May out on Loan

supersaint44

Going on the fact our performances are poor and the bookies have him as favourite to be sacked, it is reasonable to consider the possibility Lomas may leave soon. What if he sees May as surplus, sells him, and then leaves?

SB should stop him letting the best young saints player of recent years leave on the cheap given that SL has done very little to show that he has the management ability to be trusted with such decisions and his job is currently so tenuous (in light of supporter dissatisfaction with regard to the pathetic football we have been subjected to since the split)

I think it would be a mistake to sell May outright as I think he shows lots of promise and I think it should be be Saints that find out whether he can cut it or not rather than another team as it may well come back to haunt us. I even think a loan deal would slow his progress as he'll have x number of months in the first then he'll have the latter half of the season to try and get back up to speed. He should be developed as an SPL player and for the record I though I showed a lot against the Dons. He was always looking for the ball, looked to win it back and managed to find space. He was only let down by the service he was given by the midfield.

However having said all that perhaps Steve Brown has told Lomas he needs to offload a player before he can bring someone in and I guess May would be our most saleable/loanable asset at the moment (i.e. we would actually be able to sell/loan him in the current market). So perhaps the dilemma is that we either keep May and hope he develops into a really good SPL player throughout the season and keep our squad as it is or we move him on and bring in someone who Lomas thinks is better and can help us push for top 6.

Would we be happy to sacrifice top 6 if it meant we kept May but he turned out not to be good enough? I think it's worth the risk.

I think it would be a mistake to sell May outright as I think he shows lots of promise and I think it should be be Saints that find out whether he can cut it or not rather than another team as it may well come back to haunt us. I even think a loan deal would slow his progress as he'll have x number of months in the first then he'll have the latter half of the season to try and get back up to speed. He should be developed as an SPL player and for the record I though I showed a lot against the Dons. He was always looking for the ball, looked to win it back and managed to find space. He was only let down by the service he was given by the midfield.

However having said all that perhaps Steve Brown has told Lomas he needs to offload a player before he can bring someone in and I guess May would be our most saleable/loanable asset at the moment (i.e. we would actually be able to sell/loan him in the current market). So perhaps the dilemma is that we either keep May and hope he develops into a really good SPL player throughout the season and keep our squad as it is or we move him on and bring in someone who Lomas thinks is better and can help us push for top 6.

Would we be happy to sacrifice top 6 if it meant we kept May but he turned out not to be good enough? I think it's worth the risk.

Totally agree with this post. Lomas has gone right down in my estimation, why should young players want to come to Perth when it is likely that they will never get a chance near the first team? Caddis is another player who must be wondering whether to stay.

Still think that Stevie tries to play, has been played out of position. At the Aberdeen game he was the one player that I thought looked positive.

I would rather we gave him a proper chance to learn at SPL level but this must be in the right position. How else will he get a chance to learn from more experienced players. Dundee Utd have had no difficulty in bringing in their young lads such as Armstrong, Dow and Hilston ( some of them had also been on short term loan).

SOS = Save Our Stevie! (as in May not Lomas!! :laugh:

If we let May go it is a very silly mistake and could come back to haunt us. Your not telling me that Higgins is deemed as a better player/prospect than him? Stevie May is already as good (if not better) and has years on him to develop. A loan move wouldn't be bad, but a permanent move would be stupid.

I also think that Stevie May did well against Aberdeen. He was played out of postition - way too deep imo (he was winning the ball at right back ffs) - but still looked keen to make things happen. He was the one player on the park who looked like he may be able to make something happen out of nothing but with him being so deep he was never on the shoulder of the last man.

I can't understand why Higgins gets the nod ahead of him. I could understand it if SL was trying to protect him but you need to give him a run in the team in his preferred position if he's going to develop. There's no need to loan him out for that.

Get him up front along with one of our guys with more physical presence (Tade/Beattie) who can win the ball and bring him into the play or knock it on for him to chase. We could have a partnership like Deuchar/Jackson when they were banging them in for fun.

Loan? No.

Sell? Definitely not. Let's develop some of our own before paying over the odds for mediocrity.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...