Scotland V Serbia 8/9/12 Brazil 2014 Qualifier

541ntees

Not bad but not great. Charlie Adam was good defensively but his final ball and set piece delivery was terrible. I'm getting ever frustrated with Kenny Miller. I'd rather start with Rhodes and if it doesn't work bring the oold guard in. Subs can't make much of an impact in .10 minutes. Caldwell was excellent again. Turning into a class defensive midfielder.

Good manager just not for Scotland he must go now. Get wattie back in there.

http://en.wikipedia....l_football_team

Have a look at the section on managers statistics, you will see that CL's record in terms of results is the best since Tommy Docherty. (apart from 10 games of Alex McLeish) Factor in the quality of players (many of them world class) available to previous managers, and things are just not that bad. Considering the mess he inherited we are doing ok. Serbia were from pot 2! 2nd favourites for the group and I see no reason why Scotland could not get a result over there. Beat Macedonia, then win in Cardiff in December we could still be sitting pretty for the fixtures in 2013. Lots to play for...but as usual we have the boneheads wanting to panic and sack the manager and start all over again.....ffs :roll:

Edited by Smarmy Arab

Scotland were ok in the first half (and not any better than ok). Second half we were shocking my M o M was Greegs which says it all in my opinion. Serbia were there for the taking today if only we got our tacticts right but once again CL failed miserabley. In fairness to him we are not over supplied with quality players just now.

http://en.wikipedia....l_football_team

Have a look at the section on managers statistics, you will see that CL's record in terms of results is the best since Tommy Docherty. (apart from 10 games of Alex McLeish) Factor in the quality of players (many of them world class) available to previous managers, and things are just not that bad. Considering the mess he inherited we are doing ok. Serbia were from pot 2! 2nd favourites for the group and I see no reason why Scotland could not get a result over there. Beat Macedonia, then win in Cardiff in December we could still be sitting pretty for the fixtures in 2013. Lots to play for...but as usual we have the boneheads wanting to panic and sack the manager and start all over again.....ffs :roll:

Apologist for ex manager and his useless assistant, the current manager at Tannadice. :laugh: Comparing Levein to those that have also failed previously does not make him a good manager. Add into that the quality of teams some of the previous managers who you claim he is above have faced when they did qualify for major finals as opposed to your mans opponents. and I call your bollocks and raise you a nonsense..

His 10 wins have been..

Friendlies

Czech .........1-0

Faroes ........3-0

Denmark .....2-1

Cyprus.........2-1

Australia......3-1

Nations Cup

Wales ...................3-1

Nothern Ireland......3-0

Games that actually mattered

Liechtenstein..... 2-1

Lithuania............1-0

Liechtenstein......1-0

So there you have Avrils 10 wins...

Add in todays draw and that gives him a massive 3 wins in 9 meaningful games or a win percentage of only 33%

The man is out of his depth and we will NOT get near qualifying for Brazil whilst he is in charge and Houston is his assistant. :wink:

Edited by The ghost of Jim Morton

Scotland were ok in the first half (and not any better than ok). Second half we were shocking my M o M was Greegs which says it all in my opinion. Serbia were there for the taking today if only we got our tacticts right but once again CL failed miserabley. In fairness to him we are not over supplied with quality players just now.

Had we lost 3-0 we would have 'failed miserably' as it went we created 4 good chances to Serbia's 2.....we should have won, but a point against Serbia is not bad, just frustrating cos we should have had 3!

Can't actually believe the doomsday attitudes of some "fans" after drawing with a team who have better players than us. Yes it was frustrating as we had the chances to win, but it's far from the end of the campaign.

We will do very well to qualify, and personally I don't think we will do it as I think Belgium will probably win the group with us battling it out with Serbia and Croatia for 2nd place. They are all better teams than us, why is that so har door people to understand?! It's not Levein's fault that Adam, Morrison and Caldwell couldn't pass wind all day. And before anyone starts with "well, he picked the team", I personally think he got his first 11 spot on, although I'd rather see Mackie play on Tuesday ahead of Miller.

Apologist for ex manager and his useless assistant, the current manager at Tannadice. :laugh: Comparing Levein to those that have also failed previously does not make him a good manager. Add into that the quality of teams some of the previous managers who you claim he is above have faced when they did qualify for major finals as opposed to your mans opponents. and I call your bollocks and raise you a nonsense..

His 10 wins have been..

Friendlies

Czech .........1-0

Faroes ........3-0

Denmark .....2-1

Cyprus.........2-1

Australia......3-1

Nations Cup

Wales ...................3-1

Nothern Ireland......3-0

Games that actually mattered

Liechtenstein..... 2-1

Lithuania............1-0

Liechtenstein......1-0

So there you have Avrils 10 wins...

Add in todays draw and that gives him a massive 3 wins in 9 meaningful games or a win percentage of only 33%

The man is out of his depth and we will NOT get near qualifying for Brazil whilst he is in charge and Houston is his assistant. :wink:

Good stuff Ghostie...don't ya luv statistics! :wink:

You can only play what's in front of you and Levein's record whether you like it or not is good! All the mangers stats include friendlies. As for the quality of previous opponents, of course that is a factor but equally so is the quality of player available. From the 60's to the 80's Scotland managers had players who were regulars in the last 4 of European competition. How many of the Scotland players today operate at that level? As for Serbia every man-jack of them played Champions League football last season. Levein should have made the changes earlier, we missed vital chances at vital stages of the game.....is there a manager alive or dead who has not suffered the same mistakes?

Seriously, my worry is that the criticism of Levein is way out of proportion, and is reaching critical mass, yet his record does not justify such criticism.

Finally you call Houston 'useless'! 3rd, 4th and 4th in 3 seasons, euro qualifiers in each and Scottish Cup to boot, I challenge you name me the last non Old Firm manager to match that! Whilst losing the gut of his team every summer! His statistics also make illuminating reading.....second only to Wee Jum! or do you prefer to ignore 'facts' and stick with blind prejudice and rash judgments?

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Dundee_Utd

Edited by Smarmy Arab

Well that was pish. Levien said he left ity too late to bring on Forrest,Rhodes & Mackie. Yes 80 mins too late .

To play at home against a poor team with a holding midfielder that hardly touched the ball is just plain silly & sums up Levien`s negative attitude.

The sooner he resigns the better but there is no way that will happen. The poor deluded fool actually thinks he is football manager.

Good stuff Ghostie...don't ya luv statistics! :wink:

You can only play what's in front of you and Levein's record whether you like it or not is good! All the mangers stats include friendlies. As for the quality of previous opponents, of course that is a factor but equally so is the quality of player available. From the 60's to the 80's Scotland managers had players who were regulars in the last 4 of European competition. How many of the Scotland players today operate at that level? As for Serbia every man-jack of them played Champions League football last season. Levein should have made the changes earlier, we missed vital chances at vital stages of the game.....is there a manager alive or dead who has not suffered the same mistakes?

Seriously, my worry is that the criticism of Levein is way out of proportion, and is reaching critical mass, yet his record does not justify such criticism.

Finally you call Houston 'useless'! 3rd, 4th and 4th in 3 seasons, euro qualifiers in each and Scottish Cup to boot, I challenge you name me the last non Old Firm manager to match that! Whilst losing the gut of his team every summer! His statistics also make illuminating reading.....second only to Wee Jum! or do you prefer to ignore 'facts' and stick with blind prejudice and rash judgments?

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Dundee_Utd

Surely being best of the rest in a really diddy league counts for very little?What frustrates me is Utd play great attacking football with a really mobile midfield 4 all flooding forward in support of the two strikers,yet Houstie seems to go along with Avrils defensive attitude.As i posted on the thread earlier,today was my first missed for close on 20 years,after Avril tried to defend 4-6-0 in Prague, i lost so much faith in him.

I really think its a daft comment to suggest Levein's out his depth. If you look at the quality of our squad now compared to when he took over their is a noticeable difference.

Criticism of playing a holding midfielder at home? Barca, Spain, Germany, Chelsea better be told they've got it wrong!!

Yes Levein is cautious, but lets not forget we are playing teams with players of higher quality. I expect us to play more attacking against Macedonia. Truth is we managed to keep a clean sheet with a keeper that had been injured, a rb that has been in poor form for a while now, two heavily criticised cb's and probably our 4th choice lb making his debut. Something to build on, especially considering we were missing Fletcher, Brown, Bardsley and Fox.

Levein has made mistakes (eg- over estimating the ability of his players to play 4-6-0) The call-up of Black was a poor decision aswell, although his form for Hearts was good enough for a call up. The stupid friendly in America also didn't help him, a game we should never have taken on.

His record has been ok up to date and his handling of the Steven "clearly doesn't want to play for us" Fletcher spot on. He now has the squad to give it a good go, I'll judge him at the end if the campaign.

Criticism of Houston is also strange, I think folk are getting influenced by the fact he's a bit of a dobber, because his record at United is very good considering his team gets disrupted every season with the sales of their best players.

I really think its a daft comment to suggest Levein's out his depth. If you look at the quality of our squad now compared to when he took over their is a noticeable difference.

Criticism of playing a holding midfielder at home? Barca, Spain, Germany, Chelsea better be told they've got it wrong!!

Yes Levein is cautious, but lets not forget we are playing teams with players of higher quality. I expect us to play more attacking against Macedonia. Truth is we managed to keep a clean sheet with a keeper that had been injured, a rb that has been in poor form for a while now, two heavily criticised cb's and probably our 4th choice lb making his debut. Something to build on, especially considering we were missing Fletcher, Brown, Bardsley and Fox.

Levein has made mistakes (eg- over estimating the ability of his players to play 4-6-0) The call-up of Black was a poor decision aswell, although his form for Hearts was good enough for a call up. The stupid friendly in America also didn't help him, a game we should never have taken on.

His record has been ok up to date and his handling of the Steven "clearly doesn't want to play for us" Fletcher spot on. He now has the squad to give it a good go, I'll judge him at the end if the campaign.

Criticism of Houston is also strange, I think folk are getting influenced by the fact he's a bit of a dobber, because his record at United is very good considering his team gets disrupted every season with the sales of their best players.

You can't come on here making valid points and reasoned arguements!

Oh and for all those that bang on about 4-4-2, watch the last 10 minutes of the game and count what the longest amount of time we keep possession for is in that spell. In that spell we created one decent chance (Forrest's) and conceded the only clear-cut chance they had all day from open play. 4-4-2 is not the mythical golden solution that Scottish football fans seem to think it is.

As i watched the game, i wanted miller replaced early in the second half , but when rhodes came on i noticed he has an awful lot of basics at international level to learn . Simple things like when closing down a defender with the ball , cut of his direct line of passing to the other defender . Kenny does this brilliantly , its the basics that jordan fails on and there are several . Miller does look on the way down though , wonder if steven fletcher would be better ?