Lomas Tenure Up?

St Mikey

Said it before. If you equate all of SLs games as a season it currently gives Saints 36 points and points to a dogfight. In fact Caley were relegated in 2008/09 with 37 points.

Games against Brechin or Eskisehirspor have no relevance to an SPL campaign though. His SPL record is 32 points from 29 games, so 42 points over the course of a season. A total well in excess of anything that has seen a team relegated. It would be our worst season since promotion right enough. I think it's a pretty pointless thing to look at though (Lomas will have won a lot more points than Pat Fenlon - who took over at the same time - for example) as our form over the last nine or ten SPL matches would see us relegated, the form over the Lomas reign up to that point would have us right in contention for Europe.

Games against Brechin or Eskisehirspor have no relevance to an SPL campaign though. His SPL record is 32 points from 29 games, so 42 points over the course of a season. A total well in excess of anything that has seen a team relegated. It would be our worst season since promotion right enough. I think it's a pretty pointless thing to look at though (Lomas will have won a lot more points than Pat Fenlon - who took over at the same time - for example) as our form over the last nine or ten SPL matches would see us relegated, the form over the Lomas reign up to that point would have us right in contention for Europe.

Fair enough argument. But he's heading towards John Connolly stats and he's considered a disaster.

John Connolly P39 W14 DR8 LST17.

Fair enough argument. But he's heading towards John Connolly stats and he's considered a disaster.

John Connolly P39 W14 DR8 LST17.

No arguement he's headed that way with the current run of form, although Connolly's record was at a lower level. Unfortunately, there are similarities with their scattergun approach to transfers, with quantity very much the emphasis and the solution to any problem viewed as adding a new player.

Once Connolly signed up his own squad, he was given what must've been eight or nine months in the job though, so still can't see Lomas getting the bullet less than two months into the season, if we're talking strictly about what happens on the field.

Cant see Lomas getting the sack currently being on Browns agenda ( yet )

At least we have the safety net of Scumdee who will finish the season bottom!!

I have as much doubts as most about Lomas but given the unrest over the summer we should give him another 6 games to see how his team do. lets have one round of fixtures then look for a change if thinks are still not good.

He is not really my "cup of tea" to be honest and his comments in the media can often be annoying and tactics questionable to say the least but he is just starting out in management.

He is attracting good players and the players seem to be very happy with him.

I'm looking for 6 points from next 3 games

If we arent seeing real progress by 10 games into the season I will be thinking its time to try Callum?...

Anyone want to PM me the rumours that would be much appreciated as I'm out the loop here in Belfast!

Depending on what they are that my affect my stance on Lomas.

Edited by belfastsaintee

No arguement he's headed that way with the current run of form, although Connolly's record was at a lower level. Unfortunately, there are similarities with their scattergun approach to transfers, with quantity very much the emphasis and the solution to any problem viewed as adding a new player.

Yup, it's also crossed my mind that, whenever we have a bad result (which is fairly regularly at the moment), he seems to want to sign yet another new player. I find this more than a little worrying, as I feel we have a decent squad at the moment (thanks partly to Lomas' own promising signings such as Cregg, Tade, Vine, Beattie and Hasselbaink), which is actually in pretty good shape and shouldn't need added to at this stage of the season (unless an unmissable opportunity comes along - ie another Sandaza, Duberry or Scotland). He should now be working with and improving the players we have, which is surely a big part of his duty as a coach.

Also, we should be able to supplement our established first teamers with fringe players from the youth side - yet I've noticed that Lomas seems to prefer loaning in young players from other clubs instead of using our own. Does this indicate that our own youngsters aren't good enough, or simply that the manager lacks the ability to work with what we have? Either way, in times when money is tight, what is the point of investing in a youth system, when the manager would rather take youngsters on loan from Aberdeen/Celtic/Spurs than develop our own players?

I've always felt that, if you bring in a young, inexperienced manager, you need to be willing to let him make a few mistakes and stick with him over time. I'm not sure Lomas has had a fair chance yet. However, at the same time you can't just ignore warning signs, and at the moment those signs are flashing in massive neon letters. He seems tactically unaware, unable to instruct the players properly, unable to understand expectation levels at the club, and even comes across as a little aloof (his apparent inability to understand the club's ambitions, perhaps partly due to his 'bigger club' background, reminds me a lot of many of Billy Stark's irritating comments while he was manager here).

His post-match comments don't paint him in a good light at all, and I have to say that he's not struck me as a particularly likeable guy (which is perhaps irrelevant if he does well, but at the moment he's not doing well). Whereas our our other recent 'first time' managers have quickly won over most of their doubters, if anything Lomas seems to be doing the reverse. McInnes' displayed a careful, tactical, thoughtful approach to the job, and Coyle made up for his questionable tactical abilities with sheer enthusiasm and determination. From the outside looking in, Lomas appears to lack the qualities of either manager.

I think Saints should, and will, give him more time. But only a little more time. If we lose our next three games, I can't see any way back for him. Saints have a duty to him, as his employer, to be fair to him and help him to get better at his job - but the club also has a duty to save its own skin and make difficult decisions. Right now, I have to say I'll be amazed if he's still our manager by the end of the season - but perhaps he can prove us all wrong.

Yup, it's also crossed my mind that, whenever we have a bad result (which is fairly regularly at the moment), he seems to want to sign yet another new player. I find this more than a little worrying, as I feel we have a decent squad at the moment (thanks partly to Lomas' own promising signings such as Cregg, Tade, Vine, Beattie and Hasselbaink), which is actually in pretty good shape and shouldn't need added to at this stage of the season (unless an unmissable opportunity comes along - ie another Sandaza, Duberry or Scotland). He should now be working with and improving the players we have, which is surely a big part of his duty as a coach.

Also, we should be able to supplement our established first teamers with fringe players from the youth side - yet I've noticed that Lomas seems to prefer loaning in young players from other clubs instead of using our own. Does this indicate that our own youngsters aren't good enough, or simply that the manager lacks the ability to work with what we have? Either way, in times when money is tight, what is the point of investing in a youth system, when the manager would rather take youngsters on loan from Aberdeen/Celtic/Spurs than develop our own players?

I've always felt that, if you bring in a young, inexperienced manager, you need to be willing to let him make a few mistakes and stick with him over time. I'm not sure Lomas has had a fair chance yet. However, at the same time you can't just ignore warning signs, and at the moment those signs are flashing in massive neon letters. He seems tactically unaware, unable to instruct the players properly, unable to understand expectation levels at the club, and even comes across as a little aloof (his apparent inability to understand the club's ambitions, perhaps partly due to his 'bigger club' background, reminds me a lot of many of Billy Stark's irritating comments while he was manager here).

His post-match comments don't paint him in a good light at all, and I have to say that he's not struck me as a particularly likeable guy (which is perhaps irrelevant if he does well, but at the moment he's not doing well). Whereas our our other recent 'first time' managers have quickly won over most of their doubters, if anything Lomas seems to be doing the reverse. McInnes' displayed a careful, tactical, thoughtful approach to the job, and Coyle made up for his questionable tactical abilities with sheer enthusiasm and determination. From the outside looking in, Lomas appears to lack the qualities of either manager.

I think Saints should, and will, give him more time. But only a little more time. If we lose our next three games, I can't see any way back for him. Saints have a duty to him, as his employer, to be fair to him and help him to get better at his job - but the club also has a duty to save its own skin and make difficult decisions. Right now, I have to say I'll be amazed if he's still our manager by the end of the season - but perhaps he can prove us all wrong.

I agree with practically all of this. But Im lesst patient and wouldnt give him very much longer if things dont improve. Edited by SingaporeSaint