March 31st 1990

Wish i was Joe McGurn

I had a crap seat in the east stand but luckily it was a season ticket holders and was double booked , with it being a sell out i moved up to the scoreboard end on the stairs , brilliant atmosphere , brilliant game , section b tryin to get on the pitch , this game had it all . Probably the best game i've witnessed .

Fantastic day, superb weather, cracking crowd, and a match that had everything.... How many times did we hit the woodwork that day? at no point was I despondent, I knew we were gonna win, and we only let them get the first goal to make a game of it. In reality, we coulda been 10-0 up at half time, and sent cherry out on his tod for the second half and still won. Great day, great memories, easily the best game at McD.

Definitely my all time favourite game at McDiarmid. Everything about that day was superb except Airdrie scoring.

Still remeber Dougie Donnelly introducing this game on Sportscene as "quite simply one of the best games we have covered in a very long time"

So many happy memories of this match, including going aboultely mental without about 4 mates on the steps when Roddy's header went in and walking into the Royal to watch the match just as it came on Sportscene. Bar full of Saints fans we ordered 5 pints and one of the arseholes behind the bar switched the telly off claiming that it would just cause trouble to which the reply was

2 your right there you can stick your pints up your a*** and we headed to the Tw Tams to watch the match there.

I still have the full 90 minutes ona DVD an d play it regularly.My boys alos eenjoy watching it . Slightly more significant to them was the fact that owen Coyle was playing for Airdrie that day after they had spent £175,000 buying him. Fond memories indeed. IN fact hee haw on the telly just now will go and get that DVD on and geta couple of beers out of the fridge. :D

Yea, Yea, Yea, Fuquing silver weding in Lemington spa that day, So Saints had a present day four season ticket holders no there, How ever we watched the old BBC teleprinter in Dixons shopfront window come up with the score and we were dancing in the street the locals wondered what had happened :laugh:

On a serious note. This was a significant transitional moment for Saints. Up until that day, Airdrie were seen as a bigger club than us but that thought is now ancient history. By then we had seen off several clubs that were often thought to be bigger than us: Clyde, Morton, Dunfermline, Raith, Ayr etc. Many younger members take being above these teams for granted now. The last twenty have been a remarkable and unprecedented era for the club. Love it.

SS you forgot Dundee:), Falkirk, Partick Thistle,and at one point Forfar:oops:

or were they the etc:)

walking into the Royal to watch the match just as it came on Sportscene. Bar full of Saints fans we ordered 5 pints and one of the arseholes behind the bar switched the telly off claiming that it would just cause trouble to which the reply was

2 your right there you can stick your pints up your a*** and we headed to the Tw Tams to watch the match there.

Still the same for fifers,just ask Dave Mc

• 2 years later...

Tell you what's good about watch that clip again. Straight from kick-off Airdrie forward run at and jumps with his back into the Saints player who has just put ball up front for the Saints player to go jumping into the defender elbow first. Now a days 2 fouls, and 2 yellow or 1 yellow 1 red cards in the first 5 seconds of the game would've resulted.

Sliding tackles from the back (that would be another red card), cuts pouring with blood (no having to leave the pitch for stitches, bandage) pass backs to the keeper !!!

Jesus, even the pitch look good after a seasons playing on it. 

Oh those halcyon days.

After watch that clip, went on to watch the Saints 3-1 and 4-1 games against Rangers.

It made me realise, we, over the years have had some cracking, quality players, who have never had the recognition, caps, that they should have had.     :cool:

Sorry kind of lost the thread of the post there, rose glasses and glazed eyes.

My memories are in 3 stages.

1. Walking down the Goodlyburn Road aged 5 - 8 with my dad, older brother and his mate, getting a lift over the gate and being in the stand, if it was a big game, being held, sitting on the barrier at the front, legs over the boardings.

2. 12 - 17 walking from the Dundee Road into town, meeting mates and walking to the game. Standing in the shed area with the quoir or behind the Ice Rink goal, ambushing Dundee at St Leonards Street mid week after we won on their way to the railway station.

3. Playing there in the schools cup finals, scored a half dozen goals at both ends over the years.

Great days  :cool: