Saints - The knowledge

Rich77

Been reading up a bit on Saints' history and wanted to ask: what are the most memorable games Saints have played in over the years? Watched the highlights of the Airdrie game of course, and know about the thrashing of Dundee and the Monaco match at McDiarmid, but what some of the club's other greatest memories? Fair enough it's not the same as experiencing it first hand, but reckon it's the least I can do anyway.

One other question: is there a particular reason that the rivalry with Dundee is much fiercer than with Dundee Utd or is that just how it is?

Other than the ones you have mentioned - 5-0 v Aberdeen at McD, the Scottish Cup replay against Morton at Muirton, beating Dundee 3-2 at Muirton in 79 I think it was, and a few others. Even minor games can be memorable for various reasons, often mad away days to wee teams in the then 2nd division.

Would disagree with your final point about the Dundee teams though.

Out playing the Lisbon Lions in the '69 league cup final,beating Dundee 4-3 with O'Connor scoring a late winner at Dens new year game.5-2 away to Albion Rovers coming back from 2-0 with 20 minutes to go,and keeping the pressure on Airdrie.Loads more ,but that'll do the noo!

get the book bristling with possibilities chief.

saints 3 hamburg 0 1971 at muirton park uefa cup wis braw.

saints 4 dundee 3 at dens new year 1978 wis braw.

saints 7 dundee 2 1997 wis braw

saints 2 rangers 0 ibrox cup wis braw

saints 4 rangers 1 at mcdairmid wis braw

we have had braw days and some real shitters but following saints is magic.

the rivalry with the cities of perth and dundee goes back hundreds of years.its partly to do with shipping and trade .as for the football my age group probably dislike dundee fc more than united although other groups feel that way about dufc.anyway come doon the barossa club some pre arranged home game and i am sure we can give ye a proper history lesson over many beers.just don't make it when its a dundee home match because we all might end up in jail!

reckon i'm not going to get much work done this week trying to look up all these matches...

to be honest haven't been this excited about football for quite a while - so i guess the saints magic is working already...

slf that sounds like a great offer have got to make it to perth as soon as possible now. so far the closest i've got to barossa street is seeing the front entrance of the supporters club on google street view...

'5-2 away to Albion Rovers coming back from 2-0 with 20 minutes to go,and keeping the pressure on Airdrie' - that sounds like an absolute classic.

interesting that different generations have different opinions on the rivalry. i guess the anti-dundee generation is more present on this forum at least that's the impression i have so far

cheers

The 3-3 heartbreak that was the St.Johnstone v Rangers cup game of 1981 when we were seconds away for putting the **** out of the Scottish cup in front of a crowd of 17,500 at Muirton Park. This was the biggest crowd I had ever seen at the stadium and the whole place was absolutely rocking to the foundations. 2-0 down early on, Saints came back to lead 3-2 only for the Gers to equalise with nearly the last kick of the ball. The crowd was still 12,472 short of our record crowd at Muirton. To this day, I have no idea how they managed to get 12,472 more in given that on the day of the Rangers game, you couldnae move it was so packed. This game also led to my first ever visit to Ibrox for the replay which we lost 3-1. We were away up in the top of the Broomloan Road stand and seemed miles away from the pitch. As a 14 year old I was in awe of the stadium.. Great memories..

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UQXdUy5UxDk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great thread. As a ballboy, I remember going into Muirton via the "Players and Officials" entrance, saying hello to Sam Dearn on the way in and being greeted by the wonderfull Jimmy Wallace in the wee ballboys room under the stand.

Then lining up in the corridor waiting on the players so we could run out in formation in front of them and peel off to our positions . Braw

Sitting at my Granny's bedroom window watching the crowds walk up the Dunkeld Road, there seemed to be thousands and thousands, waiting for my Dad who had been for a couple of pints to take me to the game. Getting lifted over the turnstile. Did any kids pay? Standing on the packed terrace then getting lifted to sit on the steel barriers. They were freezing in winter and all 5 year olds wore short trousers. Watching the pipe band go round on the cinder track, I knew the Saints would be out soon. The opposition didn't matter every game was special but I do remember us beating Partick Thistle 4 or 5 nil. We lived in Glasgow back then and my Dad used to fix his shifts so when we were going up to Perth, Saints were at home. Thanks to the Wee Red Book for the fixtures.

Most of the individual games I remember have already been mentioned but I'm sure I'll think of some more.

Good thread.

The 3-3 heartbreak that was the St.Johnstone v Rangers cup game of 1981 when we were seconds away for putting the **** out of the Scottish cup in front of a crowd of 17,500 at Muirton Park. This was the biggest crowd I had ever seen at the stadium and the whole place was absolutely rocking to the foundations. 2-0 down early on, Saints came back to lead 3-2 only for the Gers to equalise with nearly the last kick of the ball. The crowd was still 12,472 short of our record crowd at Muirton. To this day, I have no idea how they managed to get 12,472 more in given that on the day of the Rangers game, you couldnae move it was so packed. This game also led to my first ever visit to Ibrox for the replay which we lost 3-1. We were away up in the top of the Broomloan Road stand and seemed miles away from the pitch. As a 14 year old I was in awe of the stadium.. Great memories..

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UQXdUy5UxDk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great that some of this stuff is on youtube. This is my first chance to see Muirton as well, I was hoping to see it at some point. The Airdrie match was exciting enough, and that was just watching it on youtube...

Great that some of this stuff is on youtube. This is my first chance to see Muirton as well, I was hoping to see it at some point. The Airdrie match was exciting enough, and that was just watching it on youtube...

The player I took my name from is featured in that clip at 18 seconds . Short shorts and a great tache. There is only ONE Jim Morton:D

In the 1990/91 season we had a superb five game run:

• Saints 5 Aberdeen 0
  • Celtic 0 Saints 0
  • Hearts 2 Saints 3
  • Saints 0 Rangers 0
  • Dundee United 1 Saints 2

Might have got the order wrong there but given it was first season back up it was some run. Just a young lad at the time but remember it really well even now. Aberdeen result obviously very famous but other great results there. Big crowds at each one, seemed to be 1000's of Saints fans at Tannadice. Would love to see footage of these games but don't think there is any.

Brilliant seeing Muirton Park again and fans being able to move to the other end at half-time. Wasn't there for that game but was for the 29,000 odd v Dundee....just showing my age now. Love the 'tache on Jim Morton, had forgotten about that. Also seeing Jim Brogan in scoring mood, bloke I work with played for Hamilton for a couple of seasons around that time and says he was his hardest opponent. Memories....thank you!

All of the BIG games that have been mentioned already stand out. For me HAMMERING Dundee on New Years Day was amazing.

Beating East Fife during the record breaking promotion season: Phizzy Scott wonder goal!

Beating Killie in the cup on pens after Tommy Burns lobbed Andy Rhodes in extra time and just hit the bar.

A game against Dunfermline;3-2 @ McDiarmid and three of the best goals I've ever seen from Leigh Jenkinson (2) and Gary Farquarson.

All of the BIG games that have been mentioned already stand out. For me HAMMERING Dundee on New Years Day was amazing.

Beating East Fife during the record breaking promotion season: Phizzy Scott wonder goal!

Beating Killie in the cup on pens after Tommy Burns lobbed Andy Rhodes in extra time and just hit the bar.

A game against Dunfermline;3-2 @ McDiarmid and three of the best goals I've ever seen from Leigh Jenkinson (2) and Gary Farquarson.

Saw Gary Farquhar playing a sad cameo a few years back for Nairn County. He could (and should) have been a Saints legend much like Jimmy Wright back in the day.

Jimmy Wright, the greatest Saints player that most Saints fans have never heard of.

He had more skill in his big toe than most players nowadays wish they could ever aspire to

i mind watching the reserves with jimmy wright and mc'coist no contest

also recall RUMOURS that jr got a bust jaw at his brothers wedding and that jr had a greyhound that he raced but fed it a pie 6 out of seven races it ran