Craig Whyte. A man never out of court

The ghost of Jim Morton

Having had dealings with him before his take-over and found him to be a sound guy (despite confessing to be a Rangers fan) I genuinely believe he has been stitched up.

If you look at the time line in the dealings it is clear he swithered and I believe his heart ruled his head under pressure from David Murray & Co. 

There was little diligence done on behalf of the sellers who were desperate to off load the financially damaged club.

The wrong person is in the dock.

There are two charges, the first is a technical one under the Companies Act about how his company paid the Bank of Scotland. He is nailed-on guilty for that one. The second is more serious, in that his acquisition of the club was fraudulent, specifically his misrepresentation that he had funds available and committed the relevant guarantees and warranties knowingly. I'd be very surprised if he's not found guilty of that too.

The usual sentence for the technical one is a fine and being disbarred from being a director. For the fraud one he will get time. A one year stint as a minimum, reduced by time spent in custody (if any). If the judge takes a dim view it could be a three-to-five stretch.

I would say not guilty and I know Rangers fans who agree. Really seems a disgruntled Rangers fan in the Crown Prosecution Service has got to far ahead of themselves bringing this trial up.

No surprise that Rangers fans are of the opinion that he is not guilty.

After all nothing of note has occurred to cause any concern at their beloved club.:wink:

Please excuse my ignorance but is this a good or bad result for The The Rangers. I am a tad confused because they went to the wall (almost) before because they were spending money they didn't have and now in this close season they are doing the same.

My apologies to any pedants out there I do realise present day The Rangers are a different entity to the old co.

It doesn't affect old or new Rangers as clubs or companies, it was purely about Whyte. 

You could argue it lessens the reputation of Oldco even more, but I don't think anyone cares anymore, except Sevco fans who are absolutely seething because their self-delusion that Oldco was perfect and did nothing wrong but was just taken to the cleaners by a bad, bad man who ran away has been shattered again  (see Bears Den for some quality seething, apparently the jury were all Fenians).

The focus will now presumably return to Whyte's civil case against Oldco where he claims still to own the old (and new) club's assets, but again, who cares?

Indeed and, as has been said by many, it was always the wrong man on the stand.

It is widely known, in fact has now been shown in court, (never mentioned in media circles though), that the real culprits are/were all Real Rangers Men.

Edited by Indicator

I really don't understand what the problem was. Murray sold him the club for £1 and passed on the debts of the club with it. He financed the repayment of the debt using the porojected income of the club. 

Did Glacier not do similar at Man Utd. Bought the Club using loans which were then put on the books f Man Utd. That was why they suddenly had debt of hundreds of millions.

Incredible that the daily record today is looking to protect Murray, it was his stewardship that created the debt and then he dropped it in order to save his own company.

Doncaster reported as saying he has vowed that a figure like businessman Craig Whyte will never be allowed to enter Scottish football.

Does that sound like an admission of failure by him and his cronies?

Well they recently let a man take over Rangers even though he has a tax conviction so their words are meaningless.

Ah but... did they. I mean didn't M. Ashley have to withdraw from recent litigation because it transpired that unknown to most the SFA had not approved DK as being a fit person to be CEO of whichever club is now resident at Ibrox.

The fact that they are allowing him to run the new club from the 'Holding Company Vehicle' shows just how shallow their governance is, and further demonstrates that like their glossy 'Mission Statements' - we can see that it is nothing but transparent bluster. It's as you say - meaningless.

Edited by Indicator

• 3 weeks later...

This is a good read and mentions a lot of things the BBC managed to miss out on the reporting of the trial - http://www.scottishreview.net/MauriceSmith290a.html

One bombshell is that Rangers, under David Murray, used ticketus to fund the transfer of Nikica Jelavić to Rangers.

Edited by garydavidson