Player contracts and transfers

David123

I personally think that's a decent squad to be starting the campaign with. 

These kids we keep talking about are 20, 21 and 22. Hardly bairns. Half the England national team are that age. Time for them to be given a chance. 

And remember these other teams making signings have also lost a lot more players than we have and need new players desperately. 

We have the luxury of a squad already in place. 

I think folk are assuming the young lads stepping up are there for decoration only.

About seven of them have around five appearances combined in the top two flights of football. Hurst, Comrie, Gordon, Kerr, Gilchrist, McLean and Hurst. I might even be over estimating that amount of appearances.

Thomson is still a complete unknown, and I'm still unconvinced he can contribute assists and goals to any real effect over a season. 

We can't be reliant on them, like it or not, as they could all be absolutely gash and we'd be stuck with them, sadly I think Brown is getting twitchy about spending so much on the youths and he's trying to force TWs hand into playing them. 

Thomson scored one & caused the other at Pittodrie.

Tommy has no faith in youth. He has 7 or 8 defenders & he is still looking to bring in a left back..

As someone said there are guys playing for England younger than our youths.

Coulson and Thomson have almost exactly the same amount of minutes for us in the top flight. Coulson has more assists. 

I've absolutely no idea why English youngsters being played has any relevance to us. France have 16 year olds playing, maybe we should just chuck in our u17 squad. After all theyre young so they should definitely be given a game, and they cant be bad because players that age play elsewhere, can't see what we've to lose tbh, especially when you consider we've had four youngsters able to step up in the last decade, I can fully see us having seven all at the same time. 

Coulson and Thomson have almost exactly the same amount of minutes for us in the top flight. Coulson has more assists. 

I've absolutely no idea why English youngsters being played has any relevance to us. France have 16 year olds playing, maybe we should just chuck in our u17 squad. After all theyre young so they should definitely be given a game, and they cant be bad because players that age play elsewhere, can't see what we've to lose tbh, especially when you consider we've had four youngsters able to step up in the last decade, I can fully see us having seven all at the same time. 

Dont think anyone was suggesting that

About seven of them have around five appearances combined in the top two flights of football. Hurst, Comrie, Gordon, Kerr, Gilchrist, McLean and Hurst. I might even be over estimating that amount of appearances.

Thomson is still a complete unknown, and I'm still unconvinced he can contribute assists and goals to any real effect over a season. 

We can't be reliant on them, like it or not, as they could all be absolutely gash and we'd be stuck with them, sadly I think Brown is getting twitchy about spending so much on the youths and he's trying to force TWs hand into playing them. 

It's 5 more than Scougall managed at their age 

I think Thomson has shown that he has the ability to influence a game, the question is not whether he can do it, but can he do it on a regular basis.

We have already seen Comrie for instance play at right back and he has done well, and is able cover for Foster.  The fact that Foster and Craig can both play at left back, I don't see the urgent requirement to get an experienced left back in.

Overall I think a striker and a replacement for Swanson are the priority.

A jewel?!

Apparently he's seen as the replacement for Coulson, in the "back up/different option" role in the squad. He's a genuine left winger which we've needed for years, he averages a goal or assist every 180 minutes for Cheltenham in League Two, and has a similar record for Kilmarnock in the top flight. 

He was one of the most electric wingers in the league a few seasons back but I think he got an injury which ruined that season for him. 

Apparently he's seen as the replacement for Coulson, in the "back up/different option" role in the squad. He's a genuine left winger which we've needed for years, he averages a goal or assist every 180 minutes for Cheltenham in League Two, and has a similar record for Kilmarnock in the top flight. 

He was one of the most electric wingers in the league a few seasons back but I think he got an injury which ruined that season for him. 

We don't need a replacement for Coulston. We need a replacement for Swanson.

This pre season signing linked players don't inspire greatness with myself, Last season signings were mostly okay,foster the best of the bunch, Alston did okay might settle better this season, Paton played well in most games he played coulson looked okay in a few games but injuries and confidence ruined his season, Watson was great in some games but to many injuries,let's hope the calibre of player improves Tommy has a lot of rebuilding now Tam, Swanson has gone,I see in today's courier easton touch and go for Europe first leg knee issues with no tam might have to be young lad or Craig to cover 

Guest ScottMann

Released after 36 games for the team that finished 21st in the English 4th division last season. Inspiring stuff.

Still, we already have one player on board that ended his failing English career at Cheltenham and I suppose he's done ok for us!

It's not like James Dayton is an unknown player in Scotland. He's a player who's played a lot of games up here and has quality to change a game. Yes he's an enigma and may go missing for half a season, but I'd much rather have a player like him on the bench than Coulson, who isn't good enough. We have no real left winger and nobody with pace and ability to produce magic. If it's the right deal and a straight swap with Coulson then I'd 100% take Dayton in that role. He'd give excellent cover and competiton for our other midfielders. 

It's not like James Dayton is an unknown player in Scotland. He's a player who's played a lot of games up here and has quality to change a game. Yes he's an enigma and may go missing for half a season, but I'd much rather have a player like him on the bench than Coulson, who isn't good enough. We have no real left winger and nobody with pace and ability to produce magic. If it's the right deal and a straight swap with Coulson then I'd 100% take Dayton in that role. He'd give excellent cover and competiton for our other midfielders. 

Agree with this entirely. If he still has pace (which he should do at only 28) he'll be a very decent option for us, especially as he's natural on the left. Dayton has a great delivery on his left foot as well. I honestly still don't know what Coulson was supposed to bring to us. He didn't have any real identifiable strength.