Player contracts and transfers

David123

Is anyone that surprised Danny is going,he did the same thing when saints got his career back on track after his loan spell, saints helped get his contact cancelled then he went to hearts.would rather have eleven players who play for the team,i for one won't be cheering him,he has been cloak and dagger about his contact for ages.lets be honest he has known for ages there has been a contract at hibs,let's give the kids etc a chance.

Agree with most of this above however Saints and (TW) would know as well ,other  clubs are duty bound to advise their present club that they want to meet and talk to the player, It may be this set up only applies if you have offered the said player a contract as well or it is during the playing season. However I am Fairley sure TW and saints knew Hibs were speaking to the player  so no cloak and dagger I would say. If this is not the situation then no doubt we will hear all about it in the press later on . Oh wait a minute it is St Johnstone we are talking about so no news there!

There is no duty for Hibernian or Swanson to tell Saints they are in talks. It's considered a form of gentlemans agreement to do so, TW phoned Houston to tell him we were interested in approaching Alston before we spoke to Alston, but it's not a written rule. 

When Brian Graham signed a deal with County we had no idea they'd been in negotiations. 

That's very true. 

Doesn't change the fact there's no rule about informing the "selling club" though

Is it just a gentleman's agreement Random?

When Saints were after Alston (I think) Falkirk talked about Saints doing everything by the book and informing the Club that they were in discussions with the player and making him an offer. I am sure there was also another case where one of the Saints players was offered a contract and again Saints talked about the correct process being followed.

Is it just a gentleman's agreement Random?

When Saints were after Alston (I think) Falkirk talked about Saints doing everything by the book and informing the Club that they were in discussions with the player and making him an offer. I am sure there was also another case where one of the Saints players was offered a contract and again Saints talked about the correct process being followed.

As far as I know, there's no legal obligation for Hibs or Swanson to tell us they're in talks

The article with the interview is here - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-johnstones-push-fourth-spot-10289028

I don't think there are any rules around it but there is a certain way people should do business and it sounds like Hibs are not one of those clubs. I see Lennon is in the papers saying they are the second best team in the country! 

As far as I know, there's no legal obligation for Hibs or Swanson to tell us they're in talks

I believe this is correct but good relations between clubs are encouraged.

Anyway - who gives a flying f***, good luck to Swanson, he's been back playing football in Scotland for a couple of years now and the only team he's shone with is us. His prerogative to take the money and who wouldn't in his position. We'll unearth another player who will enjoy playing every week in a great team environment.  

The article with the interview is here - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-johnstones-push-fourth-spot-10289028

I don't think there are any rules around it but there is a certain way people should do business and it sounds like Hibs are not one of those clubs. I see Lennon is in the papers saying they are the second best team in the country! 

Yup, it's considered an unwritten rule to inform a club you plan to hold talks. I think it was Coulson who we also talked to a club about first. 

Hibs, and Swanson, have been sleekit here. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39703189

"The pull of Hibernian was too much for me," said Swanson.

"It's always been an ambition of mine to play for the club and I am looking forward to this new challenge and to help achieve their goals back in the Premiership."

"So, it goes without saying, my decision to leave McDiarmid Park was not taken lightly.

"I want to thank the manager, Tommy Wright, who has supported me in so many ways, on and off the field. His trust in me on the football park allowed me to flourish. The way he treated me like an adult off the park also helped me to mature and develop as a person.

"Now that we are in the top six yet again, which is yet another fine achievement, for the next five games it's my focus to make sure I play my part in helping St Johnstone qualify for a European place."

At least he never called them a bigger club...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39703189

"The pull of Hibernian was too much for me," said Swanson.

"It's always been an ambition of mine to play for the club and I am looking forward to this new challenge and to help achieve their goals back in the Premiership."

"So, it goes without saying, my decision to leave McDiarmid Park was not taken lightly.

"I want to thank the manager, Tommy Wright, who has supported me in so many ways, on and off the field. His trust in me on the football park allowed me to flourish. The way he treated me like an adult off the park also helped me to mature and develop as a person.

"Now that we are in the top six yet again, which is yet another fine achievement, for the next five games it's my focus to make sure I play my part in helping St Johnstone qualify for a European place."

At least he never called them a bigger club...

Image result for shitebag

Not like you to be so harsh Ric, you seem to be taking this one sore!  Danny's career was severely curtailed by injury he has probably half the appearances of most 30 year olds, I suspect that situation will be on his mind, I doubt many would pay a fee for a player with his injury record (Muzz in the same boat?), so if a chance comes up to play for his home town club he supported as a boy I can understand why he went there, a good time to go as well. Hibs are on an upward trajectory and playing very well under Lennon a creative player like Swanson will be an asset.  Bottom line for Saints if they wanted him to stay longer, they should have signed him for longer.....Cest' la vie go find another!  On the bright side, he was a major contributor to another fine season, compare his contribution to James McFadden....who despite obvious talent and an impressive CV never delivered in similar circumstances.   Tony Andreu may well be looking for a top flight club next year.....I'm not convinced it will be at Tannadice! ;)

Can't imagine many people would have a problem with him signing for the club he supports. If I was a footballer and I had the chance to sign for Saints and get a pay rise, I wouldn't think twice. I do think that in Swanson's case, though, he's twice strung us along and that doesn't go down well. But he still has a job to do here and if he turns on a level of performance in the last five games that helps us get into Europe then I'll be delighted with that. The environment at Saints seems to suit him well, and I'll be quite surprised if he finds an equivalent environment at Hibs, but we'll see.

Yet again in this situation I'm left wondering why these things are made public. It can't be great for any of the parties involved. Why not just wait until the season's finished?

Guest ScottMann

Not like you to be so harsh Ric, you seem to be taking this one sore!  Danny's career was severely curtailed by injury he has probably half the appearances of most 30 year olds, I suspect that situation will be on his mind, I doubt many would pay a fee for a player with his injury record (Muzz in the same boat?), so if a chance comes up to play for his home town club he supported as a boy I can understand why he went there, a good time to go as well. Hibs are on an upward trajectory and playing very well under Lennon a creative player like Swanson will be an asset.  Bottom line for Saints if they wanted him to stay longer, they should have signed him for longer.....Cest' la vie go find another!  On the bright side, he was a major contributor to another fine season, compare his contribution to James McFadden....who despite obvious talent and an impressive CV never delivered in similar circumstances.   Tony Andreu may well be looking for a top flight club next year.....I'm not convinced it will be at Tannadice! ;)

It's quite obvious that people appreciate why he's gone to Hibs. It's the way it's been done that's p'd folk off.

It's quite obvious that people appreciate why he's gone to Hibs. It's the way it's been done that's p'd folk off.

I get that Scott, but he is entitled to weigh up his options.....probably better to wait, than commit with half a season to play, that would really make a rod for your own back.

We have been lucky the last few seasons that we have had a quick attacking winger in our side that brings assists and goals (O'Halloran and Swanson). Be interesting to see who is brought in during the summer as I imagine Tommy will want a similar type of player. The quicker we qualify for Europe, the easier it might be to get somebody signed up before other clubs start showing interest.

Guest ScottMann

I get that Scott, but he is entitled to weigh up his options.....probably better to wait, than commit with half a season to play, that would really make a rod for your own back.

It's only a rod if you want to sign for someone else. Others managed to commit themselves with half a season to play but they obviously wanted to be here. He's waited, strung Saints along then committed himself to Hibs as soon as they were promoted and that was obviously his number one intention all along. 

It's only a rod if you want to sign for someone else. Others managed to commit themselves with half a season to play but they obviously wanted to be here. He's waited, strung Saints along then committed himself to Hibs as soon as they were promoted and that was obviously his number one intention all along. 

United had this situation with Chris Erskine last season, he signed a pre contract with Plastic Whistle in January.....he never earned his wage from that moment on, not entirely his fault.....the manager hardly played him......the fans turned on him.....total waste of a wage, when we needed creative players on the park earning their salary.  Its hardly a perfect system, but this is all part of the post Bosman legal framework.   I would argue, for Saints its better to have a high earner being professional ( ;) ) and contributing on the park each week, rather than the side show of his next move..... as I said before if Saints wanted him longer they should have signed him longer, its the law of the land!

Twice he's had an opportunity to get his career back on track at Saints and twice he's bolted at the first opportunity to do so. At the very least he could have respected TW enough to tell him his plans. On the same day that this story broke TW was in the media discussing him signing on with us again.

He's a shitebag.

Guest ScottMann

United had this situation with Chris Erskine last season, he signed a pre contract with Plastic Whistle in January.....he never earned his wage from that moment on, not entirely his fault.....the manager hardly played him......the fans turned on him.....total waste of a wage, when we needed creative players on the park earning their salary.  Its hardly a perfect system, but this is all part of the post Bosman legal framework.   I would argue, for Saints its better to have a high earner being professional ( ;) ) and contributing on the park each week, rather than the side show of his next move..... as I said before if Saints wanted him longer they should have signed him longer, its the law of the land!

How ridiculous. We signed him on a short contract. He left us for Hearts. We signed him on a longer contract and he's off to Hibs. Maybe we should have given him a 10 year deal just to be safe. Your little darling of a player is just a shyster.