An open letter to St Johnstone Chairman Steve Brown

Calypso Kid

Should this go ahead and newco or whatever are languishing in bottom place come the split how will SKY get their 4 Old and infirm games per year?? Is that not the crux of the TV deal

It's a feckin joke and we are told that we need them. Err we seemed to do ok in the1st Division without them as other teams have...

Most of this is generated by the press who have a bias to the West and succulent Lamb.

If Rangers was your dog you would had it to the vet months ago......

Percy. You ask why as a fan I'd consider going back. To respond I'd do it with a heavy heart

and I'd not attend Newco matches. On Friday I scattered the ashes of my dead uncle on the East Stand touchline. I'd go because it's very deep in my heart and I cannot imagine a life without Saints. I refuse to allow anyone let alone discriminatory cheats to chase me away. I despise what Rangers have done to Scottish football across their debased history. But Saints are my team and I will always wish them well. I'm staying for the very simple reason that they have formed a huge part of my life and I've nowhere else to go.

Say no to Newco and yes to Saints

Percy. You ask why as a fan I'd consider going back. To respond I'd do it with a heavy heart

and I'd not attend Newco matches. On Friday I scattered the ashes of my dead uncle on the East Stand touchline. I'd go because it's very deep in my heart and I cannot imagine a life without Saints. I refuse to allow anyone let alone discriminatory cheats to chase me away. I despise what Rangers have done to Scottish football across their debased history. But Saints are my team and I will always wish them well. I'm staying for the very simple reason that they have formed a huge part of my life and I've nowhere else to go.

Say no to Newco and yes to Saints

Bang on... I was looking for the words to respond. I don't watch a lot of football...have no interest in Wigan v Newcastle or Barcelona v Real Madrid....don't have Sky or ESPN.

I love live football, and that to me is watching Saints. I am not going to totally give that up based on a really difficult decision that an individual has to make. Steve Brown will surely understand more than any of us the potential financial impact and what that would mean to Saints.

I don't agree that the newco should get straight into SPL, and, at my level of understanding, think that the financial impact is overstated by those that want Rangers to remain in SPL for whatever reason. I hope that the various Chairmen vote for integrity not income, but will accept that MY club have done nothing wrong to bring this situation on and will therefore not turn my back on them

I agree with Percy.

Is Brown's decision really that difficult? We survived in the First Division for long enough without the TV money or Old Firm crowds. We had plenty decent players on the books during that period too.

Grow a set of bollocks and get Rangers away tae ****!

This is where i am , but will still go to see saints , its in my blood

But wont go to any new co games.

Heres something to consider

Are our beloved chairmen trying to get people to renew their season tickets then basically vote this newco back into the spl

all this adjourning of meetings has made me suspicious as al the clubs wil be sending out s ticket renewals in the coming weeks

Once people have given the clubs their money they will care not if the punters decide to boycott games o

Lets everyone think about it this is not a Secret millions of people Know Rangers are cheats, Bunkrupt, done everbody in sight,

The main issue i have with the whole ****ing issue is this they are due the inland revenue millions of pounds if they get away with this then why is no one here threating to not pay ther tax if they can get away with it. I was threatend a few years back by the inland revenue over a final demand for underpaid taxes for the year they threatend to take me to court, arrest my wages and i would have to pay interest on the debt.

I eventually paid the debt but i had to pay more than the demand was for 99% more.

which i eventually got creditted for .

Yep my underpayment was for 0.01p i had to pay them 1p .

Excellent post Percy.

I won't be back if Rangers are allowed back in. Home or away, cup, europe or league.

I'll always support St. Johnstone but I won't go against my principles.

Unsurprisingly though, the mess that Scottish football is in right now is nothing new as it's the world we live in.

With apologies for duplicating some of the excellent points made in the "Your Thoughts - Newco entry etc" thread, here is the letter I sent last week to Steve Brown. It won't change his mind about capitulating to the mighty Rangers, of course, but he really should be worried when lifelong supporters like me and my family are walking away. And yes (as Johnnny Rotten said) "We mean it, maaaan".

28 April 2012

Dear Mr Brown

We've never met, nor would I expect you to know me. I'm one of the rank-and-file St Johnstone season ticket holders that turns up week after week to support my club.

I have watched Saints home and away - including two European trips - for 40 years and have held a season ticket for around 30 years. In the mid 1980s, when the club was at its lowest ebb and needed every penny it could get, I spent two weeks' take-home pay on becoming a shareholder.

Nowadays, my two children also attend matches and they have a season ticket of their own (not to mention the replica strips, posters etc that generate further income for the club). They are on the point of being 'converted for life', just as I was 40 years ago.

In short, Mr Brown, I am the supporter that every football club chairman dreams of having. Whilst following St Johnstone, I've been abused, bottled and chased by other 'fans'; I've had to endure vile sectarian chanting every time Celtic or Rangers come to town; my domestic calendar has been wrecked by midweek matches in Stranraer and bizarre kick-off times to meet TV demands.

Through it all, I have kept coming back - but now, enough is enough.

Should you vote for, or be complicit in, any arrangement which allows Rangers FC (or any sort of artificially-created 'successor club') to remain in the SPL in 2012-13, my children and I will never return to an SPL match, home or away.

You must be aware that there are hundreds of other supporters at St Johnstone who feel as strongly as this, and many thousands of others at clubs across Scotland.

Over 15 years and more, Rangers FC has behaved disgracefully and illegally. Not content with already being rich and powerful, they have cheated, manipulated and bullied smaller clubs like ours. In recent weeks, Rangers' appalling behaviour has been magnified by their complete lack of shame for their past crimes and by the nauseating sense of self-entitlement which they have shown.

Rangers simply must be punished appropriately for their misdeeds, and expulsion from the SPL must form a part of this punishment.

As a St Johnstone shareholder, I am well aware of the potential financial implications of an SPL without Rangers (though I believe these will prove considerably less severe in practice than has been predicted). But this isn't about money - as you yourself have said, St Johnstone FC could survive in a league without Rangers - it's about fair play, honesty and integrity.

The choices that you and other SPL Chairmen and SPL Board members have to make are choices between right and wrong. It has been notable that even Rangers' manager has agreed this week that a severe punishment such as expulsion would be "the right thing to do, morally".

If the SPL has become so dependent on one club that it cannot take the morally-correct decision and, rather, has to invent 'special treatments' to allow Rangers to remain members, then I cannot bring myself to return, ever.

Mr Brown, both you, and especially your father before you, are honourable men without whom our club would simply not exist in its current form. Your achievements for, and commitment to, St Johnstone have been simply outstanding.

So on 30 April and subsequently, you have a choice about what I will tell my children in years to come: it will be either "Steve Brown is the Chairman who sold the soul of his club by allowing cheats to prosper, and that's why we're not going back", or "Steve Brown is the Chairman who voted for the principles of truth and justice - that's what St Johnstone will always stand for, and that's why we will always support them".

Yours sincerely

Your seriously gonna stop supporting your team just because of all this?

Percy

Given the choice of:

a) A significant reduction in the budget available to STeve Lomas

or

B) Rangers coming in.

What would you take. Because really that is the decision that Steve Brown and the other chairmen are facing. And in a number of cases there is pressure being put on them by their bank managers.

I will be supporting Saints next year irrespective of what happens, I will be buying a season ticket and will be going to away matches. Will I go to ibrox? I don't know I suspect not.

Boycott the NewCo but don't harm the club we all love!!

I can understand people wanting to stand by principles.but boycotting ur own team would just do more harm than good.try and think of the bigger picture,sod wot happens to them lets concentrate on our team,to help them flourish more.saints fans boycotting will make no difference to them if there allowed to stay in the league,do you think they will care,not a jot.so I for one wil be renewing my season ticket and continue to support my team I love.

Percy

Given the choice of:

or

B) Rangers coming in.

What would you take. Because really that is the decision that Steve Brown and the other chairmen are facing. And in a number of cases there is pressure being put on them by their bank managers.

I will be supporting Saints next year irrespective of what happens, I will be buying a season ticket and will be going to away matches. Will I go to ibrox? I don't know I suspect not.

Condone cheating and accepting another CENTURY of your club winning nothing?

If the decision was taken to bundle Rangers to Division 3, would Dunfermline stay up or would Dundee be promoted?

If it's the latter, would gate money really be affected? I'd expect a decent Dundee team would attract more travelling fans than a shite Rangers side.

will Dunfermline ( who are the only ones to publicly come out against Rangers ) still have a vote at the next meeting or will it be Ross County's vote?

You're surely not suggesting there was an ulterior motive in asking for this postponement. (and not turning up because they knew they'd get it)

However, just picture 11 chairmen falling over themselves in the stampede to vacate the boardroom.

Percy

Given the choice of:

or

B) Rangers coming in.

Have you even read his letter? He, along with every other person who is considering chucking it if the newco is allowed in, are well aware of the financial implications.

A financial hit, and poorer quality that results from it, is worth paying to hold on to sporting integrity.

Boycotting the newco is a given, but the extra question people have to wrestle with is do they want to continue supporting a team that plays in a rigged league?

It makes people ask pretty deep questions about why they follow Saints in the first place. It's tough.