#07 - 10/09/11 - St Mirren 0-0 Saints - SPL

Liams shot which Sampson couldnt hold and Adams missed the rebound was the only shot on target I can think of.

Thought Thompson was unlucky to get booked for them, don t think he was looking for the penalty, think he more slipped, he was straight back up on his feet saying it wasn t, looked like Enks was supporting his view but then Thompson seemed to have a go at him so don t know what was said.The St Mirren programme today shows just how great value our programme is at £1, theres certainly had no more content than ours does but costs £2.50.

Loving the beans you get with yer Pies and Bridies though.

No having a go at you straw but it shows how people see things differently.

Thompson defo went for the penalty and would have taken it if given.

Enks would have been at Cardiff with him so a bit of banter between them about it.

Free beans sound good but they were crap as was the bridie.

A good point for us in the end.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A hard worked draw away at St Mirren in the SPL against one of the in form teams at the start at the season in a game where we played poor, and already the poster pricks are vying for blood.

Few of us were at or will remember the game where we went to paisley on a mid week night and beat that BIG SPL team St Mirren when we were the shitey and lowly st johnstone near bottom of the lowest division. I for one recognise that today was a good hard earned point.

we weren't shitey captain but we were about as good as your navigating skills getting back too Perth after that match.how the feck ye can drive a boat i dont know.

No it was sarcism. I only rate Jacko out of these three & doubt if he would score too many in SPL.

Have to be happy with a point at Paisley this early in the season. 3 away games 5 points 0 goals against. Would probably have bitten your hand off for that at beginning of season.

Think Del is playing it tight early on `til he sees how the league pans out.

Just a pity we threw away 5 points at home or we would be sitting pretty.

totally agree cagey these 5 points would have us up into 4th place, shows how tight the league is.

Was it not Cillian who shot?

Yes you're right, it was Cillian.

That game was pish. A total borefest mainly because of St Murn's passing it around the defence and keeper. Barca style my arse.

As a team we were very poor so happy with a point although I think Fran was very close to giving us an awesome finish to the game. Samson was well beaten.

We obviously didn't create much - although we did actually have a couple of good chances. The fact is though that when about 40% of the entire 90 minutes was spent with them playing the ball back and forward to the keeper, we clearly weren't going to get too much of the ball to come forward. Shame Sandaza didn't ping that one in with the last kick of the ball!

We obviously didn't create much - although we did actually have a couple of good chances. The fact is though that when about 40% of the entire 90 minutes was spent with them playing the ball back and forward to the keeper, we clearly weren't going to get too much of the ball to come forward. Shame Sandaza didn't ping that one in with the last kick of the ball!

Thought it was going to curl in too. He had another snapshot that might have edged in at left post in first 45mins too. Take the point.

To play poorly and take a point away from home in the SPL will always be welcome I suppose and I guess the way we set out was the obvious tactic to stop them as they always seemed happy just passing it about at the back, rather than really looking to hurt us. That part of the plan was fine but we have to do more ourselves going forward. Three away matches and three clean sheets is great but we have barely created a thing against Aberdeen and St Mirren. The base is there but just need to find that bit more balance that lets us threaten to win matches because of the chances created, rather than because of just nicking one, as at Celtic Park (where those tactics are acceptable). You still have to retain hope though that the manager can tweak things just a wee bit to get that balance right as we're certainly giving ourselves a chance to win matches on the road with the way we're defending.

St Mirren have been much hyped but they certainly aren't Kilmarnock of last season on that evidence. Everything for Killie went through Eremenko, everything for the Buddies goes through Craig Samson it seems. It'll be interesting to see them away from home in a few weeks, when there is more pressure on us to go out and be positive, as they do have players who will hurt teams like McGowan and Hasselbaink. Thought their two bigger names in Thompson and Teale were bit disappointing though.

In terms of our players, Frazer Wright continues to impress, especially with having had to fill Duberry's boots and much happier with Liam Craig this season, who seems to be getting back to the player we saw in his first three seasons here. Sandaza was quiet but still had some nice touches and could have nicked the three points at the end but David Robertson sadly still has a bit to go to win over the doubters I'd guess. I know he sees himself as a central midfielder but I'm struggling to see him establishing himself in that area and suspect he might end up playing more often out wide. Finnigan too struggled when he came on unfortunately. We did badly miss Morris in addition to Murray Davidson IMO but then most teams in the SPL would suffer without there two (maybe three if you include Moon) central midfielders.

Regards the Steven Thompson thing, I thought it was a dive. He maybe pulled out of it when he realised how embarrassing an attempt to win a penalty it was but his first thoughts appeared to be to try and manufacture contact with our goalkeeper. The St Mirren fans appeared to lose all rational thought regarding the referee as the game wore on though.

In short, happy with a point if not totally with all aspects of the performance and happy to remain unbeaten against them, especially with so many of their fans predicting they'd give us a doing, something that never looked on the cards.

I think in time St Mirren will have to change their style. At times they had 2 players out wide but we could stay tight in the middle of the park as why take 1 pass when 43 will do.

The one thing I would say is credit to Lennon for at least trying something different and not the same Largs things that every other manager seems to do.

Was there a need to thank the 300 plus (I cannot remember the exact number) of away fans or was that an attempted wind up?

Anyway that level of support shows who will follow Saints to the Glasgow area when the home club do not promote bigotry. :roll:

th_Panorama3trim.jpg

i think in time st mirren will have to change their style. At times they had 2 players out wide but we could stay tight in the middle of the park as why take 1 pass when 43 will do.

The one thing i would say is credit to lennon for at least trying something different and not the same largs things that every other manager seems to do.

Was there a need to thank the 300 plus (i cannot remember the exact number) of away fans or was that an attempted wind up?

Anyway that level of support shows who will follow saints to the glasgow area when the home club do not promote bigotry. :roll:

th_panorama3trim.jpg

I think in time St Mirren will have to change their style. At times they had 2 players out wide but we could stay tight in the middle of the park as why take 1 pass when 43 will do.

The one thing I would say is credit to Lennon for at least trying something different and not the same Largs things that every other manager seems to do.

killie came unstuck last year playing the same way with the ball going out to the full backs all the time. Interesting that they adapted it slightly late in the first half and started playing the ball longer at times.

Derek McInnes was quick to acknowledge that his players hadn’t performed at the level they have done recently in Saturday’s 1-1- draw with St Mirren an with that in mind was happy that his side took a point from the game. :?

http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/newsitemsdetail.php?param=1684

Damn i must have missed the goals