Saints v Aberdeen 18/08/12

That was shocking. Really showed how weak our squad is. For all the talk of us having the most senior squad in the league none of our squad players are good enough to stake a claim. I'd rather play youngsters.

As for the Lomas debate. That wasn't a team out there. Most of the time I'm struggling to see what the formation is. You certainly can't see what the tactics are. Got to admit I'm worried. Just hope all these strikers can get uus out of trouble.

451 with one of the smallest strikers up top while two idiot centre backs think oh am going to punt it every time to see if he might win one against 6 foot 6 defenders.

no one when the had the ball took time to look and control the game oh joddy who i miss you.

the second goal was as stupid as it comes mannus slow coming of his line and wright instead of punting into row z to turn towards your own goal with a player up your a*se

very very poor and with next three games hibs united and celtic were going to struggle

lomas hasnt got a clue stood for at least 25mins in the dugout doing nothing shambles.

I honestly think there were a few positives to take today, but obviously many many more negatives, and Lomas was dire.

Cregg is a good player, he was the only Saints player today to not have a heart-attack when he got the ball, and will be good at the Jody role.

I have never rated Higgins, but can't fault his effort or his brain, just kind of lacks and strength and pace to avoid getting bossed by their defenders.

May offers something different, almost seems to confuse the opposition with his lower-league tricks. I don't really see him as being more than an impact/fringe player, but he was one of the few excitements we had today.

Despite his goal I thought Hasselbaink was dreadful, didn't look like he even wanted to play. However Lomas playing him in the middle for a bit and everyone punting balls 5 feet over his midget head didn't help.

The balloons floating around the pitch made more tackles than Tam Scobbie....

Dave Mackay seems a bit lost recently.

The history books will say the score was St.Johnstone 1-2 Aberdeen. As someone who was there though, I will know better. I thought about waiting a while before posting but then decided I wanted this done and dusted so I could go on and enjoy the remainder of my weekend so here goes...

We were utterly and completely dominated by Aberdeen. They played football, we did not. They had a game plan, we did not. They have a manager who knows what he is doing, we do not.

What I witnessed out there today was embarrassing, shameful and turgid shite. And while Rome burned, Nero stood in the dugout, arms folded and did the square root of ****all. To play one up front on our opening home game of the season is not and never will be acceptable.

To the players...... actually, I am not gonna bother, what's the point. Pretty much most of them were rotten and I am not gonna waste my time going through who and how bad..

Finally, well done to Aberdeen both on a solid victory and also for the decent travelling support of around 1700.. The ( much much) better team won.

That was pash. Lomas Mmmmmmmm, feels out of his depth. Cant buy a win and plays 451, not working, go a goal down plays 451, still not working go 2 down, plays 451. Spawn a goal at the end and think the players chose 433, but still did nothing. We look yet again pedestrian, we have no youth policy to speak of and are bringing in seasoned pros who we can afford. Discussed this years ago with mates and feels like we are going backwards. Anyhoo only the start of the season, we may have decent forwards but looks like we will only be playing one at a time, and cant seem to get the ball up to them. In Langfield they must have one of the worst keepers yet we never got near him.

I honestly think there were a few positives to take today, but obviously many many more negatives, and Lomas was dire.

Cregg is a good player, he was the only Saints player today to not have a heart-attack when he got the ball, and will be good at the Jody role.

I have never rated Higgins, but can't fault his effort or his brain, just kind of lacks and strength and pace to avoid getting bossed by their defenders.

May offers something different, almost seems to confuse the opposition with his lower-league tricks. I don't really see him as being more than an impact/fringe player, but he was one of the few excitements we had today.

Despite his goal I thought Hasselbaink was dreadful, didn't look like he even wanted to play. However Lomas playing him in the middle for a bit and everyone punting balls 5 feet over his midget head didn't help.

The balloons floating around the pitch made more tackles than Tam Scobbie....

Dave Mackay seems a bit lost recently.

Higgins is not, and I fear never will be and SPL standard player. For what it's worth I thought he put plenty of effort in but the simple fact is that the lad is not good enough..

Higgins is not, and I fear never will be and SPL standard player. For what it's worth I thought he put plenty of effort in but the simple fact is that the lad is not good enough..

Higgins was gash today, Fair enough. But what fecking striker, especially a someone like higgy who dosent have pace or trickery needs bloody service. What we did last season and we are still trying it is going direct to our strikers. Last season that worked as we had two big strong guys one of whom sandaza could create something from nothing with his skill. THIS season we need to get better service to our front players or they will all look distinctly average. WE NEED A CREATIVE MIDFIELDER!!!!!!

Higgins was gash today, Fair enough. But what fecking striker, especially a someone like higgy who dosent have pace or trickery needs bloody service. What we did last season and we are still trying it is going direct to our strikers. Last season that worked as we had two big strong guys one of whom sandaza could create something from nothing with his skill. THIS season we need to get better service to our front players or they will all look distinctly average. WE NEED A CREATIVE MIDFIELDER!!!!!!

Have some good strikers but like you say,wheres the driving creative flair supplying them?

I'll get slated for sure but felt we saw the absolute weaknesses in Wright's game today. He had the shocker I knew we would see. It waiting to happen.

Shame we turned in s non-performance like that when folk tried to stir up interest. 1 step forward, 5 back.

Still see us going ok this season but we can't afford not to start properly in every game. We're not good enough to do that.

For all the talk of us having the most senior squad in the league none of our squad players are good enough to stake a claim. I'd rather play youngsters.

Not merely talk as it's 100% accurate but I also 100% agree with you about the youngsters, although in their right position would help. Stevie May is a striker who if he's going to get a chance deserves it to be in his correct position. Disappointing to hear Lomas on the BBC saying we now have no wide right option with Millar injured, when Liam Caddis is sitting on the bench. Folk maybe thought it impossible to find a manager who showed less faith in our youth than McInnes, but Lomas has managed it!

If not their best player today, Ryan Fraser was certainly in Aberdeen's top three and he's 18-years-old.

Despite his goal I thought Hasselbaink was dreadful, didn't look like he even wanted to play.

Funny old game as I disagree entirely with this. See very little I like in Cregg and he's not a patch on Morris IMO. Takes Cregg too long to simply control the football which makes it hard for him to dictate the play as he's always in a rush. Hasselbaink looked tired to me rather than disinterested (and maybe deserves criticism for that) but he's looked our most dangerous players in all three games so far and is the only guy in the side that I feel can really worry the opposition.

Harsh IMO. He's not lone striker, we've seen that today and in Turkey but look at his performance against Bristol City, with the assist for Vine. He's a decent link player and is clever with a decent touch but needs to be played alongside someone else. A bit like Peter MacDonald with Jason Scotland, I think he could be a real foil for another striker.

Wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see him again (for a fair while at least) now though with Vine and Tade back next week.

I'll get slated for sure but felt we saw the absolute weaknesses in Wright's game today. He had the shocker I knew we would see. It waiting to happen.

Shame we turned in s non-performance like that when folk tried to stir up interest. 1 step forward, 5 back.

Still see us going ok this season but we can't afford not to start properly in every game. We're not good enough to do that.

Time for Superdave to slot into the middle of defence and Give Miller a run at right back. McKay has a better football brain IMO, but struggles when isolated out wide 1 on1.

Wright has too many brain melt moments :sad:

Performance was pish as everyone said. However given the players we were missing and the injuries to Midge and Muzz I don't think we can judge Lomas on this one game. Yes his tactics are wrong but the 4-5-1 was arguably down to the players available. Too many of them today just didn't turn up - Craig was woeful, Mackay and Wright off the pace and Higgins just didn't seem to know what he was doing.

The 2nd goal was the icing on the cake though - that sort of defensive cockup was something I thought we'd gotten out of the system. But too often the midfield were unable to find a cutting pass forward and we ended up squaring the ball back to the defence. We've done that several times this season and while it cost us a goal today its also been bloody close in other games.

There were some positives - Nigel took his goal well (thought he did OK today but suffered from a total lack of support especially when he played on the left - don't think Mackay passed to him once). Cregg was solid in the middle and Muzz was good until he went off. May looked hungry when he came on so I'd look to him for a start next week. But Lomas has to ditch the 4-5-1 - we'll have (hopefully) 3 strikers back next week so anything other than a 4-4-2 is unacceptable. We need to start attacking teams from the off - otherwise we'll just "underachieve" again.