new manager

bankfoot saint

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Which clubs are going to be needing a manager in the summer?

I reckon quite a few would have a little look atr Del if we were to achieve a top 6. If McCoist can't win the league this season with Lennon as his opponent he should never be allowed to manage any team again, including girls U-12 sides. I think he'd be in the running for that job.

I would not be keen on any has beens, including Messrs Jefferies and Calderwood. The one I would have a really serious problem with would be John Hughes. He's a complete numpty.

As others have said though I trust Geoff to pick the right person, and chances are it would be someone none of us has mentioned. Probably Ando!

Edited by Jimmy Wallace

Guest Harry Curran's Love child

David Weir fits the bill if we were to go down the experienced player with good contacts and looking to break into management route. Think he has sights on going back down south though.

Sturrock??

David Weir fits the bill if we were to go down the experienced player with good contacts and looking to break into management route. Think he has sights on going back down south though.

Sturrock??

I remember Luggy saying he fancied a move north one day but to go part time.

You know what you're getting from experienced old hands but I'd like us to use the model that's been successful for us the past few years

I'm as big a fan of Paul Sheerin as anyone on here. He's one of my favourote ever Saints players, and he was even one of my favourites during the Connolly days when he was hugely unpopular with many others - but I have absolutely no idea why so many people are suggesting him as our next manager. Can anyone actually provide some reasons?

Surely if there's one thing McInnes has proven during his time here, it's the importance of having good contacts extending outside Scotland/the SPL/the Old Squirm. He's been able to bring guys to Saints who would never even have considered coming up here before - and I also think most other managers in Scotland wouldn't even have known about the opportunities to sign guys like Morris, Duberry, Enckleman, Sandaza etc, let alone actually pull those deals off. Does Sheerin have those sorts of contacts? His transfer policy for Arbroath so far has revolved around signing ex-Saints players, so who would he sign if he was Saints manager? Would players from England and beyond want to come here to play for him? Would they even have heard of him? And would he be a strong enough personality to get the best out of those players if they did come here? I seriously doubt that he, or any other manager from the Scottish lower leagues, fits that bill (and exactly the same thing goes for Allan Moore).

For what it's worth, I don't think McInnes will go yet. He arguably turned down a more appealing job at Brentford, where he'd have had a bit of money behind him and the opportunity to take a club into a promotion race. At Bristol City, he'd be plunged straight into a relegation fight - something he's never dealt with before - and he'd immediately have fans on his back if he didn't turn things round pretty quickly. That looks like a really difficult job to me. If he continues on his current trajectory with Saints, a better job than the Bristol City one will come along soon.

If he does go, there are very few ex-Saints players I'd be keen on us taking (although I do think Nick Dasovic could be an exception). I also wouldn't want to see us go down the Jim Jefferies/Jimmy Calderwood/Bobby Williamson route (and I don't think Geoff Brown would want that sort of manager anyway). I'd definitely want Jody Morris (and maybe Doobs as well) to be involved in the decision and possibly offered some sort of role, but I don't think they'd be in the running for the top job. I think that, more likely than anything, it would be another completely unexpected appointment from the board (but I reckon Geoff Brown probably already knows who he'd want).

Edited by blueheaven

For what it's worth, I don't think McInnes will go yet. He arguably turned down a more appealing job at Brentford, where he'd have had a bit of money behind him and the opportunity to take a club into a promotion race. At Bristol City, he'd be plunged straight into a relegation fight - something he's never dealt with before - and he'd immediately have fans on his back if he didn't turn things round pretty quickly. That looks like a really difficult job to me. If he continues on his current trajectory with Saints, a better job than the Bristol City one will come along soon.

i agree with BH, i think bristol is not a good job

Nick Dasovic for me with either Jody Morris or Paul Sherrin as his assistant.

With Nick on board we could maybe tap into the North American market for young players which is something most top teams in this country do not do.

Like the managers players could be tempted to come and play for Saints on the basis it gets them seen and maybe get a move to England if they do well.

If we wait a few hours a certain Mr Lennon will be looking for work, not that I would ever have that man anywhere near McDiarmid Park

Nick Dasovic for me with either Jody Morris or Paul Sherrin as his assistant.

With Nick on board we could maybe tap into the North American market for young players which is something most top teams in this country do not do.

Like the managers players could be tempted to come and play for Saints on the basis it gets them seen and maybe get a move to England if they do well.

If we wait a few hours a certain Mr Lennon will be looking for work, not that I would ever have that man anywhere near McDiarmid Park

I agree here totaly......

I have been very very impressed with the standard of soccer here..

Could be a good shout..(if needed which now looks closer..)

Surprise Bollan hasn't been getting more of a mention in terms of ex saintees. 2 successive promotions with livi -a brEtter record than weir or sheerin...

I would disagree. Livi are a much bigger club with more money than Arbroath. They only went down to 3rd Div due to administration. They have always been a 1st Division team in the lower leagues.

What Paul Sheerin has achieved is pretty amazing for a club like Arbroath who had never won anything in their history. He has been in the job just over a year & has them top of Div 2.

Would love to see Sheerinho back at Saints. He is a class act!

I would disagree. Livi are a much bigger club with more money than Arbroath. They only went down to 3rd Div due to administration. They have always been a 1st Division team in the lower leagues.

What Paul Sheerin has achieved is pretty amazing for a club like Arbroath who had never won anything in their history. He has been in the job just over a year & has them top of Div 2.

Would love to see Sheerinho back at Saints. He is a class act!

I actually agree with you. I probably should have qualified that with "on paper".

Surprise Bollan hasn't been getting more of a mention in terms of ex saintees. 2 successive promotions with livi -a brEtter record than weir or sheerin...

I'm always surprised he's rarely mentioned given his record. He's almost one of the forgotten ex-Saints for some reason.

Does not have the contacts according to geof.

I would imagine any compensation we get for Del would be more than we'd have to pay for someone under contract so I'd hope paying out that wouldn't stop him going for the right man if he is contracted somewhere else.