Another shop bites the dust...

sjfc99

Greggs, Baynes, Murrays.

As far as his nibs and I are concerned, it is Murrays, as they are what we call a 'scratch baker'. Made and baked there.

Greggs and Baynes are 'bung in oven' or BIO bakers. Pies, sausage rolls, pasties are made elsewhere and are baked on the premises.Tried and not liked.

Greggs, Baynes, Murrays.

As far as his nibs and I are concerned, it is Murrays, as they are what we call a 'scratch baker'. Made and baked there.

Greggs and Baynes are 'bung in oven' or BIO bakers. Pies, sausage rolls, pasties are made elsewhere and are baked on the premises.Tried and not liked.

Where is Baynes Bakehouse.??

The LOFT coffee/furniture shop in the High St. (nr. the empty Bang & Olufsen shop) has large FOR SALE sign outside.

the loft coffee shop is only up for sale as they cannot use the top floor due to fire rregulation,looking for suitable premises in town centre,it has been on sale for a few months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

JD Sports now open.

The town was really busy yesterday afternoon with surprisingly long queues in shops and cafes. I wonder if the festive free parking had anything to do with this. If not, why bother? If so, why not do it permanently? The problem is, the Council never share this kind of data unless it backs up their current position.

Anyone know when that new Costa is opening?

JD Sports now open.

The town was really busy yesterday afternoon with surprisingly long queues in shops and cafes. I wonder if the festive free parking had anything to do with this. If not, why bother? If so, why not do it permanently? The problem is, the Council never share this kind of data unless it backs up their current position.

Anyone know when that new Costa is opening?

Do you know what is going in the old Curry's building next to Costa? Seems a really bizarre location for a Costa

Do you know what is going in the old Curry's building next to Costa? Seems a really bizarre location for a Costa

Think you'd be surprised. There must be hundreds of people work in that retail park, plus the thousands of customers every day, plus all the trades people that go in and out of Wickes etc. Busy part of town. 

The retail park and Perth as a whole are at least moving in the right direction and as such the future looks bright. Perth was for many years looking rather shabby but things are now starting to look a wee bit better, and I for one am looking forward to the next few years as far as Perth (and hopefully Saints) is concerned.

The retail park and Perth as a whole are at least moving in the right direction and as such the future looks bright. Perth was for many years looking rather shabby but things are now starting to look a wee bit better, and I for one am looking forward to the next few years as far as Perth (and hopefully Saints) is concerned.

I think I am missing what you are seeing.

I think I am missing what you are seeing.

I agree with ejksjfc, the retail park is looking much better than recent years. For a while I thought it was going to be done away with there were so many empty premises and rhe car park was terrible.

Granted the stores aren't great but it's an improvement, Perth really needs to attract more businesses and move forward as it's been left behind by so many similar sized cities.

On the other hand, Stirling is a similar size and has a much better retail experience.  As does Dunfermline.  As does Falkirk.  There's no point in looking at worse places and saying "at least we're better than that".  We should be looking at places that are doing a better job and saying "there's no reason we can't be as good as that".

Perth Council are failing badly.

On the other hand, Stirling is a similar size and has a much better retail experience.  As does Dunfermline.  As does Falkirk.  There's no point in looking at worse places and saying "at least we're better than that".  We should be looking at places that are doing a better job and saying "there's no reason we can't be as good as that".

Perth Council are failing badly.

similar size??? I would hazard a guess Stirlings population is about double Perth and Falkirk  treble  so hardly a comparison. Not sure about  Dunfermline 

similar size??? I would hazard a guess Stirlings population is about double Perth and Falkirk  treble  so hardly a comparison. Not sure about  Dunfermline 

Records from 2012 show Perth as being more populous than all three of these although Dunfermline is growing so quickly that might not be the case now.

I can't speak of Falkirk (Faal-kirk, ,according to that TV advert) having never enjoyed their "retail experience" but it really depends what type of... retail experience you are looking for. Perth's shopping centre and branches of major chains are clearly inferior to Stirling and even Dunfermline. Take a wander outside the Thistle centre however and Stirling is a dump. Dunfermline has a much nicer town centre with similar mix of indie shops, cafes and restaurants as Perth. I do think Perth's centre is the nicer place to be in, eat, drink or get a turkish hair cut but if I need new clothes I'll be going to Dundee or Glasgow.

Stirling, Falkirk and Dunfermline are closer to major cities so why does Perth not attract the same level of major chains?