentary on.

when was the last time you were in there

2 screens for sitting at the bar,2 at the bottom end,1 main screen,2 at the other end,also one at the courtyard not ideal at this time of year

if you ask for commentary there is a very good chance they will

i can think of 1 small section where you can not see a screen,therefore i would say that most seats have a view of a screen

if you want to meet for a pint we can look at the viewing points,please don't bring slf with you and no drinking newcastle

when was the last time you were in there

2 screens for sitting at the bar,2 at the bottom end,1 main screen,2 at the other end,also one at the courtyard not ideal at this time of year

if you ask for commentary there is a very good chance they will

i can think of 1 small section where you can not see a screen,therefore i would say that most seats have a view of a screen

if you want to meet for a pint we can look at the viewing points,please don't bring slf with you and no drinking newcastle

I'm actually quite regular in there. I don't even consider going in for the football because I find it quite awkward for watching games. If you get the right seat then great - but because its so busy you're usually left with either standing to get a reasonable view or sitting in an awkward wee corner and not getting a great view.

The problem with a snooker hall is that the maximum income per table is £5, which is a huge limiting factor, especially when you consider I'd guess 50% of the time that the majority of tables will be free. You'd be relying on high sales of food and drink, higher footfall from games on the big screen. I'd rather waste my 120k on a villa in Florida myself!

Mate o mine runs a snooker joint down here. At quiet times (when the bar isn't open) it's £5 an hour. It goes up to £9 an hour at busy times, usually lunchtime and 8-10pm. He has ~350 members, all of whom pay £5 a month to get a 25% discount on fees. Besides the bar (which just has shitey pie and beans type food) he has a wee shop selling cues, chalk, and other snooker paraphrenalia; he'll repair cues, change weights, all other sorts of stuff. He just runs the place himself wi his laddie helping out behind the bar. He has 9 tables and makes a good living from it.

PS - Can ye get a villa in Florida for £120k???

Edited by babychunder

PS - Can ye get a villa in Florida for £120k???

That's about $180k. For that money you can get a 4 bedroom 3 bathroom villa in Davenport, one of the main villa hotspots, including pool and spa. You could rent that out for a minimum of £65 a night - about £450 a week, and that's in the off season!

Or alternatively you could buy James Street snooker club and spend your spare time throwing snooker balls at insolent teenagers like the previous occupants did!

I'd probably rather have the villa to be honest.

That said, I'd be astounded if someone couldn't make good money running a snooker hall properly in Perth. There is enough demand out there, if it is operated and marketed properly.

Sounds a decent club babychunder, I've simply never been to a club in perth run well. Maybe a better manager club would be a success.

As for Florida, you get a whole lot for your cash. Especially properties that are repossessed. I was in Davenport in April (and will be next year) and theres plenty of choice of amazing houses.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding snooker halls I think it's more to do with lack of people playing than anything else, down my way we had a cracking place called Millars which had around 30 snooker tables and 6-8 American pool tables. Stephen Hendry played there as a youngster and 15 years ago it was thriving, I remember having to wait for a table sometimes and on a weekend you nearly always had to book a table. It was very well run, reasonable prices and a decent bar area but gradually less and less people went and it was bought over and now has only 5 or 6 tables and has been converted into a bar/nightclub.

• 4 weeks later...

Word on the street is that there will be a bit of movement in the St John's Centre in the coming weeks.

Apparently River Island is to close its current store, and temporarily move into the two units directly opposite Primark's entrance in the centre (formerly D2 and First Choice I think). In the meantime, River Island's current unit and the one beside it, currently HMV, will be fully renovated, with the shop floor size increased to take in the upper floor which is currently unused. River Island will then move into where HMV currently resides, with a new retailer - potentially H&M but that is totally unconfirmed - taking up RI's place. The person telling me this says they have no idea what's happening to HMV, but they're pretty certain about River Island's forthcoming manouevres.

Word on the street is that there will be a bit of movement in the St John's Centre in the coming weeks.

Apparently River Island is to close its current store, and temporarily move into the two units directly opposite Primark's entrance in the centre (formerly D2 and First Choice I think). In the meantime, River Island's current unit and the one beside it, currently HMV, will be fully renovated, with the shop floor size increased to take in the upper floor which is currently unused. River Island will then move into where HMV currently resides, with a new retailer - potentially H&M but that is totally unconfirmed - taking up RI's place. The person telling me this says they have no idea what's happening to HMV, but they're pretty certain about River Island's forthcoming manouevres.

Heard similar stuff from a mate as well, also big plans for Retail Park!

Edited by THE LARK SAINT

UNCONFIRMED RUMOUR

I have heard about Peddies the Ironmonger in Old High Street are closing their doors for good this year, apparently the owner is retiring.

Anybody out there know anything?

IF this store is shutting, it would be a sad loss to Perth AND another empty building.

Edited by Carron