North Stand....Should it stay or should it go?

Jimmy Wallace

North Stand - Stay or Go  

110 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It is confirmed on the official site that the North Stand is likely to go, albeit to be replaced by either a smaller stand or something other than a fence, to make way for a new road. Now that this is more than just an idea, how do you feel about it?

My gut reaction initially was "over my dead body", which I'm sure Geoff would have been only too happy to see (only joking Mr B!), but given the state of football and the lack of fans in the ground, I'm not sure we can really blame the club for going along with this. I still think it will ruin a small but perfectly formed stadium, but maybe the traffic noise will help make up for the lack of atmosphere!

So do we man the barricades or grudgingly agree that this is the way we have to go?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first heard about this I was completely against it however after reading the article on the official web site, I’m starting to change my mind.

We will still have a capacity of over 8,000 which only ever gets filled for old firm games.

We gain some compensation which would be put towards improvements for the club.

He also states that they would put something in to replace it such as a small stand, how about make that part terracing?

It’s a change to our stadium that I think puts people off the idea because we're losing a stand however the club would benefit this. I trust Geoff.

It will depend on what the proposal is to replace it with. One thing though, it will surely kill the atmosphere at the scoreboard end completely (on the rare occasion there is any these days).

Would the proposal then be for away fans to occupy the Ormond stand, or will they always be housed in the north end of the main stand? How would that affect travelling support, as it is more expensive?

The family section would probably have to be moved as well if away fans go into the Ormond, which some who are used to sitting at that end of the stadium may not be too pleased with.

Still a lot of questions.....

The stadium is too big for Perth footballing purposes. Even for OF games we only get 6/7 k. The days of packed stadiums like "the Airdrie game" are LONG gone. In these changing times, we need to be realistic. If we can make money out of letting go the fourth stand and re-adjsuting the stadium , well let's do it. I am 100% behind this as long as St Johnstone Football club benefit.

It will depend on what the proposal is to replace it with. One thing though, it will surely kill the atmosphere at the scoreboard end completely (on the rare occasion there is any these days).

Would the proposal then be for away fans to occupy the Ormond stand, or will they always be housed in the north end of the main stand? How would that affect travelling support, as it is more expensive?

The family section would probably have to be moved as well if away fans go into the Ormond, which some who are used to sitting at that end of the stadium may not be too pleased with.

Still a lot of questions.....

Your questions are of minor importance when looking at the bigger picture and all, I am sure will be readily resolved.

I like that idea as well BUT is it legal ? and does it meet SPL qualification standards ??

I see Celtic are trying to get a section of terracing allowed for the 'Green Brigade' to use.

As much as I hate them, it might give some weight to any proposal we have for terracing. Only thing is, would you trade a seat alongside the pitch to stand behind a goal? I generally hate being behind the goals, especially if relatively 'low down'

I see Celtic are trying to get a section of terracing allowed for the 'Green Brigade' to use.

As much as I hate them, it might give some weight to any proposal we have for terracing. Only thing is, would you trade a seat alongside the pitch to stand behind a goal? I generally hate being behind the goals, especially if relatively 'low down'

Well there you go ! You would accept terracing as long as it suits YOU. This is the unity problem we are going to have. With the proposals, of course the terracing is behind the goals ! Would you be allowed to bring in a soap box, then you could be higher ??

I wouldn't be entirely against it if there was another, smaller, stand build in the same space, especially if they found a way to maintain the same kind of roofline as is currently there. That way the appearance of the stadium doesn't change massively and we get a big influx of money over a period of many, many years as compensation.

If it was just going to be a big empty space that would be pretty chronic though.

I just wonder if the long game here isn't to make the transport links with the land even better than they currently are, then sell the entire site and move to a new ground, around about 8000 capacity, somewhere else in the Perth area. If they're intending on building new homes on the other side of McDiarmid and the proposed new road then the site of McDiarmid itself would be prime land - or perfect for some kind of industrial/retail distribution hub linked straight on to the main road.

Well there you go ! You would accept terracing as long as it suits YOU. This is the unity problem we are going to have. With the proposals, of course the terracing is behind the goals ! Would you be allowed to bring in a soap box, then you could be higher ??

Calm down!! I think if you read my post properly you will decipher that I would support terracing, am aware that it would be behind the goal, but merely added in that I, personally, am not sure that I would use it as I prefer being alongside the pitch for a better view.

Edited by Edstar101

In basic terms it's a case of a keeping a four-sided 10,000 seat stadium or making some money over, what appears will be, an extended period of time.

Really though, I don't think we've been told much about the plans and notice a bit in the PA that has been left off the official site that mentions a corner of the East Stand, although it's not clear if it's talking about the stand itself or just the land behind it.

If the club/council sell this properly to the fans, I'd think there might be little opposition. If we can make money over the long-term, put something in place that will generate income (gym?) and have a stand/terracing in place, it seems like the right move for hte club.

Saints were leaders when McDiarmid Park became the first purpose built all seated stadium, so it would be interesting to see us explore the safe terracing thing.

Jamie could be onto something though with this being part of a bigger plan to move away from McDiarmid Park eventually.

http://www.saintsrlfc.com/tickets/page/1149

The new St Helens RLFC stadium is 18,000 capacity, 10,000 seats and 8,000 standing on terracings behind each goal.

Why are they allowed to do this yet football clubs aren't? After all, all-seater stadia are there for safety reasons and nothing else. :rolleyes:

If we go for an out of proportion tiny stand behind the north goal we can get Aviva to buy the naming rights so that they can twin us with the Aviva/Lansdowne Road in Dublin.

I would love it if they replaced it with a standing area!

Mixed emotions as I think it will ruin the aesthetic of the ground but will take the dosh.

No, memories tied to it as I have never sat foot in it!

Has anyone??? Maybe for the Monaco game??

The only time I was ever in it was when they did a fire evacuation exercise. You had to turn up early, but got a free ticket to the game that day.

http://www.saintsrlfc.com/tickets/page/1149

The new St Helens RLFC stadium is 18,000 capacity, 10,000 seats and 8,000 standing on terracings behind each goal.

Why are they allowed to do this yet football clubs aren't? After all, all-seater stadia are there for safety reasons and nothing else. :rolleyes:

If we go for an out of proportion tiny stand behind the north goal we can get Aviva to buy the naming rights so that they can twin us with the Aviva/Lansdowne Road in Dublin.

Maybe something to do with the knuckle dragging old firm neathandrels that we require to put up with ?

I just wonder if the long game here isn't to make the transport links with the land even better than they currently are, then sell the entire site and move to a new ground, around about 8000 capacity, somewhere else in the Perth area. If they're intending on building new homes on the other side of McDiarmid and the proposed new road then the site of McDiarmid itself would be prime land - or perfect for some kind of industrial/retail distribution hub linked straight on to the main road.

I was thinking the same thing, he may be selling this small section at a higher than Market price.