Things that old folk say.....

Edstar101

• 2 weeks later...

My mother is slightly deaf and doesn't always hear what is said to her the first time.*

Told her earlier about the new pound coin coming. Her reply was, "What are they wanting a three pound coin for?"

I had to show her the article in the paper.

*Okay. Maybe the second time.

• 2 months later...

I'm watching the 70th anniversary d-day programme on the BBC. Reminds me when it was coming up to my mum and dad's silver wedding anniversary. My mum wanted to go on a Mediterranean cruise, my dad was not keen and came out with the following:

"Cruise, the last time I was on a cruise was D-Day and it was shite!"

They went to Bournemouth.

Grew up in the 1970s. Was going on a family outing by train. An elderly neighbour told me "troops need trains". She had been told this during the Second World War and since then wouldn't use a train.

When we were on the train, I asked my parents where all the troops were......

Reckon said by more older people than the youth of today, " Don't take this the wrong way but "......

That's fatal , as soon as those words are uttered, the defence mechanism kicks in and things are taken the wrong way.

Better to say " not worried if you take this one way or the way it was meant , causing no offence " then still take 3 paces back.

You"ll never win as far as women are concerned .

Ha ha .

Guest The Great Paddy Buckley

Former footballer Ian Dowie is a Rocket Scientist!

Overheard on a bus earlier. Young mother to toddler son, who was reluctant to ring the bell, to get the bus to stop. "Well come on! It isn't rocket science!".

Just how hard is rocket science?

Guest The Great Paddy Buckley

Not heard that for years.. my old man said same to me in similar circumstances over 30 years ago

After my first trip to sea which was in the far east and mega sun tan and returning mid February after five months......ticket inspector at Waverley said to me...Who'se yer faither, Jock the Coalman ???? 

• 1 month later...

After an expensive d.i.y. error by my Uncle _______, His wife Auntie _______ said, "Much use as a chocolate ashtray".

(background to the story. They had moved house, and were in the process of changing things. It was decided to replace the internal doors. Uncle knew best and counted how many doors were needed, then measured the kitchen door. Went and ordered the required number of doors at this size. They were delivered, Uncle went and got someone he knew to come and fit them. Decided to remove and dispose of old doors. Bloke arrives to fit the new doors, it was then discovered that all the doorways were slightly different sizes. My uncle had a sore head from two parties as a result of this.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

No mobile phones when I was young, my mum threatened to write to Santa to tell him I was a very naughty boy.

When I was about 7 the adverts for last posting dates started to appear on the telly. I phoned the operator and asked when the last posting date was to the North Pole. I must have got through to a smart operator as she told me there is no final posting date for Santa.