Player contracts and transfers

David123

Were we interested in Alex Harris once before? Would love to see us get a winger with a bit of speed, ability to beat defenders, get to byline and put in accurate crosses.

Edited by Jad

Were we interested in Alex Harris once before? Would love to see us get a winger with a bit of speed, ability to beat defenders, get to byline and put in accurate crosses.

Funnily enough I believe BEaston comes out as one of the top at crossing the ball for assists in the league. Doesn't have many of the other qualities you mention though :)

No chance we'll go for Harris.

Our unspoken policy for signing Championship players normally follows the following criteria:

1.  Tried and tested at Premiership level (Craig, Watson etc)

2. Relatively young player with proven consistent qualities to be challenged at a higher level without previous experience (ie Blair  Alston)

3. Has a decent accumulation of recent playing time (excluding injury implications).

4. Cheap as f*ck and not a c*nt

Going by this - Alex Harris is sh*te, even by our standards

Edited by Wee Mental Davie

Tommy tipping Mannus to sign a new contract with Saints - https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/424369/alan-mannus-set-sign-new-deal-st-johnstone/

Wright said: “I had a good chat with Alan the other day and I am hopeful we can tie up a contract extension in the next few days.

“It has been very positive.

“I want him to stay and the feeling I get is that he wants to stay.

“We still have a little bit of work to do on it but hopefully that can be sorted out quickly.

“There are a few players whose futures have still to be sorted out and getting into the top six again obviously helps out with the budget.

“We never wanted Alan to leave. The fact he wasn’t playing until six or seven weeks ago, we thought he might not want to stay. But he has got back in and done well for us.”

Wright believes he has best pair of keepers in Scotland.

“Having two number one keepers does have the potential to cause problems but I know Alan and Zander and it has never been an issue,” he said.

“They are good for each one another, pushing each other every day in training.

“Having two quality goalkeepers has been important for our success this season.

“I don’t know if there is any club in the country with two such good keepers on the books.

“You could argue maybe Craig Gordon and Joe Lewis are better number ones but we have probably the best in terms of two to pick from.

Guest ScottMann

I get the impression at times that some folk believe in this 'natural order' crap we get fed. Forget the name and history. Hibs have been crap for years and have just taken 3 seasons to get out of the 2nd Division. Anyone that can't get a game for them isn't good enough for us.

I really like both Mannus and Zander as players - I am really impressed by their abilities and attitude, and I don't particularly want to see either of them leave. However, it seems to me that having two top quality keepers is quite a luxury for a club with Saints' budget - surely this cant be sustainable. Would we be better off spending the money on having more options for strikers and just take the hit that comes from having a less able but cheaper keeper playing for a few games if/when the number one keeper is injured. I am sure that having two keepers does keep them both 'on their toes' but does it really translate into points saved/gained?

Guest ScottMann

I really like both Mannus and Zander as players - I am really impressed by their abilities and attitude, and I don't particularly want to see either of them leave. However, it seems to me that having two top quality keepers is quite a luxury for a club with Saints' budget - surely this cant be sustainable. Would we be better off spending the money on having more options for strikers and just take the hit that comes from having a less able but cheaper keeper playing for a few games if/when the number one keeper is injured. I am sure that having two keepers does keep them both 'on their toes' but does it really translate into points saved/gained?

This is a discussion we've had for in the pub for years...is it better to have a great keeper and weak strikers or a top striker and dodgy keeper. Who would win you more points? Saints don't exactly help the argument by having recently benefited from the form of both Mannus and May at different times. 

Hate to say it but with the priorities of the modern game the head says a class keeper is the priority as I think he'd win you more points. The heart says a striker though as I'd rather win 4-3 every week than 1-0!

Bottom line is I'd be delighted if we Mannus signed on again and we had him and Zander. It's not too fanciful to think that Zander could have another cracking first half of next season and be away in January and we could be without either of them!

Guest ScottMann

Come to think of it Mannus turned down a UEFA Cup campaign with Shamrock Rovers to come and sit on our bench for a season. He obviously just loves Saints!

This is a discussion we've had for in the pub for years...is it better to have a great keeper and weak strikers or a top striker and dodgy keeper.

I think this is a different, albeit related, question. There is no doubt that having a top keeper will save/earn a good number of points. Given our manager is an ex-keeper it is hardly surprising that he would prioritise good goalkeeping. The problem Saints have is whether it is cost effective to have two top keepers. It was great to have Zander come in when Mannus wasn't playing, but it means that Saints have paid for a keeper to sit on the bench for most of the season. You can only play one keeper at a time, whereas you can bring on strikers to change things about - you can actually get some value out of them.

If I was a millionaire, I would own *lots* of cars, and I wouldn't mind that they spent most of their time in the garage cos I could just choose to drive which ever one I fancied and not care about the extra costs of insurance, maintenance etc.

However, how many people when they are struggling for cash, will own two cars just in case one breaks down? Even if your livelihood depended on being able to drive, I suspect most people would have one car and then hire another should the need arise.

If Saints plan to sell Zander any time soon, then of course, re-signing Mannus is a no-brainer. However, I don't really see the point of signing them both up for a prolonged period of time.

Guest ScottMann

I think this is a different, albeit related, question. There is no doubt that having a top keeper will save/earn a good number of points. Given our manager is an ex-keeper it is hardly surprising that he would prioritise good goalkeeping. The problem Saints have is whether it is cost effective to have two top keepers. It was great to have Zander come in when Mannus wasn't playing, but it means that Saints have paid for a keeper to sit on the bench for most of the season. You can only play one keeper at a time, whereas you can bring on strikers to change things about - you can actually get some value out of them.

If I was a millionaire, I would own *lots* of cars, and I wouldn't mind that they spent most of their time in the garage cos I could just choose to drive which ever one I fancied and not care about the extra costs of insurance, maintenance etc.

However, how many people when they are struggling for cash, will own two cars just in case one breaks down? Even if your livelihood depended on being able to drive, I suspect most people would have one car and then hire another should the need arise.

If Saints plan to sell Zander any time soon, then of course, re-signing Mannus is a no-brainer. However, I don't really see the point of signing them both up for a prolonged period of time.

I know exactly where you're coming from. I expect we'll find out the wisdom of the move when the squad is finalised. If there isn't at least one guaranteed 30 goal a season striker brought in then I'll curse our luxury goalkeeping situation. :)

In the good old days we had twin goalies - Jim Donaldson and Derek Robertson. Jim was probably number one, but Derek was pretty excellent on his day, especially when he was sober.

In the bad old days we had a bloke called Arrol. He probably would have been better with a couple of pints in him before he played.

Edited by AthensSaint