The Big Turkey Travel Thread

soulfulsaint

Who got allocated which hotel then?

I've been put into the Grand Namli Hotel its only got 80 rooms so I'm assuming its a wee place, the other is the Ibis, looks posher, and has WIFI, bugger missed out again.

Flight leaves Edinburgh at 9am a bit late I think.

I've not heard anything from them - has everyone had their e-mailed itinerary?

Who got allocated which hotel then?

I've been put into the Grand Namli Hotel its only got 80 rooms so I'm assuming its a wee place, the other is the Ibis, looks posher, and has WIFI, bugger missed out again.

Flight leaves Edinburgh at 9am a bit late I think.

According to bookings.com,Namli has free wi-fi anywhere in hotel too

To our Turkish friends on here - are both bridges over the Bosphorous experiencing delays? My group are hiring a car to travel to Eskisehir from Istanbul and wondered if the O2 road would be quicker than the O1 if driving from Ataturk Airport?

Landed in Istanbul this evening. For those of you who don't have air con in your room - unlucky!

Here's a few things I've learned so far:

When you arrive at Attaturk Airport, you'll see signs for Visa, there was a masive queue for this when we arrived, but if you keep going there's another visa desk right at the end of the arrivals bit that had no queue (past all the transfer to other flights queues). £10 English note required for visa.

When you come outside, there seems to be no queuing system for taxis, guys will come up and ask if you want a taxi, they will then walk 10m with your cases, flag down a taxi and put your bags in the boot, then ask for a tip :)

Our taxi to hotel in Surkeci (next to to walls of Topkapi Palace) was 43 lira on the meter.

0.3l of beers were 7 lira each in our hotel bar.

Our male flight attendant (a Fenebace fan) said EsEs were good 2 years ago, but not so good now. So we should walk it then.

Looking forward to exploring a bit further tomorrow. See you all soon.

Edited by Sheffield Saintie
flight attendants words of wisdom

Landed in Istanbul this evening. For those of you who don't have air con in your room - unlucky!

Here's a few things I've learned so far:

When you arrive at Attaturk Airport, you'll see signs for Visa, there was a masive queue for this when we arrived, but if you keep going there's another visa desk right at the end of the arrivals bit that had no queue (past all the transfer to other flights queues). £10 English note required for visa.

When you come outside, there seems to be no queuing system for taxis, guys will come up and ask if you want a taxi, they will then walk 10m with your cases, flag down a taxi and put your bags in the boot, then ask for a tip :)

Our taxi to hotel in Surkeci (next to to walls of Topkapi Palace) was 43 lira on the meter.

0.3l of beers were 7 lira each in our hotel bar.

Our male flight attendant (a Fenebace fan) said EsEs were good 2 years ago, but not so good now. So we should walk it then.

braw.

welcome on board. good thing; eskisehir is far better or nice city then istanbul so do not be afraid from eskisehir after seeing istanbul.

another thing, do not believe anything coming from galatasaray or fenerbahce fans. here are the league results of eskisehir from recent years:

2011 - 2012

5 th position, 14w 8d 12l 50 pts

2010-2011

7ht position 12w 11d 11 l 47 pts

2009 - 2010

7 th position 15 w 10 d 9l 55 pts * (4 wins comes from diyarbakır and ankarabelediye without playing because of they were kicked out of league)

2008 - 2009

11 th position 10w 10d 14l 40 pts

so the trend for points is 40-47-49-50

and here are the match results against fenerbahce for recent years.,

eses 2- fb 2

fb 3- eses 0

fb 2- eses 1

eses 2- fb 1

fb 1- eses 0

eses 2 - fb 1

i cannot see any difference during those years based on eses performance. may be we are not so best, but no one cannot say that eses is not good as 2 years ago... it is same (2 years ago and now) so if u wanna believe anything then beliee eses fans, because the fans here are have friendly feelings despite fenerbahce fans.

do not pass the bridge after 4 pm local (gmt +2) pass it before.

you can calculate average time of passing bridge : http://tkm.ibb.gov.tr/yolDurumu/SeyahatSuresi.aspx

by selecting; hasdal and fsm koprusu points from the map and clicking on "en kısa" button.

it is nearly 180 min for 5 miles after 4 pm

and 30 min for 5 miles before 4 pm.

that s why i say "use Sabiha gokcen airport" rather than "ataturk" airport.

http://eastfifefc.info/ef-tv/season-20112012

by the way, honestly i can easiliy tell that this performance will not be enough for eses :) the coordination bw players is not good enough and the so doesnt physic. condition either.

on the other hand friendly matches cannot be a measure also.

Dont worry , we'll be different in eses ! just a warm up .

I think it may be slightly more than that but not by much.

I don't think any of us realistically think we can win in turkey-the difference in finance and class of player being brought in is huge.

For example-you guys had Kris Boyd but he couldn't get a game-yet here he was playing for the champions and scoring regularly!

Turkish-Scottish fans meet, drink and chat is more important than the match score.

I am sure we will enjoy a lot before and after the match.

sure lets enjoy from this opportunity, and hope for the winner is qualify for the group stage.

by the about boyd issue, his condition is not godd when he is came. so he did not get any chance for playing. so it is not that we had lots of high class players. cause we had not. if boyd was in fit, then he would definetly find lots of chance.