Summer Transfer Target Thread 2012

t.mcneil99

We lost several big earners in the summer,so i assume we've still got money in the kitty for a couple of signings,don't think for a minute that SB will be bullied by SL

Saints are a well run club, a lot of others aren't.

Where others may have to cut back a LOT due to the 'No Rangers' factor (maybe because of bank repayments, maybe because of further financial worries) Saints are a club with no debt, that have sensible owners who know what's going on money-wise. Our cut-backs will probably not be as severe as the others in the league, because we've been so well run.

Add to that the wages being freed up by Morris, Enkleman, Sheridan & Sandaza - probably our 4 biggest earners (at a guess), then I can see there still being some cash left in the pot. Even if the pot has maybe been reduced slightly since last season. The only new signing I can see even being within touching distance of those big earners is Beattie (Vine at a push), so I assume we'd have some left over for a couple of other faces.

I don't quite see where else we need to sign players. Assuming Hasselbaink will play right wing when we have 2 strikers out of Beattie, Tade and Vine available, we now have a good first team squad and adequate cover in pretty much every position.

I agree. The only position we might need another body is on the wings. If we are to sign a winger, I think it should be a different option to what we have. We have industry in Craig and Millar and pace and power in Hasselbaink (and even Tade who might get used wide) so I think we need a bit of trickery and guille.

In terms of the midfield, I think we lack someone who can put their foot on the ball and control the game. I think we'll really miss Morris this season for that but, unless we get rid of 1 or 2 (I'm looking at you Robertson) then I can't see us bringing in anyone for that position.

The only position we might need another body is on the wings. If we are to sign a winger, I think it should be a different option to what we have. We have industry in Craig and Millar and pace and power in Hasselbaink (and even Tade who might get used wide) so I think we need a bit of trickery and guille.

In terms of the midfield, I think we lack someone who can put their foot on the ball and control the game. I think we'll really miss Morris this season for that but, unless we get rid of 1 or 2 (I'm looking at you Robertson) then I can't see us bringing in anyone for that position.

If we can get rid of Robertson and bring in one more wide midfielder or possibly another central midfielder if they can improve the first team then we will have a strong looking squad.

At the moment we could field a couple of decent looking teams without resorting to U21 players.

Mannus

MacKay Ando Wright Davidson

Hasslebaink Cregg Davidson Craig

Vine Beattie

Clark

Miller Mccracken Scobbie

Adams

Millar Moon Robertson

Tade May Higgins

If we can get rid of Robertson and bring in one more wide midfielder or possibly another central midfielder if they can improve the first team then we will have a strong looking squad.

At the moment we could field a couple of decent looking teams without resorting to U21 players.

Mannus

MacKay Ando Wright Davidson

Hasslebaink Cregg Davidson Craig

Vine Beattie

Clark

Miller Mccracken Scobbie

Adams

Millar Moon Robertson

Tade May Higgins

But for a club of our size, is that not wrong to be in that position? To be able to field two teams with only Stevie May as your U21 player (you could have played Tuffey in goal for "Team B") can't be the way forward for our club.

But for a club of our size, is that not wrong to be in that position? To be able to field two teams with only Stevie May as your U21 player (you could have played Tuffey in goal for "Team B") can't be the way forward for our club.

Forgot about Tuffey.

Possibly it is too big a squad. The only places I think we are over represented though are central midfield (although apart from Davidson we lack a bit of quality) and up front (assuming the red cards won't continue). I think the cover we have in defence is about right and the wide midfielders are either ok or we could have one more.

I would like to see Moon and May be given a decent chance this year but with the competition for their respective positions it might be tough for them to get an extended run in the team. That means guys like Caddis will likely be used only as U21's for the bench.

No need for a central midfielder. Davidson and Cregg, with Moon and Adams as back up. Millar as back up for Hasselbaink on the right. Robertson as back up for Craig on the left. Higgins the only player who I see not being needed at the moment, as four strikers and Hasselbaink able to play there too is enough.

After speaking to a friend of mine, there is a strong possibility of a 6 month loan deal for Jaime Peters from Ipswich. He has fallen out of Jewells plans and there's a possibility of a permanent deal for him after an initial loan if terms etc can be agreed between both clubs.

http://www.itfc.co.uk/team/player-profile/index.aspx?playerid=214795&tcmuri=11404

No need for a central midfielder. Davidson and Cregg, with Moon and Adams as back up. Millar as back up for Hasselbaink on the right. Robertson as back up for Craig on the left. Higgins the only player who I see not being needed at the moment, as four strikers and Hasselbaink able to play there too is enough.

You can't rely on Moon or Adams being fit. Unfortunately I don't think either will ever make a permanent fixture in the team.

I do think we need a centre midfielder that is more comfortable on the ball than what we've got. We will miss Morris this season. Our strike force is looking quality though!

People don't realise that our defensive record was good at times last season largely due to the fact that we could keep the ball and the other team didn't have it to create opportunities.

As touched on in the thread about how much we are spending, I agree that we should be looking towards bringing through more of our own players.

Using this site, it takes five minutes to see how many senior (i.e. not eligible for U21 rule) players each club have. Saints are right at the top of that table.

21 - Ross County, St Johnstone

20 -

19 - Celtic

18 -

17 - Aberdeen, Dundee

16 - Dundee United, Hibernian, Kilmarnock, St Mirren

15 -

14 -

13 - Hearts, Inverness, Motherwell

We had those seven extra senior players sitting in the stand at Fir Park on Saturday. Motherwell brought on a couple of 18-year-olds and still took a point.

After speaking to a friend of mine, there is a strong possibility of a 6 month loan deal for Jaime Peters from Ipswich. He has fallen out of Jewells plans and there's a possibility of a permanent deal for him after an initial loan if terms etc can be agreed between both clubs.

http://www.itfc.co.uk/team/player-profile/index.aspx?playerid=214795&tcmuri=11404

Lomas tried to sign him in January but couldn't because he'd already played for however many clubs it is you are allowed to play for in a season.

You would wonder if Peters would mean the Daley deal was dead.

another rb? unless he can play on the wing too?

As touched on in the thread about how much we are spending, I agree that we should be looking towards bringing through more of our own players.

Using this site, it takes five minutes to see how many senior (i.e. not eligible for U21 rule) players each club have. Saints are right at the top of that table.

21 - Ross County, St Johnstone

20 -

19 - Celtic

18 -

17 - Aberdeen, Dundee

16 - Dundee United, Hibernian, Kilmarnock, St Mirren

15 -

14 -

13 - Hearts, Inverness, Motherwell

We had those seven extra senior players sitting in the stand at Fir Park on Saturday. Motherwell brought on a couple of 18-year-olds and still took a point.

No way do Celtic only have 19 players.

I think we're about right, maybe 1 or 2 too many but not overloaded, better balanced than last year IMO.

7 players on the stand but at least a couple weren't available, another this weekend. I'd rather be us than Motherwell or Inverness.

Inverness had a red card at the weekend, a couple of injuries & theyre struggling.

another rb? unless he can play on the wing too?

Not sure whether he can or not, but all I know is that Lomas spent a good bit of time on the phone with someone only a few days ago regarding this possibility, and it did seem like it could be happening. Whether it does or not, i dont know, seeing as things change all the time.

No way do Celtic only have 19 players.

Players over the age of 21, they do. Appreciate they have several good U21 players (Matthews, Forrest and Wanyama stick out) but there are only nineteen more senior guys:

Forster

Izaguirre

Wilson

Brown

Samaras

Stokes

Bangura

Commons

Ledley

Ki

McCourt

Mulgrew