Player contracts and transfers

David123

I am in my 4 year at university and my dissertatiion project is looking at the effects of the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communication Act, on St Johnstone Fans. If any St Johnstone fans would like to participate in my survey for my dissertation project it would be very appreciated!! 

Participants must be over the age of 18. And the survey should take around 5 minutes, possibly less! Should you have any further questions please contact me on 1302585@uad.ac.uk

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PPKNW2D

Rhys Williams, ex Middlesbrough captain, is over here in Perth WA. He's had a falling out with Perth Glory. They don't want to sell him to another Aussie Club. Would probably let him go for free. Had a few injury worries at Middlesbrough but seems to be fit and healthy now. Was a good player only a couple of years ago. What do you think? Can play a few positions.

I am in my 4 year at university and my dissertatiion project is looking at the effects of the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communication Act, on St Johnstone Fans. If any St Johnstone fans would like to participate in my survey for my dissertation project it would be very appreciated!! 

Participants must be over the age of 18. And the survey should take around 5 minutes, possibly less! Should you have any further questions please contact me on 1302585@uad.ac.uk

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PPKNW2D

Completed the survey.

I always think there should be a comments box so folk can say why they have answered they way they have.

Would be a waste of time, we've no chance. 

TW in the papers saying they'll be no signings, but we'll get contract news in the next week. 

TW is the master of not showing his hand.

As regards SM it would be worth a phone call as we do not know what Preston's thoughts are on a deal for SM.  It could easily be down to getting game time as opposed to finances.

Do  pre contracts have to be  signed during the transfer window ?.

No. Once a player is inot the last 6 months of his contract he is free to speak to other clubs. I'd think Saints probably contract players to end of May, meaning that anyone going out of contract this season has been able to talk to other clubs since end of November. 

A club the size of Preston will most likely look to get players back on form before chucking them away - especially since they paid 800k for May from Wednesday.

The boy's not long come back from injury, and Preston aren't going to make much off of him by touting him. Best thing they can do is loan him out. On the subject of wages, we have no chance financially when it comes to competing with other clubs. But we've got the advantage of being the club that gave Stevie the springboard to progress his career down south, so given the fact that he's available on loan, Preston might be keen to loan him out to a club where his previous form can be rekindled, and what better place to do that than the club that gave him quality mentorship to do that. I'm sure Preston would work with Saints on a dual wage deal if it meant that Stevie could come here on loan and receive the mentorship he once did before moving down south. I can only really see Aberdeen as the club who would get him otherwise, as Del was a big fan of Stevie before he chased money down at Bristol. I'll always remember that Hamilton game where he scored 2 goals in the first half on his home SPL debut. But as said, we've got the track record with Stevie whereas Aberdeen don't.

Ultimately though, nothing is ruled out until Big Ben strikes 12, and we all know how tight-lipped Tommy is about potential signings.

Edited by Wee Mental Davie

TW is the master of not showing his hand.

As regards SM it would be worth a phone call as we do not know what Preston's thoughts are on a deal for SM.  It could easily be down to getting game time as opposed to finances.

Preston want him off the wage bill so they can sign other players. Folk who believe they'll go for the worst financial offer are deluding themselves, sadly. 

Preston want him off the wage bill so they can sign other players. Folk who believe they'll go for the worst financial offer are deluding themselves, sadly. 

Glad you know just as much about the running of Preston as you do about Saints.  Where would we be without your inside knowledge!

I get where you're coming from but how is it deluded? This is a young player whom they wouldn't have bought off Wednesday for 800k if it wasn't for his impressive track record with Saints, as well as his few goals for the former.  Clubs like Preston look to speculate for the future, rather than accumulate immediately, so will look at all options available to ensure they get the best out of Stevie as he previously demonstrated at his previous clubs. Look at the pros and cons; loan him out to a team who will pay his wages in full, who don't have a proven track record with him and who don't know him first hand so therefor might not get the best out of him - or loan him out to his first club who gave him the platform to further his career, of whom have the very same manager and backroom staff who built a team around him to utilise his abilities to the maximum. There's an endless argument to be had in that sense.

It would be common sense to first look at his track record and weigh up the said pros and cons of loaning him to his previous club, even if it means they will potentially still have some of his wages to pay - but on the other hand, they would be loaning him out to the club which spring boarded his career, guided by the same manager and back room staff who give him the mentorship to do that. I'm not saying they won't chomp to the bit at the best financial offering, but to say it's deluded not to is a bit extreme isn't it?

Although that being said, we can't compete on a financial level, but as said we've got the track record with Stevie which could potentially see him reach his previous heights. It's all down to Stevie, although full wages and Del's mentorship is unfortunately probably the more attractive option, and most likely road he will go down should he leave Preston in the coming days.

If they were really looking for the best up front financial option, they'd of sold him already.

Edited by Wee Mental Davie

Funny how SM is still on wage bill and they have signed a defender on loan from Everton!!!

Kinda shoots down your theory.