Muirton Halt

Carron

Guess the station you are referring to, was the railway platform in Simpson Park where Jeanfield Swifts used to havetheir pitch.

Now turned over to housing.

May have had a set of steps leading up to Crieff Road at the top thebridge over the rail line.

Have a look at thestonework in the wall of bridge and you may detect where it has been filled in.

This was also the case on St.Leonard's bridge,when you could take a short cut through the station and climb the stairs to reach the chippie .

Many years ago, an older family member told me there was a Muirton Halt (this was a railway station), open on match days (been gone a long time).

Anyone know anything?

thats right chief muirton halt did exist.ye will have to check the old PA's ,a trainspotter type dude or an old stonker for more information.maybe try ancient saint as hes ancient.

Was it not where the cold store place was? Roughly where Duncansby Way is?

We used to walk through there to get to the grammar school , 1 morning we had the misfortune to see 2 alky blokes come out of the only building still standing wae there trousers around thier ankles . . . . closely followed by jean rattery wearing only manky trainers shouting abuse at them ! Us being only young we shouted some abuse at them and it ended in a brick throwing fight as it was all rubble in there . . . . to this day i have never forgot seeing naked tramps at 8ish in the morning in the old dump at the white bridge !

Guess the station you are referring to, was the railway platform in Simpson Park where Jeanfield Swifts used to havetheir pitch.

May have had a set of steps leading up to Crieff Road at the top thebridge over the rail line.

Have a look at thestonework in the wall of bridge and you may detect where it has been filled in.

This was also the case on St.Leonard's bridge,when you could take a short cut through the station and climb the stairs to reach the chippie .

Right on both counts, I remember them both!!

My grandad was a train driver and he used to take me up to the marshalling yards to see the trains in the late 50's. Don't remember a platform being there, that could just be my memory or the halt was gone by then. That would seem to be the most likely place for it as the local trains would then run to outlying villages well away from the main line.

Used to cycle to the old High School from Letham and you crossed a bridge over many railway lines towards the dunkeld road. Is that the area? that was the early sixties.

The area I was talking about was off to the right on the Crieff Rd as you go out of town towards what is now McDairmaid Park. It was past the chippy and over the railway bridge (I think, it was a long time ago), Jeanfield Swifts park was there at that time. Where do they play now?

The area I was talking about was off to the right on the Crieff Rd as you go out of town towards what is now McDairmaid Park. It was past the chippy and over the railway bridge (I think, it was a long time ago), Jeanfield Swifts park was there at that time. Where do they play now?

riverside park . At the pitches on bute drive in north muirton .

We used to walk through there to get to the grammar school , 1 morning we had the misfortune to see 2 alky blokes come out of the only building still standing wae there trousers around thier ankles . . . . closely followed by jean rattery wearing only manky trainers shouting abuse at them ! Us being only young we shouted some abuse at them and it ended in a brick throwing fight as it was all rubble in there . . . . to this day i have never forgot seeing naked tramps at 8ish in the morning in the old dump at the white bridge !

If the Police had got them, would they have been charged with having an offensive person on their weapon? :laugh:

Got a mate to check for me. He confirmed there is a bit in the stonework which has been filled in. Very obvious as well.

Thanks for that Slf .

Also,before White bridge and the Marshall yard were built the area was grass fields where sheep and cattle grazed.

The method for crossing the rail lines was over the lade bridge at Dorrans works and a footpath led to the main rail line.

there was a penn style area with a swing gate either side of the rail line where you walked over the lines, before passing A & C Mclennans (of spittalfieldGarage and depot. (where Cameron motors are now.)

Took this route on my way to Muirton Park many times.

muirton halt opened 31st october 1936 for saints fans

muirton halt shut 21st november 1959

sources ; perthshire and kinross lost railways gordon stansfield and angus railway group steam album volume 3 perthshire

Thank you!

Thanks for that Slf .

Also,before White bridge and the Marshall yard were built the area was grass fields where sheep and cattle grazed.

The method for crossing the rail lines was over the lade bridge at Dorrans works and a footpath led to the main rail line.

there was a penn style area with a swing gate either side of the rail line where you walked over the lines, before passing A & C Mclennans (of spittalfieldGarage and depot. (where Cameron motors are now.)

Took this route on my way to Muirton Park many times.

Aha! Another query solved (before I'd asked!). I've seen this path on older maps. Now I know. Thanks!