new manager

bankfoot saint

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always surprised he's rarely mentioned given his record. He's almost one of the forgotten ex-Saints for some reason.

I would imagine any compensation we get for Del would be more than we'd have to pay for someone under contract so I'd hope paying out that wouldn't stop him going for the right man if he is contracted somewhere else.

Blue he was saying he had no contacts in the game not under contract although i understand your reasoning as my spelling can some times be pish

If Alan Preston is to be believed he said he had spoken to Geoff this a/noon and Geoff already had his replacement in mind. Suggested it was going to be a young hungry manager...that would rule out Jefferies.

Geoff also makes a big thing of having contacts in the game...reckon that would take Sheerin out of things.

Heard Hughes at the game today...and all I could think was God please no....

If Alan Preston is to be believed he said he had spoken to Geoff this a/noon and Geoff already had his replacement in mind. Suggested it was going to be a young hungry manager...that would rule out Jefferies.

Geoff also makes a big thing of having contacts in the game...reckon that would take Sheerin out of things.

Heard Hughes at the game today...and all I could think was God please no....

Paul Hartley?!

He played for us before Hearts and Celtic, i might be wrong but we actually turned him into a central midfielder, I think he'd mainly been a wide man before playing for us. My comment was Tongue in Cheek. While DMc is intelligent, JR Hartley is a boring, miserable bugger and I wouldn't really want him back here.

Some things just stick in your head and I remember listening to Radio Scotland one Friday night a couple of years ago. The guests were Biscuits, Stuart Cosgrove and Spencey was presenting. It was right around the time Leigh Griffiths signed for Dundee. Anyway, Allan Preston said at that point (I think McInnes was being linked with WBA) that Geoff Brown already knew who he wanted as our next boss. Not suggesting it's the same man but not surprised he has someone in mind.

At the same time though, I'd hope the club do consider any applications. We must be one of the most desirable jobs in the country just now and you never know who might fancy the job.

Certainly in terms of criteria, you imagine contacts will rank highly but they have to be relevant. I'd question whether Jody Morris, for example, has contacts relevant to us. Did he not end up at Saints because nobody in England would touch him? Not sure he can just tweet Rio and ask him to pop up on a five-year deal.

Please not Jeffries or Calderwood. Even bigger no to Hughes, the post match interviews alone would grind me. Fully agree that Sheerin would be a popular appointment in terms of sentiment, but the contacts issue would surely put Geoff off? In my opinion there are three main factors which should be considered in the shortlisting process:

1) Ambition

2) Intelligence

3) Contacts/ability to sign players who would otherwise be considered out of our league.

The old 'Experience' ritual in appointing managers seems to have died, which I personally am delighted with, in my opinion this 50 year old senile merry go round was one of the elements causing Scottish football to become stale. McCall, D. Lennon and Kenny Shiiels have got there teams playing lovely fitbaw.

Ultimately, I think Geoff should make the appointment which best continues the great work Del has done. In my opinion this means Jody in some sort of role. If it ain't broke....

I'll go on record though. In Geoff I trust.

It's going to be a tough balance to find for Geoff if Del does leave. He'll have to find a way to bring in someone who will continue what could be a very special season, but also build for the longer term. I feel that we'll follow a similar profile to Coyle and McInnes, however I am almost convinced that the Morris shouts are wide off the mark. The more likely is Callum Davidson, as he ticks every box that Geoff is looking for. Jody only ticks most of the boxes, but those few areas he doesn't will likely go against him when it comes to the Manager's job at this stage.

The Sheerin, Moore shouts are all possible, if slightly unlikely. Purely on the contacts issue which is clearly held so important by the Chairman. David Weir is an interesting one. He does tick all the boxes, but he would have to weigh up his options as to where he wants his career to progress. As does Neil McCann, who I suggested in April during the Brentford Saga. A name which some thought ridiculous, but when you break it down, it really isn't. The likes of Jeffries are far too much the establishment and I can't see Geoff considering him.

It's going to be a tough call, an interesting one and a decision which could open a new era for the Club. It'll be exciting for sure, when you put tyhe dissapointment of Del leaving behind you, and like others, I trust the Chairman in bringing in someone who will help the Club continue to flourish in a positive manner.

Edited by Davis Love III