#24 - 07/01/12 Saints 2-1 Brechin City - Scottish Cup

Would they shout it to player's face if not in the safety of a crowd? If not that mean's they think about it and highly strung doesn't really come into it. I give referees stick and would happily tell them how crap they are to their faces.

I doubt they see the crowd as any form of safety. If they were in the front row and the player was beside them and they done it, they would get lambasted by those on here anyway.

So, what do you suggest, when Encks came out and got nowhere near that corner on Saturday and I had a wee stand up and a shout at him about having to be more commanding, was I being cowardly and actually should have made an appointment with his secretary in order to voice my concern directly to his face?? After the game, did I feel exactly the same as I did at that precise moment and feel that there would be anything to gain by 'saying it to the players face'?

Of course not :roll:

Can people not shout anything at a game now without it being measured against this "would you say it to their face" criteria???

John, as Broon said....verbals from the crowd have been a part of football for ever.....I strongly doubt that these people were all cowards

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irrelevant and over exaggerated....being a pro footballer is a completely different set of circumstances to a normal job. On the same line of thought, how many people jump about and go wild if I do my job properly??? Do people pay £20+ to come and watch me at my work, travelling some distance to do so?? Anybody got a poster of me on their wall?? (except you Joe)

Got to cover the dart board with something. :shock:

I doubt they see the crowd as any form of safety. If they were in the front row and the player was beside them and they done it, they would get lambasted by those on here anyway.

So, what do you suggest, when Encks came out and got nowhere near that corner on Saturday and I had a wee stand up and a shout at him about having to be more commanding, was I being cowardly and actually should have made an appointment with his secretary in order to voice my concern directly to his face?? After the game, did I feel exactly the same as I did at that precise moment and feel that there would be anything to gain by 'saying it to the players face'?

Of course not :roll:

Can people not shout anything at a game now without it being measured against this "would you say it to their face" criteria???

John, as Broon said....verbals from the crowd have been a part of football for ever.....I strongly doubt that these people were all cowards

A lot of it depends on what you said. Oh for **** sake Enk or similar criticism about what has just happened could be judged as a reaction. A rant about his overall ability is unacceptable.

I really cant understand at all how you cant see people calling players all the names under the sun in a crowd but not on a one to one as not cowards. How many supports sut up when the player hears it and challenges them? In my experience most.

A lot of it depends on what you said. Oh for **** sake Enk or similar criticism about what has just happened could be judged as a reaction. A rant about his overall ability is unacceptable.

I really cant understand at all how you cant see people calling players all the names under the sun in a crowd but not on a one to one as not cowards. How many supports sut up when the player hears it and challenges them? In my experience most.

When Hardie was looking to do a Cantona on Ghostie,anyway

This is exactly my point as well John, of course we all mutter to ourselves and mates we're with the occasional "Oh for **** sake" but as you say, shouting out right abuse like "Millar your ****ing Sh*te" (which we've all heard in the East stand) etc.. is bang out of order and does nothing to encourage players at all.

As for this excuse that it's football and should be expected by players. I'm sure they players are well aware that they are going to get abuse on the field, but from opposition supporters not their own, and therein lies the entire point we're trying to make!

My episode was along those lines :D

This is exactly my point as well John, of course we all mutter to ourselves and mates we're with the occasional "Oh for **** sake" but as you say, shouting out right abuse like "Millar your ****ing Sh*te" (which we've all heard in the East stand) etc.. is bang out of order and does nothing to encourage players at all.

As for this excuse that it's football and should be expected by players. I'm sure they players are well aware that they are going to get abuse on the field, but from opposition supporters not their own, and therein lies the entire point we're trying to make!

Very niaive if they think that

Oh...I may have also shouted something (directed at Lomas) about taking Jody off after he got foolishly booked (as all he would potentially do that day to contribute was to get sent off).

My bad?? Apologies to everyone for raising my voice above a whisper and for the sole purpose of shouting something that may have upset either someone in the crowd or on the pitch

Oh...I may have also shouted something (directed at Lomas) about taking Jody off after he got foolishly booked (as all he would potentially do that day to contribute was to get sent off).

My bad?? Apologies to everyone for raising my voice above a whisper and for the sole purpose of shouting something that may have upset either someone in the crowd or on the pitch

Just being silly now! Well certainly on my point.

When Hardie was looking to do a Cantona on Ghostie,anyway

I think you will find I was more than happy to continue my rant at MMM. He didnae scare me. It is Very very rare for me to be directly abusive to a Saints player but that night I was raging and had he wanted to come up and see me, I would have still been there and at the time would have man enough to repeat what I said.

Afterwards, in the cold light of day, I did reflect that I had gone too far but football is avery high octane game sometimes and at the time, I would have taken any chunt on as I was very very unhappy..

NOT PROUD of what I did but fans can be like players in respect that the red mist can descend sometimes and you just go mental..

Did I say it was justified.Fans think 'cause they pay £21 to get in they can shout what ever they want.I dont...

Sorry xmas misread your post, my apologies.

Encouraging that a number of people feel the same way about the abuse. Completely agree with dougie on the idiocy of shouting abuse as a form of encouragement - as if footballers are superhumans who respond differently than you or me to constant criticism.

I don't accept the line that anyone who speaks out against their own players getting abuse is some wet pansy. I've no problems at all with wild over the top abuse of opposition players, especially if they have no hair. What I do have a problem with is those who abuse our own players, and those who try to make excuses for this behaviour / try to dismiss it as an insoluble problem. It's never going to go away completely, but the levels abuse and negativity at the moment in the stands are over the top.