The Big Turkey Travel Thread

soulfulsaint

I seriously want to warn all saints fans who will go to Eskişehir from İstanbul by bus. There are 2 bridges that passes bosphorus and one of them is almost closed until September. For 25 days istanbul citizens are in deep trouble. Sometimes it takes 3-4 hours to pass the 1 km bosphorus.

Crossing must be really bad. BBC news just showed 1200 people SWIMMING from one side to the other.

Alright troops. Rangers fan and a Glasgow boy here. I have been living in Eskisehir for the past 10 years. The missus is Turkish and we have a couple of businesses in Eskisehir. If you are coming over for the game the best place to go for both pre and post match drinking is Barlar Sokak(Bar Street). It is the street that runs up across from the Ibis Hotel. Piece of piss to find. Eskisehir city centre itself is really small and you can reach everywhere within a 15 min walk. The stadium is about a 15 min walk from Bar Street. The Grand Namli and Ibis are alright. You won't have any bother. The Eskisehir boys take their football seriously by the way. Most Turkish teams have a hard time here. If you need any help or have any questions about Eskisehir you can email me gordoninturkey@yahoo.co.uk.

Alright troops. Rangers fan and a Glasgow boy here. I have been living in Eskisehir for the past 10 years. The missus is Turkish and we have a couple of businesses in Eskisehir. If you are coming over for the game the best place to go for both pre and post match drinking is Barlar Sokak(Bar Street). It is the street that runs up across from the Ibis Hotel. Piece of piss to find. Eskisehir city centre itself is really small and you can reach everywhere within a 15 min walk. The stadium is about a 15 min walk from Bar Street. The Grand Namli and Ibis are alright. You won't have any bother. The Eskisehir boys take their football seriously by the way. Most Turkish teams have a hard time here. If you need any help or have any questions about Eskisehir you can email me gordoninturkey@yahoo.co.uk.

Cheers Gordon. Thanks for yer input, much apreciated mate..:D

As they say in the football world, I am gutted. Me and Mrs Plastered had booked flights to Instanbul only to have a family berievement a few days after, so now cannot go, and will have to go through the process of trying to get money back from non-refundable flights etc.

However we had done some investigation into travelling to the game, and worked out that you can get a ferry from Instanbul to near Bursa, and then a bus from there, about 2 1/2 hours on the bus. This means you will avoid the road crossings, and long bus journeys. You will need to checkout the ferry times, but they run from early morning. It might be worth looking into this option, looks feasible from internet searches. Good luck, and have a beer for me.

As they say in the football world, I am gutted. Me and Mrs Plastered had booked flights to Instanbul only to have a family berievement a few days after, so now cannot go, and will have to go through the process of trying to get money back from non-refundable flights etc.

However we had done some investigation into travelling to the game, and worked out that you can get a ferry from Instanbul to near Bursa, and then a bus from there, about 2 1/2 hours on the bus. This means you will avoid the road crossings, and long bus journeys. You will need to checkout the ferry times, but they run from early morning. It might be worth looking into this option, looks feasible from internet searches. Good luck, and have a beer for me.

Sorry to hear of your loss mate.

Will give an extra shout for you guys. Cheers for the info.:wink:

im just looking into that now i fly into istanbul at 3 do u no the time off the evening ferry and wat time is the last bus to esk

im just looking into that now i fly into istanbul at 3 do u no the time off the evening ferry and wat time is the last bus to esk

We looked at this way already but it turned out to be a bit convoluted with alot of changes and hanging around so although travel time was shorter the entire journey time and hassle factor made it a non starter.

If I were a saint fan and fly to Atatürk Airport, I would take a taxi to Bakırköy (that is a district close to the airport by the sea). I would pass to Kadıköy ( that is a district on the Asian side) by boat from Bakırköy Then rent a car from Kadıkoy to Eskişehir.

It is the most comfortable way, easy to realize, you save time and not expensive if you are 3-4 people.

Why all of you do not think of this alternative. Is it because the traffic flows on left in Scotland or you will be drunk when you land istanbul ? :)

Edited by footballturco

If I were a saint fan and fly to Atatürk Airport, I would take a taxi to Bakırköy (that is a district close to the airport by the sea). I would pass to Kadıköy ( that is a district on the Asian side) by boat from Bakırköy Then rent a car from Kadıkoy to Eskişehir.

It is the most comfortable way, easy to realize, you save time and not expensive if you are 3-4 people.

Why all of you do not think of this alternative. Is it because the traffic flows on left in Scotland or you will be drunk when you land istanbul ? :)

its because we dont have a clue .am just going to get drunk and hope for the best.see ye soon.

do ye do bags of chips?

by the way rangers are deceased.gone.fecked.they are sevco 5088 now.ye wouldnae believe it.

If we got the ferry from Bakirkoy to Kadikoy and then wanted to get the bus to Eskisehir would we get the bus from Harem Otogari? This could be the quickest way out of Istanbul?

(none of us will ever be sober to even consider driving)

Bookies have released their revised Europa League prices this morning and Paddy Power go 9/1 for Saints. We are usually somewhere between 6/1 and 8/1 when we played Rangers or Celtic at Ibrox or Parkhead so the odds compilers seem to rate the Turks pretty highly.

Or for our Turkish friends that would be St Johnstone to win is 10.0

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz