Player contracts and transfers

David123

It's not like James Dayton is an unknown player in Scotland. He's a player who's played a lot of games up here and has quality to change a game. Yes he's an enigma and may go missing for half a season, but I'd much rather have a player like him on the bench than Coulson, who isn't good enough. We have no real left winger and nobody with pace and ability to produce magic. If it's the right deal and a straight swap with Coulson then I'd 100% take Dayton in that role. He'd give excellent cover and competiton for our other midfielders. 

As long as he's better than Coulson then none of us would care how shite he is.

It's not like James Dayton is an unknown player in Scotland. He's a player who's played a lot of games up here and has quality to change a game. Yes he's an enigma and may go missing for half a season, but I'd much rather have a player like him on the bench than Coulson, who isn't good enough. We have no real left winger and nobody with pace and ability to produce magic. If it's the right deal and a straight swap with Coulson then I'd 100% take Dayton in that role. He'd give excellent cover and competiton for our other midfielders. 

Dayton would have been a good signing for the Saints of 6-7 years ago, but we've got to be aiming for better than him, given how well we've been doing.

Not right to say he is a replacement for Coulson as that would be to suggest that Coulson needs replacing. I'd rather be looking for 2 Swanson replacements.

Interested to hear you think we should be going for.

I think when you see the likes of Scott Allen going to Dundee and Spittal to Partick, these are the type of player we should be competing for. Don't get me wrong, Dayton might be a great signing, but his recent record doesn't sound great.  That said, we've got history for taking unfashionable and often undrrrated player on and improving them. 

I think when you see the likes of Scott Allen going to Dundee and Spittal to Partick, these are the type of player we should be competing for. Don't get me wrong, Dayton might be a great signing, but his recent record doesn't sound great.  That said, we've got history for taking unfashionable and often undrrrated player on and improving them. 

I wouldn't say the recent records of Spittal and Allan sound especially great either.

I wouldn't say the recent records of Spittal and Allan sound especially great either.

Agree, but both have the potential to be better players I'd argue than Dayton. Scott Allen in particular is exactly the type of player we need and do well with. Career slightly off track and looking to get going again.

To be fair, I doubt Tommy wouldn't be interested and probably out of our reach.

Its that type of player though I'd hope we'd be signing. Problem is though, not many out there and even fewer in our budget.

I actually think we don't need to add much to the squad just yet. I'd like to think Thomson and the other young lads could 'replace' Swanson and Scobbie.

Agree, but both have the potential to be better players I'd argue than Dayton. Scott Allen in particular is exactly the type of player we need and do well with. Career slightly off track and looking to get going again.

To be fair, I doubt Tommy wouldn't be interested and probably out of our reach.

Its that type of player though I'd hope we'd be signing. Problem is though, not many out there and even fewer in our budget.

I actually think we don't need to add much to the squad just yet. I'd like to think Thomson and the other young lads could 'replace' Swanson and Scobbie.

Bearing in mind we have had a couple of youth players, 1 first team player and potentially another 2 first team players going out - add in that new boy's wage, we've probably got the budget for another 2 decent signings, better than what we have now, under those conditions - not that I know of Saints' finances but our transfer activity shows that our budget shouldn't be as tight to get a player like Scott Allen in - if so, then it's worrying.

Edited by Wee Mental Davie

I am not too bothered about the Scott Allen situation, He really has a lot to prove to me yet, he was looking good for Hibs yes but that Hibs team finished 3rd In the championship that year if I  remember every time he has stepped up a league he has not looked good at all last time I saw him play was for Celtic and he was poor that day.

I am hoping the Blair Spitall to Thistle is we have got someone else coming in and committed as it would appear we have cooled on that one as we were at an advanced negotiating  stage with him a couple of weeks ago,   

Lee Erwin could be a possibility on a loan but may be a later in the window signing as Leeds are in uproar again with another new manager coming in.          

Still got my fingers crossed that they've held off announcing Scougall until he's back from his holiday.

I heard from someone in the press a few weeks back that St Johnstone were Scougall's first choice if the contract was right. 

I reckon we'll hear if he's signed tomorrow if he will, would be gutting if we sign him after the European deadline, or any other player for that matter. The European games should be used to encourage to sign in the next few days with us.

Allan was hyped up massively at Dundee United but got his move when he'd started just four SPL games. He ended up at Hibs after two years, four clubs and little over 30 games in England. He did well at Easter Road but as pointed out, he was playing for a very big club in the second tier. He's started 6 league games since leaving Hibs two years ago.

It could be a good signing for Dundee and I wouldn't be shocked if it was but if Saints are chasing Scougall then we weren't in a position to go after Allan at the moment.

On Spittal, where does he fit in to the criteria of player Wright was looking for? To me, he's far too similar to Wotherspoon and Alston.

Would you rather have Allan on loan for a year or Scougall contracted permanently? 

Is Spittal better than Wotherspoon, Alston or Thomson? 

Both Allan and Spittal seem to have a reputation they've garnered from nowhere 

Scougall for me. Always prefer a player that will potentially have some value to us over a loan. But, maybe a loan player of decent enough quality can contribute.

I think on Alston and Wotherspoon, what would be great is more consistency from both then we wouldn't need anyone else. Alston looked good some games and a bit meh in others. Wotherspoon, if he played every game like he sometimes can, he's be playing at a way higher level.

Where are folk getting this stuff about Scott Allan being a great player? He was a decent prospect at Utd, had half a decent season at Hibs and the only reason Celtic signed him was to get it up The Rangers. Poor man's Chris Millar IMO. By this time next week we'll have 2, possibly 3 new signings and be set to take the upcoming season by storm. Start saving for Europe next season lads as I think we could be looking at 8 games minimum. COYS.

Guest ScottMann

I reckon we'll hear if he's signed tomorrow 

IF we have signed him it'll more than likely be Monday we'll announce it in time for the PA Tuesday edition. If we hear anything tomorrow then it'll be him signing for Hearts or someone else I'd expect.

IF we have signed him it'll more than likely be Monday we'll announce it in time for the PA Tuesday edition. If we hear anything tomorrow then it'll be him signing for Hearts or someone else I'd expect.

I don't think the club are bothered about announcing signings in sync with the PA anymore. Social Media has the priority now.

Guest ScottMann

I don't think the club are bothered about announcing signings in sync with the PA anymore. Social Media has the priority now.

The last two major announcements suggest otherwise with the McClean signing announced on a Monday and the new strips on a Thursday.

The PA have even got UEFA in their pocket with the draw being held on a Monday instead of a Friday too. :wink: