Hillsborough Thread - (A "family Club" - Support The "96")

sasha

After an emotional day, to support he Liverpool 96 and their famillies would it not be right that our club at the first game on Saturday puts away football rivalries and raise our scarves to "Youll Never Walk Alone". The victims have finally been vindicated and admonished of all wrong doing at Hillsborough after 23 years.

At 12.25 pm our "DJ" could put this on and although the Celtic fans will hi-jack the song we can show the world via ESPN that we are one with the football family by either joining in by singing the song or raising our scarf to remember the fans that lost their lives 15.4.89.

I am not a Liverpool fan (and defo not an ex Celtic fan) but some of the stories about the kids who lost their lives that day puts in perspective how special it is to know that my son is with me and safe on match days at McDiarmid.

Over to you Ghostie, Carse of Gowrie Saint, the rest of the Magnificent 7 and all you Saints fans.

Edited by sasha

I pretty much agree with Dev, especially since it is Celtic we are playing. While football takes a distant second place to the shocking revelations today, I wouldn't support us playing a recognised Celtic song that Celtic play to gee up their own fans at their own stadium before our match against Celtic.

Like slf i was at parkhead for our semi final,and it was hinted that it was crowd trouble to start with.Really hard to comprehend that people go to a game and not come home,there but for the grace of God!Not sure it involves Saints, and probably makes it less likely with it being one of thre bigot brothers.

would have thought it was relevant to every team and every football fan in the country. But can see folks point of view with regards to Celtic and that song,.

But for the memory of these people I would have thought we could have risen above that.

As SLF says I remember that day and being at Celtic Park which was subject to the biscuit tin culture, with fans crushed in. The way fans were crushed in to the Rangers end that day it oh so easily could have been a disaster there.

Good idea Sasha - if Celtic(fans) are told that this is why we are doing it and everyone is joining in then whats wrong with that especially as it's on TV as well - it's all for the right reasons but maybe a few folk would need to get over themselves to join in - the problem as usual is actually getting folk to do it in the our sections of the ground and for it not to be just a handful of folk who are willing to take the leap of faith - think it would be a great thing if it could happen and be much appreciated by Liverpool & decent minded football fans and the hopeful good publicity for us as a group of fans who will be seen to be able to look further than just "it's a Celtic song why should we join in" mentality - I don't see any negatives ?

Over to the club really though

I agree with the ones who say -no - I am sure the people of Liverpool will keep the rememberance going for years and decades.

IF the club decided to do something then they would also have to consider BRADFORD and the ones who lost their lives in the IBROX disaster.

Today the people of Liverpool and the Families got what they needed to hear and I think THEY should be allowed to do their own thing.

Nope not for me , sad as it was . I remember that day for celtic park and part time saints taking rangers to a replay , coming out the ground and being bombarded with wine bottles and getting chased up the road by rangers/chelsea casuals . There has been minutes silence/applause for this before , the report has revealed the truth , sorry for being heartless but why do this now ?

Nope not for me , sad as it was . I remember that day for celtic park and part time saints taking rangers to a replay , coming out the ground and being bombarded with wine bottles and getting chased up the road by rangers/chelsea casuals . There has been minutes silence/applause for this before , the report has revealed the truth , sorry for being heartless but why do this now ?

I honestly don't think it's heartless, we're all sympathetic about what happened to the 96 and their families but I just don't think it would be appropriate for a Saints match, especially not this particular one.

Firstly their would be very little coverage as all TV stations cut to adverts as soon as the teams come out and to be honest how many will even be watching the game. It would be a poor PR stunt and its not like we have any connections with Liverpool FC.

I was at Celtic Park that day in 88 and remember walking back to our buses and seeing people just sitting all quiet and as everyone got on and heard the radio it became apparent why. That journey back to Perth was so quiet.

The 96 will never get justice as they never went home, they did the sensible thing and go their early and were crushed to death. Why their was a cover up I just don't understand. Those fans who went into the middle pen did not mean to crush the others, I can only imagine how someone who got in without a ticket or who was pushed into that pen must feel. The design and upkeep of the ground was poor but like all terraces with fences at the front it was an accident waiting to happen.

The 96 however have a lasting legacy in the improvements that have been made to all grounds all over the country, the removal of fences, the better facilities and all seater grounds should serve as a memorial to all those who lost their lives that day.

Leave the remembrance to Liverpool and let us get on with playing our game this weekend.

I can see this from everyone's point of view. It was indeed a memorable day for Saints that day. I still think we could have won that game. Saw myself in the crowd on Sportscene as the camera panned round the Saints support at the end of the game. But it was also a memorable day for others connected with Hilsborough, for all the wrong reasons

I love Liverpool as a city. I have lots of great memories there and go for a visit at least twice a year.

Nice sentiment to play a song - might I suggest an alternative - I heard this song for the first time at a mate of mine's wedding in Liverpool years ago. The whole venue was shaking cause everyone there was singing it (apart from me cause I didn't know the words - I just kind of la la la'd along). You will find a lot of Hilsborouogh tributes with this as a backing track on You tube. But I decided for this one.

My concern (and I wont be there, so doesnt directly affect me) is - If the Septic fans start singing it as a tribute, would it not be churlish not to show mutual support?

I agree, it is unfortunate we are playing this bunch at this time.

Would it not be better to be pro-active and have something official announced to a) have a bit of positive PR for a change, if the comentators even bother to mention it that is and B) steal a bit of their thunder.

By the way, and as a slight meander of topic... do they still do their huddle thing before matches? This is on a par with doing the haka, and a few teams/players have done various things to disrupt or not allow them selves to be intimidated by it. When they start their puerile huddle, the players should sit in a circle and play pass the parcel or something similar and visible. Childish I know, but....