Your worst SJFC team of all time

Guest Harry Curran's Love child

David Bagan, Pat Barkey, Billy Blackie, Jim Bowie, Dyron Daal, Gordon Drummond, Peter Fyhr, Billy Gavine, John Irvine, Neil Janczyk, Paul Kinnaird, Denis McDaid, Ian Redford. So many others to choose from but for the time being at least, they've been erased from memory.

Some pretty harsh selections in there Jimmy!! There have been far worse players than Dods, McCluskey, Grainger, Murray and McGinnis surely? In my opinion I will stress.....

We paid £165,000 for John Davies!! Was a hard player to take to mind you.

For me having started watching Saints in 1988 it is difficult not to just to reproduce a team from the Connolly season in 2004/05. For example could we feasibly have lined up as follows;

Samson

Cowan

Webb

Lovering

Tait

Bagan

Hannah

Mahood

Hardy

McConalgoue

Moore

Deary, deary me!!

Excellent thread idea. As you say not easy, we've had some right shite over the years! I've tried to avoid complete no-marks, ie guys who only played once or twice and have tried to give intelligent reasons for my picks. No current players, so no Ando! :razz:

Craig Samson (a toilet personified)

Andy Millen (went on to have a decent and long career elsewhere, but by God he was rank at Saints)

Darren Dods (actually not the worst defender we've ever had, but his distribution was by the far the worst I've ever seen. Scored a few goals for us when at arabs.)

Stuart McCluskey (would start a fight in an empty room, a complete liability)

Danny Grainger (ok going forward, sometimes, but pitifully awful defender)

Grant Murray (complete passenger of a player, beyond me how he ever got a game)

Gary McGinnis (otherwise known as Gary McUseless. Decent goal in replay against Inverness Caledonian. That was it.)

John Davies (useless little fud)

Martyn Fotheringham (apparently highly talented with bags of natural ability, but certainly not at football)

Cleveland Taylor (couldn't cross a blackboard with a bit of chalk)

Gavin Redford (hahahahahahahahahha, stinking)

Keep thinking of other honking individuals. Martin Lauchlan, Paul "nae i" Deas, Tommy Coyle, Jordan Tait)

Scary thing is BH that team cost almost £500k to assemble!! Donaldson 80k, McBride 200k, McLaren 50k & Thomas 100k

From my years of watching Saints (and trying not to pick players who only appeared a couple of times -which means leaving out Michael McGovern, Peter Fhyr, Martin Lauchlan and loads of others)...

Samson

Frail Kemble Vata Donaldson

Lynch McBride Reilly McLaren

Thomas Stewart

Some pretty harsh selections in there Jimmy!! There have been far worse players than Dods, McCluskey, Grainger, Murray and McGinnis surely? In my opinion I will stress.....

We paid £165,000 for John Davies!! Was a hard player to take to mind you.

I thought they were all awful, and (importantly), memorably awful. I'm sure I could trawl through a list of teams over the years and find the odd no-mark who nobody really remembers, but the above are guys who got games week in week out in their respective eras and it was completely beyond me why. I'm possibly being too harsh on Dods and Grainger, but I'll stand by the other selections. Couldn't stand John Davies. I never booed him though! :wink:

I'm possibly being too harsh on Dods and Grainger, but I'll stand by the other selections.

I don't really understand the Dods selection - he played practically every week at central defence in a team that finished 3rd and barely conceded any goals. Have to say I also thought Grant Murray was one of the few players who did well for us in our relegation season and subsequent first season back in the First Division. I think we've had far, far worse than both of those two (and I don't really remember Davies or McGinnis being that bad either, although I was quite young when they played for us). I remember Davies being one of those players who the crowd just seemed to take exception to for some reason, no matter what he did (a bit like Darren Jackson, actually, who I thought played pretty well for us but was hated from day one).

I don't really understand the Dods selection - he played practically every week at central defence in a team that finished 3rd and barely conceded any goals. Have to say I also thought Grant Murray was one of the few players who did well for us in our relegation season and subsequent first season back in the First Division. I think we've had far, far worse than both of those two (and I don't really remember Davies or McGinnis being that bad either, although I was quite young when they played for us). I remember Davies being one of those players who the crowd just seemed to take exception to for some reason, no matter what he did (a bit like Darren Jackson, actually, who I thought played pretty well for us but was hated from day one).

I put Darren in because of his woeful distribution. I did say in my original post that he was not the worst defender we ever had, but that his passing from defence was abysmal. It used to do my head in. To be fair, I have conceded maybe I was a little harsh including him in a worst eleven.

I'm afraid we'll just have to agree to differ on Grant Murray, John Davies and Fanny McUseless. Personally I thought Murray was a passenger and that play completely broke down on the few occasions he ever actually had the ball. Not sure I ever saw John Davies make a forward pass. Coupled with the fact he was an odious little creep of a man makes him a shoe in for my worst ever. Trust me he was shittier than a shitty thing from Shitsville on St Shitty's Day (as Baldrick might say). Fanny was also atrocious and he dined out on his exploits in Europe with the arabs (where he actually spent most of the time on the bench). Another expert at breaking up play, only for Saints and not the opposition that is. A true contender for worst Saint ever in my opinion. But then I think Ando is gash, and always have done, so what do I know? :)

What I have noticed is that many are quoting players who were poor at stages in our history when we were, in the main, a decent side. There must be loads of players who went through our ranks when we were in the lower divisions who were hopeless, but just didn't stick out as such as the rest of the team, and generally the opposition, were pants too....Vinnia Arkins, Joe Reid etc etc